Subject: [gaia] scavenger transport performance in subpacket regimes

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 08:02:19 +0100

so yesterday we had Michael Welzl talking about several ways we could
Less than best effort transport/QoS for GAIA

Michael and I have been discussing this for sometime now -

we had this paper on the Performance of LEDBAT in Subpacket regimes
where we were influenced by Jay Chen and Lakshmi's work on TCP
Performance in Subpacket Regimes..in many developing regions we have a
low capacity access network with many users using it simultaneously
and people upload user generated content over these highly
subscribed/multiplexed low capacity access networks..
http://www.intersys-lab.org/media/papers/2014/LEDBAT%20Performance%20in%20Sub-packet%20Regimes.pdf

our paper was a take on "what if" we use LBE transport methods (ledbat
here) for uploading content (pictures & videos). and our final take
was that's not the way to go about --Jay and others have this nice
Eurosys paper on different ways to
solve..https://cs.nyu.edu/~jchen/publications/eurosys14-chen.pdf

Dave Taht emailed us today and thinks we should have tried CoDel and
he has this nice post with some useful comments (if anyone is
interested)..

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/SHjZwtAXLoX

Would be interesting to see if CoDel could have been a good solution..

Regards

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/