Subject: [gaia] Facebook engineers on scaling android apps for emerging markets

From: Steve Song <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:13:20 -0300

Hi all,

Very interesting talk by Facebook engineers about how they are optimising
Android for emerging markets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WktKZXHFwjA

Cheers... Steve

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 05:28:37 +0100

Hello Steve,
  Great video - very useful..

Interestingly our discussion yesterday at the GAIA workshop focussed
on some of the topics discussed in the video (the slides will be there
by today for all of you to look at)..

One of the issues we discusses yesterday was how unnecessary ads and
trackers (especially from mobile phones with free apps) were consuming
the precious capacity and also wasting energy (with all those
background chatter).

It will be interesting to how facebook and others would try and solve
this problem..

One of the good outcomes thats emerging out of the workshop is we are
trying to identify ways of GAIA can influence design
protocol/algorithm design decisions at the IETF. And by doing this, we
can not only influence the standardization processes but also
influence application designers and service providers to take into
considerations of the requirements or limitations of emerging
regions/deprived communities.

I think it will be great to build a theme for GAIA around this and
appoint a theme leader who could oversee and steer GAIA towards this.

Regards
Arjuna

On 20 October 2014 18:13, Steve Song <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/