Subject: [gaia] ACM DEV and building the European Community

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 14:23:50 +0100

All,
  Just to let you all know Lakshmi and I are working out the GAIA
workshop arrangements for Dec 4th with the DEV chairs. It will be in
the Hilton Hotel (will let you know the address) in San Francisco.
Hopefully within the next few weeks we will provide you with the
details.

The next announcement is about building the European community who are
working on networking technologies directly/indirectly for development
-

I had a chat with Marco Zennaro from ICTP
(http://wireless.ictp.it/about.html). We think it will be good to host
an workshop focussed on the European community. The idea of the
workshop would be bring together the different research groups in
Europe who are currently working in the area of Internet access
provisioning as well as in areas directly related, to create
networking opportunities between them, and to also explore/create EU
H2020 funding opportunities together. But the important part of the
agenda would be drive/create a 3-5 year research agenda with
measurable outcomes. We are planning to invite folks from the European
Commission too.

The workshop will be held in Cambridge at the Computer Lab. So the
possible dates for the workshop would be sometime in October. There is
no registration fees - only your own travel costs. We are trying to
get some funding to host this workshop to cover food.

I know we have the CnBub workshop - so how about October third week?
We may have a two or three day event based on participation/interests.
Two is highly likely and seems optimal.

We are hoping to get maximum participation from the european GAIA
members as well as non-GAIA (this event will be a platform to get them
onboard too!).

Let me know the thoughts.

Arjuna

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/

---

From: "Trossen, Dirk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 09:33:37 -0400

Hi Arjuna,

Great to see the efforts at the European level, in addition to the GAIA
preparations.

I could do a workshop during October in Cambridge. The sooner we fix the
date, the better.

Best,

Dirk 

-----Original Message-----
From: gaia [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Arjuna
Sathiaseelan
Sent: 12 June 2014 14:24
To: gaia
Subject: [gaia] ACM DEV and building the European Community

All,
  Just to let you all know Lakshmi and I are working out the GAIA
workshop arrangements for Dec 4th with the DEV chairs. It will be in the
Hilton Hotel (will let you know the address) in San Francisco.
Hopefully within the next few weeks we will provide you with the
details.

I had a chat with Marco Zennaro from ICTP
(http://wireless.ictp.it/about.html). We think it will be good to host
an workshop focussed on the European community. The idea of the workshop
would be bring together the different research groups in Europe who are
currently working in the area of Internet access provisioning as well as
in areas directly related, to create networking opportunities between
them, and to also explore/create EU
H2020 funding opportunities together. But the important part of the
agenda would be drive/create a 3-5 year research agenda with measurable
outcomes. We are planning to invite folks from the European Commission
too.

The workshop will be held in Cambridge at the Computer Lab. So the
possible dates for the workshop would be sometime in October. There is
no registration fees - only your own travel costs. We are trying to get
some funding to host this workshop to cover food.

Arjuna

_______________________________________________
gaia mailing list
[email-masked]
https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia

Dirk Trossen 
Principal Engineer
InterDigital UK, Inc.
Shoreditch Business Center
64 Great Eastern Street
London, EC2A 3QR
T: +44 20 7749 9178
[email-masked]
www.InterDigital.com

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient. Unintended transmission shall not constitute waiver of any privilege or confidentiality obligation. If you received this communication in error, please do not review, copy or distribute it, notify me immediately by email, and delete the original message and any attachments. Unless expressly stated in this e-mail, nothing in this message or any attachment should be construed as a digital or electronic signature.

---

From: "Jose Saldana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 15:45:44 +0200

+1

Great idea indeed!

Jose

> -----Mensaje original-----
> De: gaia [mailto:[email-masked]] En nombre de Arjuna Sathiaseelan
> Enviado el: jueves, 12 de junio de 2014 15:24
> Para: gaia
> Asunto: [gaia] ACM DEV and building the European Community
> 
> All,
>   Just to let you all know Lakshmi and I are working out the GAIA workshop
> arrangements for Dec 4th with the DEV chairs. It will be in the Hilton
Hotel (will let
> you know the address) in San Francisco.
> Hopefully within the next few weeks we will provide you with the details.
> 
(http://wireless.ictp.it/about.html). We
> think it will be good to host an workshop focussed on the European
community. The
> idea of the workshop would be bring together the different research groups
in
> Europe who are currently working in the area of Internet access
provisioning as well
> as in areas directly related, to create networking opportunities between
them, and to
> also explore/create EU
> H2020 funding opportunities together. But the important part of the agenda
would be
> drive/create a 3-5 year research agenda with measurable outcomes. We are
> planning to invite folks from the European Commission too.
> 
possible dates
> for the workshop would be sometime in October. There is no registration
fees - only
> your own travel costs. We are trying to get some funding to host this
workshop to
> cover food.
> We are hoping to get maximum participation from the european GAIA members
as
> well as non-GAIA (this event will be a platform to get them onboard too!).
>

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 20:55:00 +0100

Thanks for the positive response for the workshop in October.

Leandro who coordinates the EU Confine project suggested to me that
the Confine meeting will be held in Rome on October 28, 29 and 30.
Most of the community wireless network operators will be attending. So
he suggested we could have our meeting in Rome if we wanted to.

Ofcourse, this depends on where the majority would like to have the
meeting depending on your travel budget/plans.

But will be good to know your opinion.

If you prefer Cambridge, then I can go ahead and suggest dates (Oct
20, 21) and book the logistics. If its Rome, then it will be October
26-27 and we have to go via University of Roma.

Arjuna

---

From: "Steven G. Huter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 13:01:25 -0700 (PDT)

Both locations sound good for a number of reasons, Arjuna.

Perhaps run some budgetary planning numbers with the respective local 
hosts in each location and what might be contributed in-kind (meeting 
space, connectivity, etc.) to get a better sense of the costs in each 
location.

Steve

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 21:06:11 +0100

Thanks Steve.

If its Cambridge, we can book a meeting room free of charge and we
have free WiFi connectivity (including eduroam). The only cost would
be food and any other extras. Mat Ford suggested we could try ISOC for
funding to host. Marco also has a few funding options which he can
pursue. I am not sure about UoRoma - i think its pretty much the same
as Cambridge.

Regards
Arjuna

On 12 June 2014 21:01, Steven G. Huter <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Perhaps run some budgetary planning numbers with the respective local hosts
> in each location and what might be contributed in-kind (meeting space,
> connectivity, etc.) to get a better sense of the costs in each location.
>
> Steve
>
>

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 18:35:52 +0100

All,
  Thanks for the great response for the October workshop in Cambridge.
We seem to have around 25 members who have confirmed
(http://doodle.com/kq4nxewwsytwvva6e8mepiau/admin#table) and another 4
members who have confirmed to me by email. 30 is a good number.

If anyone is still keen to join and have not voited, please fill in
the doodle poll soon - I will close the poll end of this week and
finalise the numbers. Thanks.

Regards
Arjuna