Subject: [gaia] Fwd: Cisco to Invest $40mn in Indian Startups;

From: Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 18:17:02 +0530

wondering if Cisco would invest in a community wifi start up project
thoughts?

    Cisco Investments Allocates $40 mn to Back Indian Product Startups;
Covacsis, Mobstack Get Funded
<http://mailer.nextbigwhat.com/l/GStdMuY2QhGP892P6XHD1zvg/ZziT8vS892lLeGb72grhyh3w/hTs7vVIJDoeT8XLdEskH763A>
     [image: Cisco Investments Allocates $40 mn to Back Indian Product
Startups; Covacsis, Mobstack Get Funded]
<http://mailer.nextbigwhat.com/l/GStdMuY2QhGP892P6XHD1zvg/ZziT8vS892lLeGb72grhyh3w/hTs7vVIJDoeT8XLdEskH763A>

Cisco investments, the venture capital arm of Cisco today announced the
allocation of $40 mn to fund early-stage firms in India.

<http://mailer.nextbigwhat.com/l/GStdMuY2QhGP892P6XHD1zvg/ZziT8vS892lLeGb72grhyh3w/hTs7vVIJDoeT8XLdEskH763A>

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 20:47:56 +0100

not sure - but my thinking would be this is Cisco Investments - so the aim
would be to make profits on their investments. For a community wifi startup
type project, probably best to look for ISOC community grants:
http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/grants-awards/community-grants

Google.org may also be an option. There are folks here who have received
grants from Google.org (for e.g the denovogroup).

You could also ask Jim Forster for suggestions.

Regards

On 23 June 2014 13:47, Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>
>

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/

---

From: Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 09:31:59 +0530

Thanks Arjuna

I agree that multinational corporations don't make good partners

I am thinnking of a sustainable social enterprise (here in India) with
no  uprfont startup capital
using/testing/prototyping the models in the draft being circulated

but a grant  to help us set ups shop would be good

any social capital investors  on this list interested in chipping in,
also as advisors
please ping :-)

(anyone else from this list is in Ladakh this month, lets connect :-)

PDM

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 07:37:44 +0100

another possible way could be to apply for a research grant via DST to
setup a deployment and proposing to study some behaviour (usage for
instance and deciphering new sustainable models for e.g.) -

you could probably talk to Prof HS Jamadagni from Indian Institute of
Science for advice about this - he is in the GAIA list.

Regards

---

From: Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 12:56:45 +0530

Thanks a lot Arjuna , will do that asap
(compatibly with internet access on the road)
will keep the list posted
cheers
PDM