Subject: [gaia] Fwd: [TIER] Call For Papers DEV-5

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 07:59:30 +0100

the CfP for DEV 5 is now out..

We will be having the GAIA meeting a day before on the 4th - which would be
either a full day or half day session based on the presentations with
longer durations this time.

So if you are interested in presenting at the GAIA meeting - please let me
know in advance even though there is plenty of time.

Arjuna

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Vanessa Frias-Martinez <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 May 2014 18:51
Subject: [TIER] Call For Papers DEV-5
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

 Call for Papers

DEV 2014 provides an international forum for research in the design and
implementation of information and communication technologies (ICTs) for
social and economic development. In particular, we focus on emerging
contexts where conventional computing solutions are often inappropriate due
to various contextual factors - including, but not limited to, cost,
language, literacy, and the availability of power and bandwidth.

 Papers and posters should describe original and previously unpublished
research. Three metrics will be applied to judge the submissions: (a)
Relevance of the problem for development; (b) Novelty of the technical
solution; (c) Evaluation of the solution, making a case for
development-focused impact. All DEV paper submissions should either provide
or directly motivate a novel technical solution that has direct
implications for development. Topics of interest include, but are not
limited to:

 Networks/Systems/Security/Architecture

   -

   Low-cost wireless connectivity
   -

   Intermittent networks and systems
   -

   Power-efficient systems
   -

   Low-cost computing devices
   -

   Mobile systems and applications
   -

   Mixed networks, e.g., telephony and IP
   -

   Special-purpose sensor systems
   -

   Security challenges in developing regions

 HCI/Applications

   -

   User interfaces for low-literacy populations
   -

   Multi-lingual computing
   -

   User-interfaces for low-cost devices
   -

   Participatory methods and user-centered design
   -

   Accessibility to disabled populations in developing regions
   -

   Design and evaluation of applications for health, microfinance,
   education, agriculture, entertainment

 AI/NLP/Data Mining/Speech/Vision

   -

   Machine learning techniques for large-scale data analysis in development
   contexts
   -

   Adapting content and applications to local languages and education levels
   -

   Understanding social relationships and information flows in
   disadvantaged societies
   -

   Speech interfaces and speech recognition for low-resource languages
   -

   Development of new AI-centric tools/solutions for development
   -

   Computer vision challenges in development

 We also welcome papers outside of these topics that address the DEV focus
on computing innovations supporting social and economic development. More
information is available on the website: http://dev5.acmdev.org/. Follow
conference updates on @ACMDEV2014. Please direct enquiries to
[email-masked].

 Important Dates

   Full paper due:

Author notification:

Conference:

August 1, 2014 (11:59pm
UTC<http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=DEV+2013+Submission+Deadline&iso=20111021T235959>)
- firm deadline

September 8, 2014

December 5-6, 2014

_______________________________________________
TIER mailing list
Website: http://tier.cs.berkeley.edu
[email-masked]
https://www.millennium.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tier

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/