Subject: Re: [gaia] A Conceptual Framework for Access to Internet Divide

From: Dessalegn Mequanint <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 12:43:47 -0800 (PST)

I promise to share the findings of a  research  to the mailing list which I think is very relevant in terms of highlighting the key challenges of closing up access to Internet divide in emerging economies( the case of Ethiopia) .  I am hopping the study's draft report to be available in three weeks time- the theme of the research was "mining quality of life divide from access to Internet divide."  A conceptual framework for access to Internet divide that evolves to quality of life divide is one of the components that constitute the study report.

Dessalegn  

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 11:02 PM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> wrote:
 
----- Forwarded Message -----

Send gaia mailing list submissions to
    [email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
    https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
    [email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
    [email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of gaia digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. Presentations for GAIA (Arjuna Sathiaseelan)
   2. Re: GAIA Proposed Charter (Trossen, Dirk)
All,
  Most of the slides are now up - waiting for a few more which will be
uploaded once I get them:

https://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/gaia

Arjuna
-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/

All,

Following up on the discussion during the meeting, I would suggest to
make some clearer references to future 5G effort worldwide since (as
Dirk Kutscher pointed out) many of the concepts and technologies as well
as economic considerations (e.g., multi-tenant business models)
considered for future 5G networks could very relevant for this group
with a possible mission in this charter to include the universal access
challenge into the overall objectives of various worldwide 5G efforts.

Best,

Dirk

-----Original Message-----
From: gaia [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Arjuna
Sathiaseelan
Sent: 04 March 2014 11:19
To: Jim Forster
Cc: gaia
Subject: Re: [gaia] GAIA Proposed Charter

Thanks Jim for the pointers. I agree with your observations and link to
one of my paper that shares your thoughts (but more for the developed
world perspective):
http://lec.sagepub.com/content/28/6/580.short

In the UK, we have similar initiatives: Tegola in
Scotland(http://www.tegola.org.uk/networks.html) the WRAY project in
Lancaster
(http://imagination.lancaster.ac.uk/activities/Telling_Tales_Engagement_
Wray_Broadband_Project).

It will be great to meet you and discuss more. Will send an offline
email to see if we can meet tomorrow :). Thanks Jim.

On 4 March 2014 10:56, Jim Forster <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Arjuna, all:
>
> I strongly support the goals of GAIA as articulated in your message,
and the importance of policy in achieving these goals.
>
> I would take a small issue with one statement in the second paragraph:
>
>> Access problems often result from sparsely spread populations living 
>> in physically remote locations, since it is simply not cost effective

>> for Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to install the required 
>> infrastructure for broadband Internet access to these areas
>
> While I agree that there are some remote locations that are more
expensive than others, there are also many locations that are unserved
today, but which might reasonable reached through technologies in use
today, and even more by normal progression of Moore's Law.
>
> An example is AirJaldi, a Wireless ISP for rural India, started first
by Yahel Ben-David (who posted earlier to this list).  AirJaldi pushes
the Internet into the more remote and rural areas of India, such as
Garwal, Kuamon.  We use low cost directional WiFi gear, usually solar
powered, for backhaul, distribution, and access.   A recent study for
Google, "Connectivity Models for Developing Economies", by Benoit Felton
(http://www.diffractionanalysis.com/2014/03/03/white-paper-connectivity-
models-for-developing-economies/ ), describe's AirJaldi's history and
approach.
>
> I would make a couple further observations:
>
>  * Mobile broadband is not the only way to do broadband.  The mobile
companies are very important, and their solution will undoubtedly
dominate for consumer Internet access, but for a school or business that
wants 2-20Mbos continuously other technologies can be useful.
>
>  * Fixed lines do not exist in these unserved areas, but yet a
replacement is needed.  Service to a location has technical advantages
over service to a mobile phone; in particular a small antenna can be
mounted on a roof, and deliver 10-30db signal gain over a mobile at very
little cost.
>
>  * Fiber is always best, but does not reach everywhere.  What's the
best technologies to use after the fiber?
>
> I'm in London for the IETF, but unfortunately must leave before the
Thursday meeting.
>  -- Jim

--
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/

_______________________________________________
gaia mailing list
[email-masked]
https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia

Dirk Trossen 
Principal Engineer
InterDigital UK, Inc.
Shoreditch Business Center
64 Great Eastern Street
London, EC2A 3QR
T: +44 20 7749 9178
[email-masked]
www.InterDigital.com

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient. Unintended transmission shall not constitute waiver of any privilege or confidentiality obligation. If you received this communication in error, please do not review, copy or distribute it, notify me immediately by email, and delete the original message and any attachments. Unless expressly stated in this e-mail, nothing in this message or any attachment should be construed as a digital or electronic signature.

_______________________________________________
gaia mailing list
[email-masked]
https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia