Subject: [gaia] Fwd: [noise@ischool] FCC Open Internet Roundtable / Network Neutrality

From: Melissa Densmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 23:09:21 -0700

Thought this might be of interest to all of you.

Melissa
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andrew McConachie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Subject: [noise@ischool] FCC Open Internet Roundtable / Network Neutrality
To: Noise <[email-masked]>

 The FCC is hosting an Open Internet Roundtable October 7, 9:30 AM - 1:00
PM EDT. It's in DC but will be webcasted as well @ http://www.fcc.gov/live

"The roundtable discussions will focus on public policy considerations and
how they should be addressed to protect and promote Internet openness in
both the fixed and mobile markets; the technological considerations
involved in protecting the open Internet; how the competitive landscape and
the economics of providing broadband and online services affects Internet
openness; how the Commission can effectively enforce the current and
proposed open Internet requirements; and the various legal theories
underlying possible Commission actions in this area."

If you can't view the live webcast it should be archived once it's done @
http://www.fcc.gov/events/past

More info at http://www.fcc.gov/events/open-internet-roundtable-law I also
pasted it below.

--Andrew

* October 7, 2014, 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM EDT *
* Commission Meeting Room, 445 12th Street SW, Washington, DC * *Internet
Openness and the Law*

In the *2014 Open Internet NPRM
<http://www.fcc.gov/document/protecting-and-promoting-open-internet-nprm>*,
the Commission began the process of closing the gap created by the Verizon
decision, which left no legally enforceable rules for the Commission to
prevent broadband providers from acting to limit Internet openness. The *2014
Open Internet NPRM
<http://www.fcc.gov/document/protecting-and-promoting-open-internet-nprm>*
sought broad public comment on how the Commission should ensure that the
Internet remains open, and proposed new rules and enhancements to current
rules.

To further develop our understanding of the issues, the Commission is
hosting a series
<http://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-schedules-series-open-internet-roundtable-discussions>
of staff-led Open Internet Roundtable Discussions that are free and open to
the public. The Open Internet Roundtable Discussions provide an opportunity
for the Commission staff and interested parties to further examine the
actions the Commission should take for its goal of determining the best
approach to protecting and promoting Internet openness.

The roundtable discussions will focus on public policy considerations and
how they should be addressed to protect and promote Internet openness in
both the fixed and mobile markets; the technological considerations
involved in protecting the open Internet; how the competitive landscape and
the economics of providing broadband and online services affects Internet
openness; how the Commission can effectively enforce the current and
proposed open Internet requirements; and the various legal theories
underlying possible Commission actions in this area.

*Attendance and Participation:* The roundtables will be free and open to
the public, and the FCC also will stream them live at
http://www.fcc.gov/live. The location of the roundtables will be the
Commission Meeting Room (TW-C305), 445 12th Street, S.W., Washington, D.C.,
20554. The FCC will make available an overflow room for those in-person
attendees who cannot be accommodated in the Commission Meeting Room. We
advise persons planning to attend the roundtables in person to leave
sufficient time to enter through building security.

The FCC encourages members of the public to submit suggested questions in
advance and during the roundtables by email to [email-masked] or on
Twitter using the hashtag #FCCRoundtables
<https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q=%23FCCRoundtables&src=typd>.
Please note that by submitting a question, you will be making a filing in
an official FCC proceeding. All information submitted, including names,
addresses, and other personal information contained in the message, may be
publicly available online.

Reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities are available upon
request. The request should include a detailed description of the
accommodation needed and contact information. We ask that requests for
accommodations be made as soon as possible in order to allow the agency to
satisfy such requests whenever possible. Send an email to [email-masked] or
call the Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau at 202-418-0530 (voice),
202-418-0432 (TTY).

For additional information about this roundtable on Internet Openness and
the Law, please contact Andrew Erber, Office of General Counsel, at
[email-masked].
Agenda

*Welcome and Opening Remarks* - *9:30 - 9:45 am*

*Roundtable 1: Sources of Legal Authority* - *9:45 - 11:15 am*
*This roundtable will discuss the sources of authority on which the
Commission could ground Open Internet rules, including a range of
approaches relying on Section 706, Title II, and other possible sources of
authority.*

   - *Panelists:*
      - *Mark Cooper*, Director of Research, Consumer Federation of America
      - *Gus Hurwitz*, Assistant Professor of Law, Nebraska College of Law
      - *Pantelis Michalopoulos*, Partner, Steptoe & Johnson LLP
      - *Thomas Navin*, Partner, Wiley Rein LLP
      - *Nuala O’Connor*, President and CEO, Center for Democracy and
      Technology
      - *Tim Wu*, Professor of Law, Columbia Law School
    - *Moderators:*
      - *Jonathan Sallet*, General Counsel, FCC
      - *Stephanie Weiner*, Special Advisor to the Chairman on Internet Law
      and Policy & Associate General Counsel, FCC

*Roundtable 2: Construction of Legally Sustainable Rules* - *11:30 am -
1:00 pm*
*This roundtable will consider additional legal issues, including
constitutional considerations, the nature of common-carriage regulation,
and approaches to agency rulemaking and adjudication using tools like
prescriptive rules, legal standards, prohibitions, and presumptions to
protect and promote Internet openness.*

   - *Panelists:*
      - *Marvin Ammori*, Fellow, New America Foundation
      - *Anne Boyle*, Commissioner, Nebraska Public Service Commission
      - *Fred Campbell*, Director, Center for Boundless Innovation in
      Technology
      - *Julia Johnson*, Chair, Minority Media & Telecommunications Council
      - *Tejas Narechania*, Julius Silver Research Fellow, Columbia Law
      School
      - *John Windhausen*, Jr., President, Telepoly Consulting
    - *Moderators:*
      - *Jonathan Sallet*, General Counsel, FCC
      - *Stephanie Weiner*, Special Advisor to the Chairman on Internet Law
      and Policy & Associate General Counsel, FCC

Live Webcast

   - Watch the Live Webcast <http://www.fcc.gov/live>

Related Materials

   - Agenda & Panelists
   <http://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-announces-panelists-107-open-internet-roundtable-discussion>
*-
   September 29, 2014*
   - Public Notice
   <http://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-schedules-series-open-internet-roundtable-discussions>
*-
   August 8, 2014*
   - NPRM: Protecting and Promoting the Open Internet
   <http://www.fcc.gov/document/protecting-and-promoting-open-internet-nprm> *-
   May 15, 2014*

--
This message was sent to [email-masked]
Unsubscribe or update your options:
https://calmail.berkeley.edu/manage/list/options/[email-masked]