Subject: [gaia] Data required on mobility + network

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 10:37:11 +0000

All

One of our PhD student in the lab is looking for data for the purposes
of studying effects of human movement and flash crowds on the network
infrastructure (in developed + developing regions). I am wondering if any of
you have or point us to any open data sets please.

On a similar note - I would also like to suggest that if we can get
some interesting network/mobility data from developing regions, it may
be a great idea to share this via the CRAWDAD considering that there
is not much data from the developing regions out there:
http://crawdad.org/map-contributors.html

Probably through GAIA we should try and see if we can collect and
share useful datasets to the rest of the community via CRAWDAD.

The sort of data we are currently looking for are:

A. human mobility data (collected from some sort of digital device):
1- device id,
2- coordinates (good estimates are fine),
3- timestamp per event,
4- consumed services (call, message, web),
5- metadata about service consumed (size, throughput available,
compression, time taken for receipt, etc.),
6- service attempt result (failed or passed),
7- communication pair (if there is direct one-to-one comm. involved),

B. access points data:
1- access point id,
2- coordinates (good estimates are fine, note that these could be same
as above, if so then no need for the above),
3- event subscriber (device id from above, to see who
requested/launched an event),
4- timestamp per event,
5- metadata about event (duration, downlink bytes received for this
request, uplink bytes transferred for this request, compression, time
taken for transfer, etc.),

C. network infrastructure data:
1- network area id (or whatever that identifies a central station for
a group of access points that report to this station),
2- timestamp (could be on a periodic basis - every minute, every 30 minutes),
3- connections (number of connections open at a given time),
4- uplink bytes transferred (sent bytes - serving the request),
5- downlink bytes transferred (received bytes - receiving the request),
6- service metadata (service name - could be multiple of course, or
may be the most popular services for this period),
7- number of devices connected this period,
8- congestion ratio (a number that denotes connected devices against
capacity, or may be consumed capacity vs. free capacity),

D. network installation data: installed capacity (theoretical or
practical downlink capacity, theoretical or practical uplink capacity,
theoretical or practical expected latency),

Thanks

Regards

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/

---

From: Matthias Waehlisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 11:48:27 +0100

Hi,

  we used the rich data from the Mobile Data Challenge 
http://research.nokia.com/page/12000. Data was given under special 
agreement but maybe the data are now more publicly available. I didn't 
check.

Cheers
  matthias

-- 
Matthias Waehlisch
.  Freie Universitaet Berlin, Inst. fuer Informatik, AG CST
.  Takustr. 9, D-14195 Berlin, Germany
.. mailto:[email-masked] .. http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~waehl
:. Also: http://inet.cpt.haw-hamburg.de .. http://www.link-lab.net