Subject: [gaia] Welcome to GAIA

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:11:43 +0000

Dear All,
  Thanks for agreeing to be part of this initiative. Thanks to Lars
Eggert for initiating this and to Jon Crowcroft for naming the group
which seems to have relevance to Gaia hypothesis.

The idea is to clearly understand and scope out what are the
challenges in universal service provisioning and where and how we
could shape the future Internet architectures to support wider access.
To do that we need a real mix of expertise to shape this agenda - so
we need input from diverse disciplines (not only tech, but also
economics/social/policy/regulatory/hci etc).

We currently have a diverse set of experts with backgrounds and
experience here in the mailing list: ranging from pioneers who have
deep rooted experience doing in-the-wild deployments in emerging
regions as well as in developed countries, wireless, satellite,
white-space, network architectures, measurements, CDNs, SDN, ICN, DTN,
pricing/incentives, standardization. We are currently aiming to get
more people across the other disciplines as well as well as several
other organisations whom we have contacted (A4AI, CTO, ResearchICT
Africa etc). We need more participation from organisations from
emerging regions and it will be great if you could pass this info if
you have any contacts.

This is a great and unique opportunity for all of us to come together
under one umbrella to push standards efforts that could potentially
change the Internet landscape to be more inclusive. There have been
several past and present work in this space, some of which have
succeeded into self sustainable deployments and some that have failed
- and it will be great to get input on the challenges and experiences.
Encouragingly, the Internet technological landscape has also changed
with diverse set of technologies and clean slate Internet
architectures that if carefully thought and integrated together could
solve some of the challenges that were impossible to overcome
previously.

Lars - would you like to add any thoughts as well as possible next steps?

Regards
Arjuna

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/

---

From: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 14:54:42 +0000

Hi,

> Lars - would you like to add any thoughts as well as possible next steps?

nothing substantial. I think it would be nice if folks on the list briefly introduced themselves, and said why they are interested in this topic.

Hi, I'm Lars Eggert and I chair the IRTF. In my day job, I work for NetApp. The topic of bringing the Internet to regions of the world where it doesn't currently function well or even exists at all is interesting to me - I actually think it's the #1 thing we as networking people can do in order to make life on the planet better - but I'm actually not working myself on anything related. I know Arjuna from when he did transport-layer stuf in the IETF, and when I met him again at Cambridge and started chatting, I offered the IRTF as a venue for the group he was trying to form. So, I'll mostly be lurking and maybe offer the occasional IETF/IRTF-related process advice, but it's YOUR show to run, folks.

Lars

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 15:46:35 +0000

Thanks Lars.

Just to introduce myself as well..

I am a Senior Researcher at the Computer Laboratory where I lead the
Lowest Cost Denominator Networking initiative
(http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/lcd/) with Jon Crowcroft. As Lars
pointed out, this is a fundamental social problem and the only way I
could contribute is through the knowledge I have gained over the years
- thats in networking.

Our work at Cambridge (through several collaborations) currently focusses on

(1)  Efficiently utilise unused capacity in networks facilitating the
creation of new economic models through multi-stakeholder (who have
socio-environmental objectives rather than purely economic) subsidised
access

(2) Exploring the role of technologies like ICN/DTN and how we could
bring them together under one single abstraction and what are the
benefits such an abstraction could bring - what we are trying to do is
to bridge the gap between those who
have and dont have - which in turn means we probably have an
"opportunity" to explore new promising existing concepts/tech which
potentially could improve access but also reduce the cost of access.
The last 5-10 years of active research in these areas have shown some
promising results (DTN's timeshifting of content + additional
reliability in energy constrained unreliable links; ICN's ability to
do edge caching + localised access + reduce wastage etc)..

(3) Exploring new architectures that facilitate better sharing of
access infrastructures (www.publicaccesswifi.org) thereby reducing
CAPEX as well as architectures that allow multi-stakeholder
involvement thereby reducing OPEX. We are exploring the role of SDN +
Scavenger access here.

My involvement will be to bootstrap this group and I am hoping the
more experienced folks run the show :)..

Hoping to hear from others too..

Regards
Arjuna

---

From: "Trossen, Dirk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:55:58 -0500

Dear all,

Continuing the round here:
My name's Dirk Trossen and I'm a Principal Scientist at InterDigital UK,
the newly established European presence of InterDigital Inc. I've come
to discuss with Arjuna about architectural problems (and possible
solutions) for universal access during my time at Cambridge University
(which ended in April 2013).

In my new role, I have a continued interest in architectural issues that
create obstacles to widespread Internet access availability, utilizing
advances in areas such as edge caching, ICN, and new backhaul
technologies to overcome such obstacles in order to push the Internet to
those who don't have proper access (and simply can't afford due to
unsustainable economic foundations of how the Internet would be provided
to them). 

I'm very excited about the IETF/IRTF having established a forum to
discuss these issues. I hope that our initial circle will find extension
from those who can provide us with insights into the needs of those who
seek Internet access and the obstacles that hinder it. It seems obvious
to me that we have a lot to share and a lot to learn.

Best,

Dirk 

-----Original Message-----
From: gaia [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Arjuna
Sathiaseelan
Sent: 17 December 2013 15:47
To: Eggert, Lars
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [gaia] Welcome to GAIA

Thanks Lars.

Our work at Cambridge (through several collaborations) currently
focusses on

(2) Exploring the role of technologies like ICN/DTN and how we could
bring them together under one single abstraction and what are the
benefits such an abstraction could bring - what we are trying to do is
to bridge the gap between those who have and dont have - which in turn
means we probably have an "opportunity" to explore new promising
existing concepts/tech which potentially could improve access but also
reduce the cost of access.
The last 5-10 years of active research in these areas have shown some
promising results (DTN's timeshifting of content + additional
reliability in energy constrained unreliable links; ICN's ability to do
edge caching + localised access + reduce wastage etc)..

(3) Exploring new architectures that facilitate better sharing of access
infrastructures (www.publicaccesswifi.org) thereby reducing CAPEX as
well as architectures that allow multi-stakeholder involvement thereby
reducing OPEX. We are exploring the role of SDN + Scavenger access here.

My involvement will be to bootstrap this group and I am hoping the more
experienced folks run the show :)..

Regards
Arjuna

On 17 December 2013 14:54, Eggert, Lars <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2013-12-17, at 11:11, Arjuna Sathiaseelan
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> nothing substantial. I think it would be nice if folks on the list
briefly introduced themselves, and said why they are interested in this
topic.
>
> Hi, I'm Lars Eggert and I chair the IRTF. In my day job, I work for
NetApp. The topic of bringing the Internet to regions of the world where
it doesn't currently function well or even exists at all is interesting
to me - I actually think it's the #1 thing we as networking people can
do in order to make life on the planet better - but I'm actually not
working myself on anything related. I know Arjuna from when he did
transport-layer stuf in the IETF, and when I met him again at Cambridge
and started chatting, I offered the IRTF as a venue for the group he was
trying to form. So, I'll mostly be lurking and maybe offer the
occasional IETF/IRTF-related process advice, but it's YOUR show to run,
folks.

--
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/
_______________________________________________
gaia mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia

---

From: "Burleigh, Scott C (312G)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 16:13:36 +0000

Hmmm.  This email is going to get rather long if we all keep adding to it, but I'll attach one more.  I'm Scott Burleigh, a principal engineer at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, which is operated by the California Institute of Technology.  I've been working on "delay-tolerant networking" technologies since 1998.  While the original motivation for the DTN research was to address issues in space flight mission operations, it has become clear that the capabilities of DTN can be applied to problems in terrestrial communications as well, particularly communications serving populations for whom Internet access may be elusive due to geographic, economic, or even political obstacles.  I'm interested in solving those problems.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: gaia [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Trossen, Dirk
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 7:56 AM
To: Arjuna Sathiaseelan; Eggert, Lars
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [gaia] Welcome to GAIA

Dear all,

Continuing the round here:
My name's Dirk Trossen and I'm a Principal Scientist at InterDigital UK, the newly established European presence of InterDigital Inc. I've come to discuss with Arjuna about architectural problems (and possible
solutions) for universal access during my time at Cambridge University (which ended in April 2013).

In my new role, I have a continued interest in architectural issues that create obstacles to widespread Internet access availability, utilizing advances in areas such as edge caching, ICN, and new backhaul technologies to overcome such obstacles in order to push the Internet to those who don't have proper access (and simply can't afford due to unsustainable economic foundations of how the Internet would be provided to them). 

I'm very excited about the IETF/IRTF having established a forum to discuss these issues. I hope that our initial circle will find extension from those who can provide us with insights into the needs of those who seek Internet access and the obstacles that hinder it. It seems obvious to me that we have a lot to share and a lot to learn.

Best,

Dirk 

-----Original Message-----
From: gaia [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Arjuna Sathiaseelan
Sent: 17 December 2013 15:47
To: Eggert, Lars
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [gaia] Welcome to GAIA

Thanks Lars.

I am a Senior Researcher at the Computer Laboratory where I lead the Lowest Cost Denominator Networking initiative
(http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/lcd/) with Jon Crowcroft. As Lars pointed out, this is a fundamental social problem and the only way I could contribute is through the knowledge I have gained over the years
- thats in networking.

(1)  Efficiently utilise unused capacity in networks facilitating the creation of new economic models through multi-stakeholder (who have socio-environmental objectives rather than purely economic) subsidised access

(2) Exploring the role of technologies like ICN/DTN and how we could bring them together under one single abstraction and what are the benefits such an abstraction could bring - what we are trying to do is to bridge the gap between those who have and dont have - which in turn means we probably have an "opportunity" to explore new promising existing concepts/tech which potentially could improve access but also reduce the cost of access.
The last 5-10 years of active research in these areas have shown some promising results (DTN's timeshifting of content + additional reliability in energy constrained unreliable links; ICN's ability to do edge caching + localised access + reduce wastage etc)..

(3) Exploring new architectures that facilitate better sharing of access infrastructures (www.publicaccesswifi.org) thereby reducing CAPEX as well as architectures that allow multi-stakeholder involvement thereby reducing OPEX. We are exploring the role of SDN + Scavenger access here.

My involvement will be to bootstrap this group and I am hoping the more experienced folks run the show :)..

Regards
Arjuna

> nothing substantial. I think it would be nice if folks on the list
briefly introduced themselves, and said why they are interested in this topic.
> Hi, I'm Lars Eggert and I chair the IRTF. In my day job, I work for
NetApp. The topic of bringing the Internet to regions of the world where it doesn't currently function well or even exists at all is interesting to me - I actually think it's the #1 thing we as networking people can do in order to make life on the planet better - but I'm actually not working myself on anything related. I know Arjuna from when he did transport-layer stuf in the IETF, and when I met him again at Cambridge and started chatting, I offered the IRTF as a venue for the group he was trying to form. So, I'll mostly be lurking and maybe offer the occasional IETF/IRTF-related process advice, but it's YOUR show to run, folks.

--
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/ _______________________________________________
gaia mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
_______________________________________________
gaia mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia

---

From: Panagiotis Papadimitriou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 18:17:43 +0100

Hi all,

     A quick introduction from me, as well. I am an Assistant Professor 
at the University of Hannover and mainly working with my group in 
wide-area virtual network provisioning, SDN, and network processing.

With respect to gaia, in collaboration with Arjuna, Jon, and other 
colleagues, I have been working on Virtual Public Networks, i.e., 
virtual networks dynamically provisioned to exploit the unused capacity 
in home broadband networks. I am particularly interested in outsourcing 
the management and configuration of such networks to third parties using 
SDN.

I'm very glad to see a forum where we can share our views on global 
Internet access.

- Panagiotis

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Prof. Panagiotis Papadimitriou

Leibniz Universität Hannover
Institute of Communications Technology
Appelstr. 9A
30167 Hannover
Tel: +49 (0) 511 762 2856
Email: [email-masked]
WWW: http://www.ikt.uni-hannover.de

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Sastry, Nishanth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 18:46:50 +0000

Hi all,

My name is Nishanth Sastry. I am a Lecturer (~asst. prof.) at King's College London, where I have been working on content consumption and content delivery in various contexts, ranging from social media and user-generated content to over-the-top TV streaming. I am interested both in large-scale measurements as well as architectural improvements/innovations. I am also interested in design for development outside of networking as well (e.g. https://sites.google.com/site/cellcentives/ was an old effort).

Within this forum, I'd be interested in:

a) (from a measurements perspective) understanding and characterising current use cases and needs, esp. for content delivery, in wider cultural contexts than we have been traditionally looking at.
b) helping address architecture challenges, e.g., cost constraints. I particularly enjoy simple solutions that repurpose existing technology to save costs (e.g., prev. efforts include citywide wifi at near zero cost by securely reusing private wifi APs, and repurposing TV broadcast to decrease network footprint of TV streaming).

I am in this forum because:
- I like the idea of free/low-cost connectivity for all, and because I believe getting this right could perhaps be the most significant contribution that we can make as network architects.
- In contrast to the 'real' Internet, this could be a neat research playground for actually testing/deploying some recent novel architectural ideas (including DTN/ICN, which I have dabbled in a bit), and if we're lucky, having those ideas be used by real people, at scale.
- Also, I kinda like the sense of belonging - being part of mother gaia, as it were ;)

cheers
Nishanth
--
Nishanth Sastry
Lecturer
King's College London
Strand | London WC2R 2LS  |  United Kingdom
tel: +44 20 7848 2445 | email: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
http://www.inf.kcl.ac.uk/staff/nrs

On 17 Dec 2013, at 15:55, Trossen, Dirk <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Dear all,

Best,

Dirk

-----Original Message-----
From: gaia [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Arjuna
Sathiaseelan
Sent: 17 December 2013 15:47
To: Eggert, Lars
Cc: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [gaia] Welcome to GAIA

Thanks Lars.

(3) Exploring new architectures that facilitate better sharing of access
infrastructures (www.publicaccesswifi.org<http://www.publicaccesswifi.org>) thereby reducing CAPEX as
well as architectures that allow multi-stakeholder involvement thereby
reducing OPEX. We are exploring the role of SDN + Scavenger access here.

Regards
Arjuna

On 17 December 2013 14:54, Eggert, Lars <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Hi,

On 2013-12-17, at 11:11, Arjuna Sathiaseelan
<[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Lars - would you like to add any thoughts as well as possible next
steps?

Lars

--
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/
_______________________________________________
gaia mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
_______________________________________________
gaia mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia

---

From: Yahel Ben-David <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 11:39:22 -0800

*Hiya’ll, In the interest of brevity - my bio blurb can be found here:
http://denovogroup.org/main/about/our-team/
<http://denovogroup.org/main/about/our-team/> Getting the next-billion
online, has been the focus of my work over the past 15 years, while
attempting to keep the net uncensored and free is another emphasis. So-far,
I’m failing miserably (at least if measured on a societal scale) - but the
more I fail the more encouraged and driven I get ;-) Our current flagship
project, as featured in this recent SF-Chronicle article, explores ways in
which SDN may further drive down the costs of fixed, terrestrial wireless,
broadband access to rural communities:
http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/2013/10/22/google-grants-2m-to-researchers-bringing-broadband-to-rural-california/
<http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/2013/10/22/google-grants-2m-to-researchers-bringing-broadband-to-rural-california/>
Another ongoing work from the liberation-technologies domain:
http://denovogroup.org/main/rangzen-project/
<http://denovogroup.org/main/rangzen-project/> It appears there’s lots of
overlap with research interests of this group’s members - great! We’re a
highly inclusive bunch - always seeking collaboration. Thanks for
initiating this! Yahel. Berkeley.*

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Panagiotis Papadimitriou <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
>     A quick introduction from me, as well. I am an Assistant Professor at
> the University of Hannover and mainly working with my group in wide-area
> virtual network provisioning, SDN, and network processing.
>
> colleagues, I have been working on Virtual Public Networks, i.e., virtual
> networks dynamically provisioned to exploit the unused capacity in home
> broadband networks. I am particularly interested in outsourcing the
> management and configuration of such networks to third parties using SDN.
>
> From: gaia [mailto:[email-masked] <[email-masked]>] On Behalf Of Trossen, Dirk
> From: gaia [mailto:[email-masked] <[email-masked]>] On Behalf Of Arjuna Sathiaseelan
> On 17 December 2013 14:54, Eggert, Lars <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>
>  <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> gaia mailing [email-masked]://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
> gaia mailing [email-masked]://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
> gaia mailing [email-masked]://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>
>
> --

---

From: "Eric A. BREWER" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 12:30:41 -0800

Nice to meet those of you I don't already know...

I wear two hats in this context:  I lead the Tier group at Berkeley, which
is among oldest groups working in this space (at least among universities),
and I am an advisor to Google's efforts in the access area (and a Google
VP).

Tier worked on DTN for developing regions via Kevin Fall, as well as
long-distance WiFi, power systems for remote networking, and our latest
work, which is on low-cost GSM solutions for rural areas based on software
radios.

Google has various projects in the access space including shared fiber,
wireless access via balloons, TV white spaces, and of course heavy
influence on Android.

-Eric

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Yahel Ben-David <[email-masked]>wrote:

> initiating this! Yahel. Berkeley. *
>
>
> [email-masked]
> https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>
>

---

From: Kevin Fall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 20:13:55 -0500

And I am Kevin Fall.

I think most of you know me already given previous activities in Tier
and DTN (while I was in California) and IRTF/IETF.  In early Jan 2013
I joined CMU as the CTO of the Software Engineering Institute (SEI)
and moved to Pittsburgh PA.

Nice to meet you all, and "see" you folks again that I haven't talked
with in some time.

Regards,
- Kevin

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Eric A. BREWER <[email-masked]> wrote:
> wireless access via balloons, TV white spaces, and of course heavy influence
> on Android.
>
> -Eric
>
>
>
>> Hiya’ll,
>> In the interest of brevity - my bio blurb can be found here:
>>
>> Getting the next-billion online, has been the focus of my work over the
>> past 15 years, while attempting to keep the net uncensored and free is
>> another emphasis.
>>
>> So-far, I’m failing miserably (at least if measured on a societal scale) -
>> but the more I fail the more encouraged and driven I get ;-)
>>
>>
>> Our current flagship project, as featured in this recent SF-Chronicle
>> article, explores ways in which SDN may further drive down the costs of
>> fixed, terrestrial wireless, broadband access to rural communities:
>>
>>
>> It appears there’s lots of overlap with research interests of this group’s
>> members - great!
>>
>> We’re a highly inclusive bunch - always seeking collaboration.
>>
>>
>> Thanks for initiating this!
>>
>>
>> Yahel.
>>
>> Berkeley.
>>
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Panagiotis Papadimitriou
>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Hmmm.  This email is going to get rather long if we all keep adding to
>>> it, but I'll attach one more.  I'm Scott Burleigh, a principal engineer at
>>> NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, which is operated by the California
>>> Institute of Technology.  I've been working on "delay-tolerant networking"
>>> technologies since 1998.  While the original motivation for the DTN research
>>> was to address issues in space flight mission operations, it has become
>>> clear that the capabilities of DTN can be applied to problems in terrestrial
>>> communications as well, particularly communications serving populations for
>>> whom Internet access may be elusive due to geographic, economic, or even
>>> political obstacles.  I'm interested in solving those problems.
>>>
>>> Scott
>>>
>>> the newly established European presence of InterDigital Inc. I've come to
>>> discuss with Arjuna about architectural problems (and possible
>>> advances in areas such as edge caching, ICN, and new backhaul technologies
>>> to overcome such obstacles in order to push the Internet to those who don't
>>> have proper access (and simply can't afford due to unsustainable economic
>>> foundations of how the Internet would be provided to them).
>>>
>>> from those who can provide us with insights into the needs of those who seek
>>> Internet access and the obstacles that hinder it. It seems obvious to me
>>> that we have a lot to share and a lot to learn.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Dirk
>>>
>>> pointed out, this is a fundamental social problem and the only way I could
>>> contribute is through the knowledge I have gained over the years
>>> - thats in networking.
>>>
>>> bring them together under one single abstraction and what are the benefits
>>> such an abstraction could bring - what we are trying to do is to bridge the
>>> gap between those who have and dont have - which in turn means we probably
>>> have an "opportunity" to explore new promising existing concepts/tech which
>>> promising results (DTN's timeshifting of content + additional reliability in
>>> energy constrained unreliable links; ICN's ability to do edge caching +
>>> localised access + reduce wastage etc)..
>>>
>>> infrastructures (www.publicaccesswifi.org) thereby reducing CAPEX as well as
>>> architectures that allow multi-stakeholder involvement thereby reducing
>>> OPEX. We are exploring the role of SDN + Scavenger access here.
>>>
>>> it doesn't currently function well or even exists at all is interesting to
>>> me - I actually think it's the #1 thing we as networking people can do in
>>> order to make life on the planet better - but I'm actually not working
>>> myself on anything related. I know Arjuna from when he did transport-layer
>>> stuf in the IETF, and when I met him again at Cambridge and started
>>> chatting, I offered the IRTF as a venue for the group he was trying to form.
>>> So, I'll mostly be lurking and maybe offer the occasional IETF/IRTF-related
>>> process advice, but it's YOUR show to run, folks.
>>>
>>> Lars
>>>
>>> --

---

From: Nick Feamster <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 10:30:54 -0500

Greetings.

I'm Nick Feamster, professor at Georgia Tech.  I come to this group having worked with Arjuna on the deployment of our BISmark home network testbed as part of the PAWS project at Cambridge (access to low-income communities).  We also have quite a lot of deployments in both wireline (home gateway) and cellular (Android app) in many developing countries.    We are working on additional deployments in developing countries to measure access network performance in this places.  A view or our current deployment is available here: http://networkdashboard.org/

I've also done lots of work in anti-censorship and universal access, ranging from both the design of circumvention systems to measurement of censorship and information manipulation.

Thanks,
Nick

---

From: Saleem Bhatti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 14:20:36 +0000

On 17 Dec 2013, at 14:54, Eggert, Lars <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I think it would be nice if folks on the list briefly introduced themselves, and said why they are interested in this topic.

"Hello", from Saleem Bhatti, University of St Andrews, UK.

I am interested in networks and things that use networks,
mobility, and energy/ICT, within the context of rural and
sub-urban communities in both "developed" and 
"developing" economies.

I currently have some work within an Indo-UK,
government-funded collaboration:

 http://www.iu-atc.com
 (some pages out of date, of course - sorry)

which is looking at development and application of
technologies for various applications (including health,
agriculture and education) for scenarios in India.

Cheers,
--/Saleem

---

From: Vint Cerf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 09:29:09 -0500

I'm Vint Cerf. Many years ago, my colleague, Bob Kahn, and I did the
initial design of the Internet. I have spent 4 decades working in various
capacities to extend its reach and functionality (along with a lot of other
people!). At Google, I am VP and chief Internet evangelist, so I can
resonate with getting another 4 billion people on line. I was part of the
team that did the original design of DTN at JPL and continue to work in
that space with a growing team. I wear a lot of other hats but I won't bore
you with recounting them hear - many have to do with various aspects of
Internet technology and governance. I am very interested in the work of the
gaia team.

v

---

From: "Lakshminarayanan Subramanian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 09:44:56 -0500

Looks like my earlier introduction email (from gmail) did not make it to
the mailing list. Resending it.

Hi, I am Lakshmi Subramanian.

I know a few of you in the mailing list. For those whom I dont know,
here's a quick bio: I am a professor at NYU and co-lead the Center for
Technology and Economic Development (CTED) where we work on different
technological solutions for global developmental problems. We work in
different areas including core technical problems such as connectivity,
information access, mobile
systems, off-grid solar and applied areas such as education, food and health.

With respect to this audience, relevant projects include:
a) long-distance WiFi (joint work with the Berkeley TIER group with Eric,
Kevin, Yahel and others).
b) Contextual Information Portals (offline Web access modules powered by
context-specific prefetching crawlers which we have used for delivering
educational content in schools in India, Kenya, Ghana)
c) Low-bandwidth transport and Web caching architectures for low-bandwidth
networks
d) mobile systems and services that work in extreme network conditions
(SMS based search, SMS powered Apps, mobile apps for health and
agriculture)
e) off-grid solar powered computing (solar-powered cell towers, clusters
etc.)
Currently, we are doing some work on enhancing mobile web and rural
cellular network architectures.

I would also like to point the folks in this mailing list to two specific
conferences:
1. ACM Symposium on Computing for Development (DEV):  http://acmdev.org
2. Information and Communication Technologies for Development (ICTD):
http://ictd2013.org

DEV and ICTD have emerged as the premier conferences on problems relating
to computing and communication solutions for development. DEV is much more
CS-focused on new technological solutions and ICTD is much more
interdisciplinary (with participation from Econ, Social Sciences) with a
focus on evaluating the impact of technology. There have 4 ACM DEV
conferences so far and 5-6 ICTD conferences so far. DEV has 100-150 CS
people attending every year and ICTD attracts a broader array of 450-500
people (which includes the 100-150 CS people in DEV). Typically, these two
conferences have been co-located. The last one happened 1-2 weeks before
in South Africa.

cheers
lakshmi

---

From: Jay Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 12:42:13 -0500

Hi,

Pleased to meet you all. I'm Jay Chen a Computer Science professor at 
NYU in Abu Dhabi, also a member of CTED.

I work in a similar research space as Lakshmi. My dissertation work was 
focused on information access for developing regions. I explored 
possible solutions across different technologies, networking layers, 
application areas, and contexts. More info about me specifically may be 
found: http://cs.nyu.edu/~jchen/ <http://cs.nyu.edu/%7Ejchen/>

I'm looking forward to this discussion.

Thanks,
Jay

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 20:25:59 -0000 (GMT)

Greetings,

I'm a researcher at IBM Research, Dublin. Officially I'm a part of the Big
Data team, wherein my primary focus is batch-processing and
stream-processing systems, but I indulge in "ICT4D-centric things" on the
sides. My recent ICT4D work has included an analysis of Internet
censorship in Pakistan and a low-cost video conferencing solution that
leverages Raspberry Pi for the developing world. I'm currently interested
in using Raspberry Pi for other functions, such as Internet security, in
the developing world.

Best,
Zubair

On Thu, December 19, 2013 17:42, Jay Chen wrote:
> focused on information access for developing regions. I explored possible
> solutions across different technologies, networking layers, application
> areas, and contexts. More info about me specifically may be found:
> http://cs.nyu.edu/~jchen/ <http://cs.nyu.edu/%7Ejchen/>
>
>
>> Looks like my earlier introduction email (from gmail) did not make it
>> to the mailing list. Resending it.
>>
>>  information access, mobile systems, off-grid solar and applied areas
>> such as education, food and health.
>>
>>  context-specific prefetching crawlers which we have used for
>> delivering educational content in schools in India, Kenya, Ghana) c)
>> Low-bandwidth transport and Web caching architectures for low-bandwidth
>>  networks d) mobile systems and services that work in extreme network
>> conditions (SMS based search, SMS powered Apps, mobile apps for health
>> and agriculture) e) off-grid solar powered computing (solar-powered cell
>> towers, clusters etc.) Currently, we are doing some work on enhancing
>> mobile web and rural cellular network architectures.
>>
>> I would also like to point the folks in this mailing list to two
>> specific conferences:
>> DEV and ICTD have emerged as the premier conferences on problems
>> relating to computing and communication solutions for development. DEV
>> is much more CS-focused on new technological solutions and ICTD is much
>> more interdisciplinary (with participation from Econ, Social Sciences)
>> with a focus on evaluating the impact of technology. There have 4 ACM
>> DEV
>> people (which includes the 100-150 CS people in DEV). Typically, these
>> two conferences have been co-located. The last one happened 1-2 weeks
>> before in South Africa.
>>
>> cheers lakshmi
>>
>>> initial design of the Internet. I have spent 4 decades working in
>>> various capacities to extend its reach and functionality (along with a
>>> lot of other people!). At Google, I am VP and chief Internet
>>> evangelist, so I can resonate with getting another 4 billion people on
>>> line. I was part of the team that did the original design of DTN at
>>> JPL and continue to work in
>>> that space with a growing team. I wear a lot of other hats but I won't
>>>  bore you with recounting them hear - many have to do with various
>>> aspects of Internet technology and governance. I am very interested in
>>> the work of the gaia team.
>>>
>>> v _______________________________________________
>>> gaia mailing list [email-masked] https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>>>
>>>
>> gaia mailing list [email-masked] https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>>
>
>
>