Subject: (FRNETMIB) Proposed revised frnetmib charter and milestones

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 06:17:21 -0400

At yesterday's frnetmib meeting, I presented proposed updates to the 
charter and milestones, and I'm also sending them out to the email list for 
your information and comments.  Please send any comments back to the 
list.  The final revisions will be sent to the ADs for their approval, and 
then put on the WG's charter web page.

Thanks,
Andy

-------

Description of Working Group:

The Frame Relay Service MIB Working Group is chartered to define a
set of managed objects which will be useful for customer network
management of a provider's Frame Relay Service. The working group
will consider existing definitions, including the Frame Relay Forum's
work in this area. The objects defined by the working group will be
consistent with the SNMP framework.

The working group will coordinate with both the Frame Relay Forum,
the ATM MIB Working Group, and other relevant groups.

The working group is chartered to complete four tasks:

a) consider revisions to the FRS MIB (currently published as a
Proposed Standard in RFC 1604) in light of implementation experience,
changes to the interface MIBs (e.g. IF-MIB, DS1-MIB, DS3-MIB,
FR-DTE-MIB, creation of the DS0 and DS0 Bundle MIB modules), and
evolution of the relevant non-IETF standards,

b) prepare a Recommendation to the Area Director as to the
appropriate disposition of the (updated) FRS MIB, i.e. that it be
advanced to Draft Standard status or that it cycle at Proposed
Status,

c) develop a set of managed objects to provide the instrumentation
required to manage switched-virtual circuits in a frame-relay
environment.

d) develop a set of managed objects to provide the instrumentation
required to manage connections that terminate on a mixture of ATM and
Frame Relay interfaces, i.e. interworked connections. These objects
will be the minimum necessary to provide the ability to monitor and
control interworked connections and shall use existing definitions
(e.g. IF-MIB, FRS-MIB, ATM-MIB, etc.) to instrument the interfaces
and the "native" parts of the connections.

e) develop a set of managed object for the management of Frame Relay
Service Level Definitions.

f) consider other closely related future work items.

In all cases, the working group will keep the Frame Relay and ATM
Forums and the ATM MIB WG informed of its progress and will actively
solicit their input.

All output of the group will be consistent with the existing SNMPv2c
framework and standards, including the SNMPv2c Structure of
Management Information (SMI).

Goals and Milestones:

Done    Post the initial Internet-Draft for discussion.

Done    Submit the Frame Relay Service MIB to the IESG for
         consideration as a Proposed Standard.

Done    Solicit implementation experience for the IWF and SVC cases
         and 'requirements' for IWF and SVC cases.

Done    Post summary of SVC requirements, issues, and a basic
         proposal for the structure of the SVC instrumentation.

Done    Post first draft of RFC1604 update as an Internet-Draft.

Done    Post IWF MIB document and SVC MIB document as
         Internet-Drafts.

Done    Post revised version of RFC1604 update Internet-Draft.

Done    Meet at Montreal IETF to review RFC1604 update document and
         develop recommendation on advancement.

Done    Submit final version of RFC1604 Internet-Draft to Area
         Director, requesting Directorate review.

Done    Post revisions of IWF MIB and SVC MIB as Internet-Drafts.

Done    WG Last Call for SVC MIB.

Done    Submit SVC MIB Internet-Draft to Area Director for referral
         to Directorate.

July 99 Discuss updated version of IWF MIB.

July 99 Discuss initial draft of managed objects for FR SLDs.

Sept 99 WG last call on IWF MIB, submit Internet-Draft to Area
         Director for referral to Directorate.

Sept 99 Post revised version of SLD draft.

Nov 99  Discuss SLD draft

Dec 99  WG last call on SLD MIB, submit Internet-Draft to Area
         Director for referral to Directorate.

________________________________________________________________________
Andrew G. Malis  [email-masked]  phone:978 952-7414  fax:978 392-2074
Lucent Technologies                 1 Robbins Road    Westford, MA 01886
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe frnetmib' in the body of the message.