Subject: Ftp-WG: Why redundant checksum

From: "Mohammad Awad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 04:11:16 -0500

Hi all
Is the checksum into the IP header is nessesarily calculated or modules can 
ommit it and save the overhead of recomputing it at meny nodes along the 
route, especially when the IP is being serving a reliable transport protocol 
such as TCP which contains a another checksum for important fields inside 
the IP header itself?

_________________________________________________________________
STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 04:28:04 -0500

In your previous mail you wrote:

=> the IPv4 header checksum is mandatory. If you believe it is not more
useful on modern networks, just use IPv6 which has no header checksum...

Regards

[email-masked]