Subject: Re: [gaia] Welcome to GAIA

From: Jon Rimmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 14:48:12 +0000

Hi guys

I'm Jon and I'm currently Head of User Research for Digital Inclusion
- at GDS (Government Digital Services) within the UK Government
(although strictly it should read non-user research).  My background
has been a strong mix of academic and industrial research around
people interacting with each other, technology and environments (so
psychology, human-computer interaction etc). Some of which has had
focus on socially excluded individuals/groups, but lots of other
things too over the past 20 years.

My focus at the moment is on the delivery of the UK's Digital
Inclusion Strategy paying particular attention to individuals, small &
medium sized business as well as 3rd sector organisations. In the UK
we have 21% of the adult population that lack basic digital literacy
skills and 14% that are completely off line. I'm trying to make sure
folk here don't lose sight of that when carrying out various projects.
(I'm also looking at other countries too, not just the UK).

So, I'm always keen to learn and experiment, and glad to promote
projects and disseminate knowledge - really looking forward to
participating in this forum.

Nice to meet you!

Jon

Dr Jon Rimmer
(non) User Research

---

From: "Prof. Adam Wolisz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 23:23:41 +0100

Greetings,

I´m Adam Wolisz, Professor at Technische Universität Berlin,
Germany

(leading

the Telecommunication Networks Group)

and adjunct professor UC Berkeley where I cooperate in the
BWRC.

My research addresses computer networks architectures and

protocols - with focus on wireless access technologies

(including wireless sensor and actuation networks).

I have been alerted by the vision of growing expenses

needed in order to assure broad participation in the

"information society"

I am interested in technologies leading to reduction of
traffic

needed for individual services as well as reduction of
(network)

resources needed for the traffic provisioning (and thus
cost!).

In addition I am also interested in (unavoidable!) new
economic models

and technical solution supporting the feasibility of such
models.

Looking forward to many interesting interactions!

best

adam

On 17.12.2013 16:46, Arjuna
Sathiaseelan wrote:

Thanks Lars.

Just to introduce myself as well..

I am a Senior Researcher at the Computer Laboratory where I lead the
Lowest Cost Denominator Networking initiative
(http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/lcd/) with Jon Crowcroft. As Lars
pointed out, this is a fundamental social problem and the only way I
could contribute is through the knowledge I have gained over the years
- thats in networking.

Our work at Cambridge (through several collaborations) currently focusses on

(1) Efficiently utilise unused capacity in networks facilitating the
creation of new economic models through multi-stakeholder (who have
socio-environmental objectives rather than purely economic) subsidised
access

(2) Exploring the role of technologies like ICN/DTN and how we could
bring them together under one single abstraction and what are the
benefits such an abstraction could bring - what we are trying to do is
to bridge the gap between those who
have and dont have - which in turn means we probably have an
"opportunity" to explore new promising existing concepts/tech which
potentially could improve access but also reduce the cost of access.
The last 5-10 years of active research in these areas have shown some
promising results (DTN's timeshifting of content + additional
reliability in energy constrained unreliable links; ICN's ability to
do edge caching + localised access + reduce wastage etc)..

(3) Exploring new architectures that facilitate better sharing of
access infrastructures (www.publicaccesswifi.org) thereby reducing
CAPEX as well as architectures that allow multi-stakeholder
involvement thereby reducing OPEX. We are exploring the role of SDN +
Scavenger access here.

My involvement will be to bootstrap this group and I am hoping the
more experienced folks run the show :)..

Hoping to hear from others too..

Regards
Arjuna

On 17 December 2013 14:54, Eggert, Lars <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi,

On 2013-12-17, at 11:11, Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]> wrote:

Lars - would you like to add any thoughts as well as possible next steps?

nothing substantial. I think it would be nice if folks on the list briefly introduced themselves, and said why they are interested in this topic.

Hi, I'm Lars Eggert and I chair the IRTF. In my day job, I work for NetApp. The topic of bringing the Internet to regions of the world where it doesn't currently function well or even exists at all is interesting to me - I actually think it's the #1 thing we as networking people can do in order to make life on the planet better - but I'm actually not working myself on anything related. I know Arjuna from when he did transport-layer stuf in the IETF, and when I met him again at Cambridge and started chatting, I offered the IRTF as a venue for the group he was trying to form. So, I'll mostly be lurking and maybe offer the occasional IETF/IRTF-related process advice, but it's YOUR show to run, folks.

Lars