Subject: [gaia] Workshop on localised comms

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 13:58:54 +0100

sorry forgot to put the title..

All,
 I am currently at the Abdus Salam International Centre for
Theoretical Physics (ICTP) visiting Marco Zennaro and Ermanno
Pietrosemoli.

Marco and Ermanno have been taking me around their lab showing some of
their testbeds which include low cost TVWS client nodes that use
cognitive spectrum sensing rather than a geolocation database as rural
areas have enough spectrum (we have an ACM DEV poster together on
this: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/docs/dev204-zennaroA.pdf) as
well as Software Defined Radio boards (with OpenBTS capability) etc..

I am excited by the limitless opportunities provided by these
technologies and suggested to Marco, whether we could assemble a GAIA
demo based workshop (with tutorials) focussed on localised
communication platforms next summer to demonstrate these technologies
and educate the rest of the GAIA community. We could also tie in some
of Joerg Ott's liberouter work and if he is interested, we could have
an opportunistic router platform demo + tutorial too along with these.

Possibly a three day workshop and we could mobilise funds/grants from
different venues to support attendance from developing regions..

Would this be of any interest to GAIA?

Regards

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/