Subject: (FRNETMIB) frnetmib draft minutes

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 15:12:18 -0500

Here are the draft minutes from Monday's session.  Many thanks to Ken 
Rehbehn for taking the minutes.  Please let me know if you have any 
comments on the minutes before they become official.

Andy

-------

Frame Relay Service MIB (frnetmib) Working Group Minutes
IETF-46, Washington, D.C.

Date: Monday, November 8, 0930 - 1130

Chair: Andrew Malis, Lucent Technologies, [email-masked]

Minutes recorded by Ken Rehbehn, Visual Networks

Mailing List Information:
Discussion: [email-masked]
EMail Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/frnetmib/
(un)subscribe requests to: [email-masked]

Agenda:

1. Administrivia, current documents status

2. Rob Steinberger and Orly Nicklass,
    draft-steinberger-frmrelay-service-01.txt, Definitions of Managed
    Objects for Frame Relay Service Level Definitions

3. Prayson Pate, Bob Lynch, and Ken Rehbehn, draft-pate-mfrmib-00.txt,
    Definitions of Managed Objects for Monitoring and Controlling the
    UNI/NNI Multilink Frame Relay Function

4. Open discussion

Agenda Item 1: Administrivia, current documents status

Andy presented the agenda. There were no request for changes or
additional agenda items.

David Perkins was introduced as the new WG advisor.

Andy presented on overview of the status of work in the frnetmib
group.

The following drafts are in progress:

o  draft-ietf-frnetmib-frs-mib-08.txt - In IETF last call.  Will
complete last call on the 16 Nov.  The next version of RFC1604, this
MIB will also be a proposed standard.

o  draft-ietf-frnetmib-atmiwf-03.txt - The MIB for FRF.8 is in
progress.  Working Group Last Call produced a substantive comment
from Keith McCloghrie.  Keith identified a problem with the proposed
AToMMIB hook used to identify an interworked connection.  The
proposal was to overload the ATM textual convention AtmConnKind with
enumerations indicating the type of cross-connect, not just the type
of connection.  This goes beyond the DESCRIPTION of AtmConnKind.
Keith recommended adding a new object to the FR/ATM IWF MIB that will
augment the atmVclTable with the index of the applicable FR/ATM IWF
MIB cross-connect row.  This change will be made in a new version of
draft-ietf-frnetmib-atmiwf that will be forwarded to the IESG for
review.

Agenda Item 2: Rob Steinberger and Orly Nicklass,
draft-steinberger-frmrelay-service-01.txt, Definitions of Managed
Objects for Frame Relay Service Level Definitions

Rob presented the current version of the FR Service Level Definition
MIB.  The MIB provides a mechanism to control and report results from
a data store based on FRF.13.  This Frame Relay Forum document
provides a number of metric definitions for frame relay service level
reporting.

Issues from Oslo Meeting

o  The relationship between this MIB and the SLAPM MIB was raised as
an issue in Oslo.  Rob advised that the SLAPM MIB applies to L3 or
higher flows.  It does not account for all the definitions in FRF.13
and has no parent group.  As such, no attempt will be made to
reconcile the two approaches to SLA MIB support.  However, the SLAPM
MIB contained better support for data persistence using purge control
variables and this has been adopted in the FRF.13 MIB.

o  Delay values should be measured in microseconds to accommodate
faster speeds. (done)

o  Variety of typos fixed

o  TimeTicks replaced w/TimeStamp

o  Relationships with other MIBs provided.

o  Section added on MIB structure.

A request was made for a capability object bit string to identify
what the agent will support.  Rob will add this object.

Rob asked for guidance on the sample control table index (SmplIdx).
This will be retained to support multiple manager access to the
samples.

Rob pointed out an error in the document on
frsldPvcDataDelayMin/Max/Avg.  The reference is to the free-running
table and this should have relevance only to the free running world.
This will be corrected.

Current open issues:

o  Rename as working group document

o  Detach delay data from the sample table

o  Need IANA experimental ID

o  Need capability object to identify which objects are read/write

RAD reported they had an early working implementation of the MIB.  A
new revision will be forthcoming.

Agenda Item 3: Prayson Pate, Bob Lynch, and Ken Rehbehn,
draft-pate-mfrmib-00.txt, Definitions of Managed Objects for
Monitoring and Controlling the UNI/NNI Multilink Frame Relay Function

Prayson presented a proposed MIB for the UNI/NNI multilink FR
documented in FRF.16.   A tutorial of the FRF.16 functionality was
provided to the Working Group.

The bundleIndex will be changed to Integer32.

The bundle table index will be changed to ifIndex.

An IANA request will be made for the ifType and MIB tree.

A NMS vendor requested that the number of active bundle links be
explicitly reported.  The original design required NMS to scan the
table to avoid creating objects that duplicate information that can
be derived from other MIB objects.  Unfortunately, the industry has
many inconsistent implementations of agent support and some of the
dependent objects may not report link state correctly.  The group
agreed to add objects to report number of links configured and number
of links that are active.

Prayson reported that the MIB was compiled by SMICng.  David Perkins
recommended use of a newer version of the compiler.

This draft was accepted as a working group document with the changes
agreed to in this meeting.  A new revision will be forthcoming.

Agenda Item 4: Open discussion

Several MIBs have been on the list of active working group items with
no progress or apparent interest.  The authors are no longer working
on the documents and, unless new editors volunteer to work with the
MIBs, the work will be terminated.

These drafts are:

o  draft-ietf-frnetmib-spvc-02.txt, Frame Relay Switched PVC MIB,
    Bill Coutts

o  draft-ietf-frnetmib-dte-svc-00.txt, Don Cochrane

o  draft-ietf-frnetmib-dcp-02.txt, Moji Kashef, Jaime Colom

No additional items were brought up, and the group adjourned.

________________________________________________________________________
Andrew G. Malis  [email-masked]  phone:978 952-7414  fax:978 392-2074
Lucent Technologies                 1 Robbins Road    Westford, MA 01886

X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe frnetmib' in the body of the message.