Subject: [gaia] Net neutrality and charging models

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 11:53:41 +0100

very good article from Norway's experience:
http://eng.npt.no/topical-issues/news/net-neutrality-and-charging-models

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/

---

From: Steve Song <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 15:19:01 -0400

Hi Arjuna,

Zero-rating per se is not a net-neutrality violation according to the
definition provided:

 "Internet users are entitled to an Internet connection that is free of
discrimination with regard to type of application, service or content or
based on sender or receiver address."

If organisations are permitted to zero-rate a service on a level-playing
field, that is to say anyone can pay to zero-rate a service without fear or
favour, then this is no more a net neutrality violation than a CDN is.
Similarly, if Facebook invests millions of dollars in optimising its mobile
application so that it consumes 50% of the bandwidth of similar
applications, is that a violation of net neutrality?  Few would claim so
yet the net effect is the same as zero-rating.

The problem with zero-rating is that it is often not being carried out in
either a fair or transparent manner.   I would not be very surprised if
many of the zero-rating deals being made by operators are exclusive ones
which preclude competitors to WhatsApp, Spotify, or whoever has made the
zero-rating deal from purchasing a similar deal.

Regards... Steve

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 6:53 AM, Arjuna Sathiaseelan <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>