Subject: [ftpext] Submitting new drafts

From: Robert McMurray <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 02:11:11 +0000

I'd like to submit a new draft (see attached) that is unrelated to my other draft - should we be using FTPEXT2 as the WG? Or should continue to submit as individual drafts to the Applications Area?

Robert McMurray
Office Content Publishing (UA)
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: "William F. Maton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 10:18:03 -0400 (EDT)

Punt it into ftpext2 please, otherwise there's not much point to having 
one.

> Email: [email-masked]

wfms

---

From: Anthony Bryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 02:19:41 -0400

I think the problem is that there isn't a FTPEXT WG yet & it doesn't
seem definite that there will be one.

I've been posting a draft charter (included here) but...not sure what
the next step is.

I added draft-liu-ftp64-extension, which I just saw turn up.

somewhat on topic, does anyone know how to change the WG in xml2rfc?

FTP Extensions, 2nd edition (ftpext2) Charter

Chair(s):
     TBD

IETF Area:
     Applications Area

Applications Area Directors:
     Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
     Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>

Responsible Area Director:
     Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
     General Discussion: [email-masked]
     Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ftpext/current/maillist.html

Description of Working Group:

The Standard File Transfer Protocol specification in RFC 959
has been updated several times with command extensions of one
sort or another, including those based on the extension
mechanism of RFC 2389 (a complete list appears in RFC 5797 and
the corresponding IANA registry at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ftp-commands-extensions/ftp-commands-extensions.xhtml
).

The following are active FTP related drafts:

    draft-bryan-ftp-hash
    draft-hethmon-mcmurray-ftp-hosts
    draft-liu-ftp64-extension
    draft-peterson-streamlined-ftp-command-extensions
    draft-preston-ftpext-deflate

The Working Group will:
* Review and finalize drafts listed above.
* Continue work on other drafts that are already in progress.
* Review and confirm or reject errata of current FTP RFCs.
* Investigate the differences between FTP in theory
  (current RFCs) and practice, and recommend future work to align them.

The Working Group's specification deliverables are:
* A document that specifies the HOST command (Proposed Standard).
* A document that specifies the HASH command (Proposed Standard).
* A document that specifies FTP extensions to support IPv4/IPv6
translation scenario.

The Working Group must not introduce a new version of FTP, e.g.
an incompatible FTP 2.0.

Goals and Milestones
Oct 2010    Submit 'File Transfer Protocol HOST Command for Virtual
Hosts' as working group item (draft-hethmon-mcmurray-ftp-hosts will be
used as a starting point)
Oct 2010    Submit 'File Transfer Protocol HASH Command for
Cryptographic Hashes' as working group item (draft-bryan-ftp-hash will
be used as a starting point)
TBD 2010    Working group Last Call of HOST document
TBD 2010    Submit 'File Transfer Protocol HOST Command for Virtual
Hosts' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
TBD 2011    Working group Last Call of HASH document
TBD 2011    Submit 'File Transfer Protocol HASH Command for
Cryptographic Hashes' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed
Standard
TBD 2011    Close or recharter

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 10:18 AM, William F. Maton <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Punt it into ftpext2 please, otherwise there's not much point to having one.
>
>> I'd like to submit a new draft (see attached) that is unrelated to my
>> other draft - should we be using FTPEXT2 as the WG? Or should continue to
>> submit as individual drafts to the Applications Area?

-- 
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
  )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads

---

From: Robert McMurray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:06:45 +0000

Thanks, Anthony.

The lack of an FTPEXT WG is the problem that I was referring to - I'd like to add the proposed draft that I sent out last week to the proposed FTPEXT WG's charter, but since it isn't a formal WG yet then I wasn't sure how best to proceed. (e.g. Should I submit the draft to the applications area for now just to start the peer review process while awaiting the next phase of the FTPEXT WG process? )

Thanks again.

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Bryan [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2010 11:20 PM
To: William F. Maton
Cc: Robert McMurray; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [ftpext] Submitting new drafts

I think the problem is that there isn't a FTPEXT WG yet & it doesn't seem definite that there will be one.

I've been posting a draft charter (included here) but...not sure what the next step is.

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 10:18 AM, William F. Maton <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> other draft - should we be using FTPEXT2 as the WG? Or should 
>> continue to submit as individual drafts to the Applications Area?

---

From: Anthony Bryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 16:20:11 -0400

I would say submit it now (you only have a few hours left) under Apps,
or you won't have it for discussion at the IETF meeting or be able to
submit it until November 8.

I'll add it to the draft charter once I see it's submitted.

btw, (this is to everyone) any comments on how to improve the draft charter?

"The pre-meeting cutoff date for new documents (i.e., version -00
Internet-Drafts) is 2010-10-18 at 5 PM (PT). You will not be able to
submit a new document after this time until 2010-11-08, at midnight"

also, I think there is some overlap between AGNT from your draft &
CSID from http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-peterson-streamlined-ftp-command-extensions

---

From: Robert McMurray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:57:28 +0000

Anthony - great catch!

Mark - I sincerely apologize, I had not seen the CSID addition to draft-peterson-streamlined-ftp-command-extensions; I had only seen earlier drafts before that was added. You are welcome to scavenge anything that you might find useful from the AGNT draft that I sent out last week to [email-masked]. ;-]

---

From: liu dapeng <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 16:26:48 +0800

> I added draft-liu-ftp64-extension, which I just saw turn up.

Thanks, Anthony, this is the split draft from draft-behave-ftp64 based
on our discussion in Maastricht.

Best Regards,
Dapeng Liu

>      Archive:
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ftpext/current/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> ftpext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ftpext
>

---

From: liu dapeng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 16:26:38 +0800

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for posting the draft charter, just have one comment:

The  WG's specification deliverables include "A document that
specifies FTP extensions to support IPv4/IPv6 translation scenario"
but there is no corresponding Goals and Milestones?

Best regards,
Dapeng Liu

---

From: Anthony Bryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 13:45:19 -0400

> but there is no corresponding Goals and Milestones?

I didn't add anything because I'm waiting for people to review and
comment on the draft charter :)
especially people like you, authors of drafts.

how does this sound? do you want to suggest a date?

TBD 2010    Submit 'FTP extensions to support IPv4/IPv6 translation'
as working group item (draft-liu-ftp64-extension will be used as a
starting point)
TBD 2011    Submit 'FTP extensions to support IPv4/IPv6 translation'
to the IESG for consideration as Informational

here's the revised section, also w/ FTP URI:

Goals and Milestones
Nov 2010    Submit 'File Transfer Protocol HOST Command for Virtual
Hosts' as working group item (draft-hethmon-mcmurray-ftp-hosts will be
used as a starting point)
Nov 2010    Submit 'File Transfer Protocol HASH Command for
Cryptographic Hashes' as working group item (draft-bryan-ftp-hash will
be used as a starting point)
TBD 2010    Submit 'FTP extensions to support IPv4/IPv6 translation'
as working group item (draft-liu-ftp64-extension will be used as a
starting point)
TBD 2010    Submit 'FTP URI Scheme' as working group item
(draft-hoenes-ftp-uri? will be used as a starting point)
TBD 2010    Working group Last Call of HOST document
TBD 2010    Submit 'File Transfer Protocol HOST Command for Virtual
Hosts' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
TBD 2011    Working group Last Call of HASH document
TBD 2011    Submit 'File Transfer Protocol HASH Command for
Cryptographic Hashes' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed
Standard
TBD 2011    Submit 'FTP extensions to support IPv4/IPv6 translation'
to the IESG for consideration as Informational
TBD 2011    Submit 'FTP URI Scheme' to the IESG for consideration as a
Proposed Standard
TBD 2011    Close or recharter
-- 
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
  )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads