Subject: [gaia] Internet services: use public money to help everyone benefit

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 13:02:18 +0000

Jon Crowcroft's thoughts on how we could solve the affordability
problem as well as our GAIA:
https://theconversation.com/internet-services-use-public-money-to-help-everyone-benefit-33809

Regards
-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/

---

From: Steve Song <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 15:29:18 +0000

I agree in large part with this article although there is one part that
raises a yellow flag for me:

"Another cost barrier is the cost of billing. Some users do not have bank
accounts or credit cards. However, they will have social security numbers
through which the cost of providing them internet access can be paid off
through other connected services – for example, through additions to tax
bills or deductions from benefits."

One possible negative outcome of this is that the disadvantaged end up
paying with their privacy for access.  We see this happening with many
programmes to assist the poor that can have the negative side-effect of
disempowering them through finding their way into databases that may
trigger additional surveillance or more subtle forms of discrimination.

Regards... Steve Song

On Thu Nov 06 2014 at 09:02:33 Arjuna Sathiaseelan <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>

---

From: Henning G Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 10:49:19 -0500

The risk is real:

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db1027/FCC-14-173A1.pdf

(A number of parties have proposed, in Congress and elsewhere, to make
Lifeline funding available for Internet access. In the US, the funding
amount is $9.25/month.)

See

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/lifeline-and-link-affordable-telephone-service-income-eligible-consumers

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 16:10:28 +0000

very good point - it was an "opinion piece" so i didn't really cover all the ground as well as i would for a full
paper - that's certainly a real risk

In missive <CAD_CWO3PXPt=[email-masked]>, Steve Song typed:

 >>--===============0272221515371648849==
 >>Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=047d7b2e468a1f50460507325c94
 >>
 >>--047d7b2e468a1f50460507325c94
 >>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
 >>Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
 >>
 >>through other connected services =E2=80=93 for example, through additions t=
 >>o tax
 >>--047d7b2e468a1f50460507325c94
 >>Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
 >>Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
 >>
 >>I agree in large part with this article although there is one part that rai=
 >>ses a yellow flag for me:<div><br></div><div>&quot;Another cost barrier is =
 >>the cost of billing. Some users do not have bank accounts or credit cards. =
 >>However, they will have social security numbers through which the cost of p=
 >>roviding them internet access can be paid off through other connected servi=
 >>ces =E2=80=93 for example, through additions to tax bills or deductions fro=
 >>m benefits.&quot;</div><div><br></div><div>One possible negative outcome of=
 >> this is that the disadvantaged end up paying with their privacy for access=
 >>.=C2=A0 We see this happening with many programmes to assist the poor that =
 >>can have the negative side-effect of disempowering them through finding the=
 >>ir way into databases that may trigger additional surveillance or more subt=
 >>le forms of discrimination.</div><div><br></div><div>Regards... Steve Song<=
 >>/div><div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu Nov 06 2014 at 09:02:33 Arj=
 >>una Sathiaseelan &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">ar=
 >>[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail=
 >>_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:=
 >>1ex">Jon Crowcroft&#39;s thoughts on how we could solve the affordability<b=
 >>r>
 >>problem as well as our GAIA:<br>
 >><a href=3D"https://theconversation.com/internet-services-use-public-money-t=
 >>o-help-everyone-benefit-33809" target=3D"_blank">https://theconversation.co=
 >>m/<u></u>internet-services-use-public-<u></u>money-to-help-everyone-<u></u>=
 >>benefit-33809</a><br>
 >><br>
 >>Regards<br>
 >>--<br>
 >>Arjuna Sathiaseelan | <a href=3D"http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/" target=
 >>=3D"_blank">http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~<u></u>as2330/</a><br>
 >><br>
 >>______________________________<u></u>_________________<br>
 >>gaia mailing list<br>
 >><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a><br>
 >><a href=3D"https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia" target=3D"_blank">https:=
 >>//irtf.org/mailman/<u></u>listinfo/gaia</a><br>
 >></blockquote></div></div>
 >>
 >>--047d7b2e468a1f50460507325c94--
 >>
 >>
 >>--===============0272221515371648849==
 >>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
 >>MIME-Version: 1.0
 >>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
 >>Content-Disposition: inline
 >>
 >>--===============0272221515371648849==--
 >>

 cheers

   jon