Subject: Ftp-WG: mlst -05 draft

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 13:24:13 -0500

I have just sent the -05 version of the mlst draft to the I-D directories.
It should start showing up on the I-D ftp sites in a day or so, and
I'd expect, will be announced at the beginning of next week.

Since it has been (just over) 9 months since the -04 version appeared,
you'd assume that there have been quite a few changes, and in fact,
there have.   I won't attempt to summarise exactly what has changed,
there's no way I'd remember, and a diff is huge.

Instead, I'll append my RCS log from the source of the draft.   Some of
this might make little sense, and do be aware that some stuff appeared,
and then vanished again, without anyone else ever seeing it (some "editor's
notes" are in that category for example).

Most notable in this draft is that there are no questions left open.
Everything has been answered.   That seemed to be the best way to
attempt to achieve some kind of resolution - while there were just
questions, everyone could just ignore them.   Now that there are
answers, if you don't like the answers, you have some strong motivation
to object, and we can discuss the issues, instead of ignoring them.
If it happens that I picked acceptable answers, fine (though I kind of
doubt that).   That means that this draft could be almost finished.
It still lacks examples of MLST and MLSD though - my implementation of
those isn't quite yet in a state to extract examples of them into
the draft.   Next version I hope.

Also, MLST is back using the control connection for its output, and
MLSD a data connection - the STAT enhancement has gone.  However, for
MLST this time I didn't add back the line folding technique that
existed in the earlier version of output over the control connection.
If anyone feels that is needed, it can re-surface.

The HOST command is in this draft, of course.

Comments welcome after the draft has appeared, and been read.

kre

revision 1.23
date: 1998/12/16 17:58:03;  author: kre;  state: ID05;  lines: +41 -5
Added a bit to security considerations (suggested by Alun Jones).
Added text to HOST indicating that it allows a welcome message to
be issued that is for the specific host, and in the language
negotiated for responses by an OPTS command.   Changed the
requirement that all responses be in ASCII in anticipation of
the ftpext-intl draft defining a means of language selection
(and allowing UTF-8 for responses).
This version submitted as draft -05 Dec 17, 1998.
----------------------------
revision 1.22
date: 1998/12/14 04:52:09;  author: kre;  state: Exp;  lines: +67 -69
Rearranged and updated references (now the references are all encountered
in order (1, 2, 3, ...) the first time they are mentioned).
----------------------------
revision 1.21
date: 1998/12/11 05:31:02;  author: kre;  state: Exp;  lines: +17 -39
Deleted the old section with the list of issues to be resolved.
Changed Security Non-considerations to Security Considerations, and
added some noise which might keep the IESG off the WG's back.
----------------------------
revision 1.20
date: 1998/12/11 05:12:51;  author: kre;  state: Exp;  lines: +166 -131
Change title to new simpler format (attempting to list the whole
draft in the title was making it be just a bit too long...)
Get rid of the last few remaining Ed-Notes (and ZZZ markers)
Spelling and grammar cleanups.
Better description of restricted use of / as TVFS pathname of root.
Use MLSx to represent either of MLST or MLSD - less chance of mis-interp
Rid ourselves of the last vestiges of arbitrary filename concatenation
Clarify better what a type=cdir indicates
Allow multiple entries in MLST/MLSD for the same file if it has multiple types
Make it explicit that no facts are absolutely required, but make the
important ones be strongly recommended.
Make it clear that the FEAT command supplies '*' next to currently
selected facts, the default facts initially, then as changed by OPTS MLST
----------------------------
revision 1.19
date: 1998/12/10 23:13:15;  author: kre;  state: Exp;  lines: +175 -152
Revert draft number to 5 (had somehow crawled up to 6, though
no -05 draft has yet been submitted...)
Misc minor text cleanups.
Warn against use of SIZE command frivolously.
Be more specific about sequence of commands involving REST
Allow ':' as a hostname character.
Add Ed-Note Q as to whether we need specify what is a hostname.
Specify how to handle HOST command when client was given an IP address.
Make it clear that the DNS does not restrict name syntax, but that
we choose to restrict the syntax of an FTP hostname.
In a few places, improve troff format by using CW font for ascii art.
Make it clear that servers must not require a HOST command.
Delete all references to recursive listings.
Switch MLST output to the control connection (again...)
Delete all references to magic STAT command output
Warn against clients requesting MLS? facts for cosmetic reasons.
Minor clarification to IANA considerations.
Update open questions list (including removing wildcard noise)
----------------------------
revision 1.18
date: 1998/10/06 04:48:05;  author: kre;  state: Exp;  lines: +98 -6
Added ack of Bernhard Rosenkraenzer for HOST, fixed accidentally
omitted '-' in legal chars of a host name, clarified legal args for
MDTM, and added examples for MTDP, SIZE, and REST.
----------------------------
revision 1.17
date: 1998/08/16 12:34:45;  author: kre;  state: Exp;  lines: +74 -2
Mention the REIN command in the context of HOST,
require conforming clients to issue HOST
Add startup state diagram
----------------------------
revision 1.16
date: 1998/08/15 13:33:35;  author: kre;  state: Exp;  lines: +252 -65
First attempt at HOST command definition.
Part way to deleting the redefined STAT command (remnants remain)
Some "open questions" no longer open, and deleted.
This version certainly not ready to be sent as an I-D, though the
HOST section (section 6 here) was sent to the list for comments
----------------------------
revision 1.15
date: 1998/03/12 21:10:12;  author: kre;  state: Exp;  lines: +9 -5
Added ISO 10646 reference (borrowed from i18n ftpext doc...)