Subject: [gaia] Fwd: [TIER] Fwd: CfP: Pacific Telecommunications Council Young Scholar Program 2015

From: Melissa Densmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 23:36:46 -0700

-------- Original Message --------
  Subject: CfP: Pacific Telecommunications Council Young Scholar Program
2015  Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 16:11:00 -0700  From: Chun, Mark
<[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>  To: [email-masked]
<[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>  CC: 'Fife, Elizabeth ([email-masked])'
<[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>, Chun, Mark
<[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>, Kin Mei Cheng
<[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>, Kin Cheng <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>

Pacific Telecommunications Council’s (PTC) Young Scholar Program aims to
recognize, encourage, and support up-and-coming scholars in the field of
information and communication technologies (ICTs).

Outstanding applicants for the 2015 PTC Young Scholar Program will be
invited to present their research at PTC’s 37th consecutive annual
conference, PTC’15 Networked Planet <https://www.ptc.org/ptc15>, which will
take place in Honolulu, Hawaii from 18-21 January 2015.

The submission deadline for the 2015 PTC Young Scholar Program is *1
September 2014*.

*Eligibility*

The PTC Young Scholar Program is open to actively enrolled Ph.D. students
and to individuals holding post-doctoral positions. Applicants should be 35
years old or under at the time of the application deadline.

Individuals from emerging economies are strongly encouraged to apply.

*Participant Benefits*

The PTC Young Scholar Program offers promising young scholars the
opportunity to:

·         Present their research in a high-visibility academic and industry
forum

·         Participate in PTC'15 activities

·         Gain exposure to current industry issues and trends

·         Meet PTC’15 attendees to share ideas, gain new insights, and
identify possible practical applications of their research

·         Network with industry professionals, members of international
organizations and NGOs, government officials, and academics from over 60
countries

·         PTC will cover the travel expenses associated with attending
PTC’15 for the selected applicants.

·         Covered expenses include:

o   Full conference registration

o   Round-trip economy airfare

o   Round-trip transportation between the hotel and the Honolulu airport

o   6 nights of hotel accommodations

o   Meal stipend

o   Reimbursement of travel visa fees, if applicable

*PTC Young Scholar Rules and Guidelines*

·         You are responsible for obtaining your travel visa (if needed)

·         You must attend the entire PTC conference

·         You must attend the Young Scholar events: welcome orientation,
presentation session, poster session and awards lunch

·         You need to provide your slides and papers to PTC

·         Conference proceedings will be available online, but this does
not prevent you from publishing your paper

·         You can only be a Young Scholar one time

If your application isn't selected, you are welcome to reapply in following
years

If you are selected as a Young Scholar we hope you will be an "ambassador"
for PTC and the Young Scholar program in the future

*Application Process*

The successful application consists of the following components:

*Completed* 2015 PTC Young Scholar Program application form (editable PDF)
<https://www.ptc.org/images/ptc15/YSP-Application_2015_FINAL.pdf>

*One-page statement of interest*
Please provide a one-page statement explaining your interest in this
program and how your research aligns with the vision, mission, and
interests of PTC and its community.

*Curriculum vitae* (current copy of CV)

*Single-authored research paper*
Please submit a full research paper (20-page maximum), including a title,
abstract (190-word maximum), one-page executive summary, and complete
references.

*Title*
The most effective titles are descriptive yet succinct. Please ensure your
paper’s title does not exceed two lines of printed text.

*Abstract*
The abstract ought to provide readers with a clear and concise summary of
the key points from each of the sections of your research paper. Please
keep your abstract to 190 words or less.

*Executive Summary*
The executive summary ought to provide a professional audience an overview
of the problem(s) your research aimed to address, the purpose of your
research, and your study’s results, conclusions, and recommendations.

*References*
You are welcome to use the citation style of your choice (i.e., APA,
Chicago, etc.). Please be sure your chosen citation style is consistent
throughout your document.

Research papers may employ any established research methodology, be it
quantitative and/or qualitative in nature.

Research paper topics should be relevant to telecommunications and to
information and communications technologies (ICTs) (i.e., policy- or
industry-related topics, development-oriented studies, etc.). Research
topics may be interdisciplinary or grounded in a specific discipline
(economics, political science, business, communications, public policy) and
may reflect regional and/or cross-regional perspectives.

Please be sure to address the broader implications of your research as they
relate to broader ICT-related issues or debates.

Please note: Applicants may submit only ONE research paper for
consideration. The research paper must not exceed 20 pages in length,
including all front matter (i.e. title page, abstract, and executive
summary), figures, tables, and complete references.

Please format your supporting materials according to standard style
guidelines (e.g. 12-point Times New Roman font, double-spaced, 1-inch
margins).

To submit your application materials, please compile the relevant files
noted above and compress them into a single .zip file. Please send an email
with the complete .zip file to [email-masked] no later than *1
September 2014*.

*Selection Criteria*

Submitted papers and supporting application materials will be evaluated
based on overall quality, originality, and relevance to the PTC community.
Research papers will also be evaluated based on their publication potential
and clarity. Please keep in mind that both the selection committee and the
broader PTC community represent a wide range of interests, disciplines, and
regions.

Applicants will be notified of the status of their application by *22
September 2014*.

https://www.ptc.org/community/initiatives.html#ptc-young-scholar-program

To Your Success,

Mark

*Dr. Mark W.S. Chun *Director of the  *Center for Applied Research
<http://bschool.pepperdine.edu/appliedresearch/> *• Editor-In-Chief of The
Graziadio Business Review <http://gbr.pepperdine.edu/> • Associate Professor of
Information Systems

Graziadio School of Business and Management • Pepperdine University

[email-masked] <[email-masked]>* • *bschool.pepperdine.edu
<http://bschool.pepperdine.edu>*

P: 310.258.2824 F: 310.568.5778 • 6100 Center Drive, Suite 400, Los
Angeles, CA 90045

*Join the Graziadio School on:  *[image: Description: Description:
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Southern-and-Northern-California/Pepperdine-University-Graziadio-School-of-Business-and-Management/39182251657>
  [image: Description: Description: Description: Description:
<http://twitter.com/graziadioschool>  [image:
Description: Description: Description: Description:
<http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/3722>  [image:
Description: Description: Description: Description:
<http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=50A13C6E7455745B>

 To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to [email-masked].

_______________________________________________
TIER mailing list
Website: http://tier.cs.berkeley.edu
[email-masked]
https://www.millennium.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tier