Subject: Ftp-WG: 550 to LIST and NLST. RFC959 consistency?

From: Walter Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 17:10:52 -0400

550 is not specified as a response to LIST and NLST commands in RFC 959.

I can see an argument for LIST returning an empty file for an empty set
of files and for NLST to return an error code but 550 is not permitted. 

The behavior of several commercial servers is inconsistent. I have seen
226 to both, 226 to LIST and 550 to NLST and 550 to both.

I view 550 as a reasonable response which is incompatible with RFC 959.

Is there a more modern document with which those suppliers can claim
compliance and which allows for a 550?
-- 
Walter Briscoe

---

From: Slippery Jim DiGriz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:09:18 -0400

Heh...This list obviously doesn't check for autoresponders and is in a
loop....too bad it doesn't seem to be that closely watched. Anyway, in my
case, mail on a shell account with procmail running works wonders. I don't
even notice when the sh|t hits /dev/null. Mail filters for all of you
windoze folks should work comparably though. 

-steely

o------------------------------------------------------------------o
|"...one must live outside of society's|    Slippery Jim DiGriz    |
| bonds or die of absolute boredom."   |  The Stainless Steel Rat  |
|        The Stainless Steel Rat       |   [email-masked]   |
|               -Harry Harrison        |                           |
|--------------------------------------|           a.k.a           |
| "Only the infinity of the depths of a|                           |
| man's mind can really tell a story." |         Kevin Rice        |
|               -Unknown source        |       [email-masked]      |
o------------------------------------------------------------------o