Subject: (FRNETMIB) RFC2954 and Frame Relay Interface Creation

From: "Hedstrom, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:14:22 -0700

FRS MIB Working Group:

After reviewing RFC2954, I have not seen where this MIB provides the ability
to create a frame relay interface with ifType=44.  THe 'frLportTable' seems
to "extend" the ifTable for this interface, but does not provide a RowStatus
object for creation of interfaces (and of course the ifTable does not
provide this capability either).

When you authored this MIB, was it intended that this MIB would provide the
ability to 'create' the Frame Relay interface?  Or is this done in another
RFC (rfc2115 allows it, but for DTE devices)? Or was creation of the
interface not even considered?

Thanks,
Brian Hedstrom

*************************************************************
This email may contain confidential and privileged
material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any
unauthorized review, use or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient
please contact the sender and delete all copies.
************************************************************* 

X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe frnetmib' in the body of the message.

---

From: Ken Rehbehn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:27:35 -0500

Brian -

I authored the latest update of the FRS MIB but I did not participate in the
original design and I cannot say exactly what the thoughts of the designers
were at the time. 

However, I do not believe the original intent was to have interfaces created
via SNMP.  Instead, the service provider would use EMS functions to create
the basic "service" for a customer.  The FRS MIB is used to allow a customer
to then view the service and make tweaks to its operation.

Regards,
Ken

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Hedstrom, Brian [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001 12:14 PM
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: (FRNETMIB) RFC2954 and Frame Relay Interface Creation
> 
> 
> FRS MIB Working Group:
>