Subject: Re: [gaia] gaia Digest, Vol 11, Issue 23

From: Braem Bart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:09:23 +0000

(I receive list digests, sorry for breaking the thread structure in your mailbox.)

On 21 Oct 2014, at 19:36, [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> wrote:

I was talking with Leandro last night in the pub (which proves that there is
value in going to pubs) about something he said yesterday during his
presentation. The point he made was that implementations of IETF protocols (I am
assuming principally OLSR, but potentially this includes OSPF and BGP) in
community networks have diverged from the specifications documented in RFCs as
features and fixes have evolved.

It would be nice to have these things documented so that:
- new people can implement without having to discover and fix the
 same issues
- new implementations can be dropped into deployments with some
 chance of interoperation
- the IETF can learn and benefit from real-world experience

It seemed to us that three separate pieces of work would be valuable (possibly
repeated for each protocol)...

1. Deployment experiences and issues encountered.
What network characteristics and topologies were deployed? What was the network
stability and loading? What happened?

2. Advice for configuration and deployment.
What values were selected for protocol parameters? What configurations worked
and didn't work? What advice can be given for specific applications?

3. Protocol issues and proposed solutions
In what way were existing protocol specifications deficient or unclear? (This
may relate back to 1 and 2). What solutions/hacks were implemented? What updates
to the RFCs should be made?

I have a little experience producing Internet-Drafts, in particular in
understanding the draft-publish-review-repeat cycle that may be unfamiliar to a
lot of you in this forum. So I'd be willing to help with the process and handle
the editorial side. Of course, I would still need the information from you.

Who would like to work with Leandro and me to make this happen?
Shall we start with OLSR and work from there?

I would certainly like to work on this too. We will have to discuss this in further detail with Aaron and Henning, something which we can follow up next week in Rome I think.

with enthusiastic regards,
Bart
--
dr. Bart Braem
MOSAIC research group - iMinds
University of Antwerp
Campus Middelheim, G3.26
Middelheimlaan 1
B-2020 Antwerpen, Belgium
Phone: +32 (0)3 265.38.64
Web: https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/rg/mosaic/