Subject: (FRNETMIB) Announcing the new frnetmib email list

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:46:19 -0500 (EST)

As I warned you in Orlando:

The list is dead, long live the list ...

From this moment forward, PLEASE do not use the old frs-mib email list
any longer.  Instead, please use:

[email-masked]

The official archive is at
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/frnetmib/

Steve, please update the frnetmib charter web page ASAP to point to the
new list and archive.

I am working with Newbridge to get the old list to point to the new
list.  However, that may take a bit of time.

There were only five addresses on the old list that bounced back at me.
They are:

[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

If anyone has any updates on these addresses, please let me know and
I'll re-add them to the new list.

I would again like to thank Sun for hosting the new list.  The rest of
this email is information on how Sun has implemented SPAM and other
junk email elimination on its IETF lists.

Sun hosts a number of IETF email lists, now including the frnetmib
list. They all use the same mechanism, so this will be familiar to
those of you, for example, on the ion or ipng lists.

You are all automatically approved for sending email to the frnetmib
list from the email account by which you have subscribed to the list,
and was included in the subscription notice sent to you earlier today.
However, what if you want to send from another account, such as from a
different host at your company, or from your personal ISP account?

Whenever you send from a previously unencountered email address, your
message will be kicked up to me, and I will see if it looks like a
valid email message (as opposed to SPAM, or other junk mail such as a
mailer bounce notice).  If it is a valid wg email, I will approve its
sending, and add your new email address to a separate "autoapprove"  
list.  You'll then receive a message stating:

"Welcome to the autoapprove mailing list!"

>From that point on, that address will be automatically approved to
send message to the list.

Of course, I will just delete SPAM and junk mail without approving
their being sent to the list.  So I get to see it, and save the rest of
you the bother.

This adds a bit of a delay the first time you send from a new account,
but I think you'll agree that it's worth it to be rid of the junk. This
has worked very well on the other lists that Sun administers.

If you have received this, it means that the new list is working :-),
and I encourage you all to start posting to
[email-masked] instead of the old address.

Note that you MUST use [email-masked] - just using
sun.com or eng.sun.com will bounce.  Now would be a good time to put it
in your address book!

Thanks much,
Andy
________________________________________________________________________
Andrew G. Malis  [email-masked]  phone:978 952-7414   fax:978 392-2074
Ascend Communications, Inc.        1 Robbins Road     Westford, MA 01886

X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe frnetmib' in the body of the message.