Subject: [gaia] Dagstuhl seminar on GAIA

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 12:11:26 +0000

All,

As some of you might have known earlier, we are organising a Dagstuhl
seminar on GAIA
(http://www.dagstuhl.de/en/program/calendar/semhp/?semnr=14471). These
seminars are considered prestigious. It was planned almost two years
ago where our proposal to host this topic went through a rigorous
review process. Unfortunately these seminars are similar to a retreat
where a group are put in a lonely castle in the middle of nowhere and
we discuss and socialise for 3-5 days! I tried to see if I can live
stream and enable remote participation - but this was turned down by
the Dagstuhl organisers.

The list of participants are here:
http://www.dagstuhl.de/program/calendar/partlist/?semnr=14471&SUOG

Our final agenda is here: http://www.dagstuhl.de/schedules/14471.pdf

Interestingly, we are going to spend a good couple of days working on
Jim Forster's proposed GAIA objective:

"to document the costs of existing Internet Access, the breakdown of
those costs (energy, manpower, licenses, bandwidth, infrastructure,
transit, peering), and outline a path to achieve a 10x reduction in
Internet Access costs especially in geographies and populations with
low penetration."

I am hoping we will be documenting the event and we will be able to
share this with GAIA. Slides can be made available too.

Regards
Arjuna

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/