Subject: (FRNETMIB) ATM and Frame Relay Cross Connections

From: "Rehbehn, Kenneth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:21:16 -0400

A draft of the Frame Relay/ATM IWF MIB is now available.  In the
course of designing the IWF MIB it became clear that the cross-connect
paradigms of the ATM MIB and Frame Relay Service MIBs do not extend
adequately to support the case of the interworking function.  The
authors of the Frame Relay/ATM IWF MIB and the ATM MIB have come up
with two approaches to extending these MIBs.  We want the working
groups to settle on an approach so that the FR/ATM MIB can be
completed.

The FR/ATM IWF MIB can be found at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-frnetmib-atmiwf-02.txt

What do folks think:  Option 1 or Option 2?

Thanks,
Ken Rehbehn

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = 

OPTION 1 - Generic IWF Support

In this approach, the ATM and Frame Relay (Service) MIBs are changed
to indicate an interworked connection.  The exact type of IWF is
identified with the OID of the IWF MIB that applies to the connection.
In the case of the frame relay to ATM PVC Service IWF it would be
frAtmIwfMIB { experimental 97 }.  This approach is used to enable
addition of new IWF types:  CES and transparent LAN bridges.  The
advantage of this approach is that new IWF MIBs do not impact the ATM
MIB.

RFC 2514, the ATM Textual Conventions, would be modified to extend the
AtmConnKind TC to add a new enumeration:

                   genericIWF(6)
                      ATM virtual link of a PVC cross-connected 
                      to a non-ATM virtual link (e.g. Frame Relay
                      Service Interworking Function).  The
                      specific IWF is identified by an associated
                      object containing the OID of the IWF MIB.
                      In the case of the VC link table, the IWF
                      MIB is identified in atmVclIwfOID.

RFC 2515, the ATM MIB, would be modified to add the following new
object to the atmVclTable:

     atmVclIwfOID        OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX         OBJECT IDENTIFIER      
          MAX-ACCESS     read-create
          STATUS         current
          DESCRIPTION
           "The OID of the cross-connect MIB controlling this
            connection (e.g. frAtmIwfMIB in the case of the
            Frame Relay/ATM PVC Service Interworking MIB).
            This object is set to a non-zero value when the
            atmVclConnKind object is set to genericIWF(6)."
          DEFVAL { 0 }
                ::= {atmVclEntry 15}

RFC 1604, the Frame Relay Service MIB, would be modified to add the
following new object to the PVC Endpoint table:

     frPVCEndptIwfOID    OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX         OBJECT IDENTIFIER      
          MAX-ACCESS     read-create
          STATUS         current
          DESCRIPTION
           "The OID of the cross-connect MIB controlling this
            connection (e.g. frAtmIwfMIB in the case of the
            Frame Relay/ATM PVC Service Interworking MIB).
            This object is set to a non-zero value when the
            PVC is interconnected to an IWF.  This object is
            set to zero when the endpoint is connected to
            another FR PVC endpoint."
          DEFVAL { 0 }
                ::= { frPVCEndptEntry 31 }
                
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = 
                
OPTION 2 - Enumerated Types

In this option, an enumerated type is used to flag a particular IWF 
cross connection.  Each new IWF supported requires a new spin of the
ATM Textual Conventions.

RFC 2514, the ATM Textual Conventions, would be modified to extend the
AtmConnKind TC to add a new enumeration:

                   frServiceIWF(6)
                      Virtual link at the PVC side of an 
                      Frame Relay/ATM Service PVC IWF 
                      crossconnect.

RFC 1604, the Frame Relay Service MIB, would be modified to add the
following new object to the PVC Endpoint table:

     frPVCEndptIwf       OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX         INTEGER { none(1), frAtmService(2) }      
          MAX-ACCESS     read-create
          STATUS         current
          DESCRIPTION
           "The Frame Relay PVC endpoint cross-connect type.
           
            none(1)         Frame relay PVC endpoint is cross-
                            connected via the frPVCConnectTable.
                          
            frAtmService(2) Frame relay PVC endpoint is cross-
                            connected via the FR/ATM Service IWF."
          DEFVAL { none }
                ::= { frPVCEndptEntry 31 }
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe frnetmib' in the body of the message.