Subject: [gaia] community wifi toolkit

From: Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 20:15:28 +0530

Can't remember if I asked this q already (apologies if I have, because
I dont remember the answer)

Talking to Airjaldi  in Himachal P, India to see what is the best way
to set up our own
community network, where they do not reach with their coverage,  In
addition to any info
they may be able to provide, I am looking around at whatever info I can find
off the shelf

Wondering, is there a toolkit already, to guide people where to buy bandwidth,
equipment, about the law, and the possible economic models etc?
(got the feeling I asked this already)

if not, would anyone be interested in starting one, on the wiki
perhaps, with some
localization (a list of possible sffiliates , suppliers, legislation
etc in each region)
I suppose we could find funding for this

PDM

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 17:59:22 +0000

Hello Paola,
  I suggest you contact Roger Baig from Guifi.net - who have the
necessary tools that can bootstrap community networks.

He will be able to help you.

I am thinking of organising a GAIA workshop specifically on this
subject next year (venue to be confirmed). Hopefully when I get the
GAIA website done , I will be able to put things together.

Regards

On 16 December 2014 at 14:45, Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/

---

From: Steve Song <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 16:33:41 -0400

Hi Paola,

>From a technical perspective there is always the excellent Wireless
Networking for the Developing World

http://wndw.net/

also check out

https://www.diyisp.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start

More recently we held a workshop recently that focused on enabling local
telecommunication networks more broadly which looked at regulation,
technology and business models.  More details at

https://decentralizethis.org/Go_Local!_Workshop

Regards... Steve Song

---

From: Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 17:12:54 +0530

Thanks Arjuna, Steve

Arjuna, I hope to be at the workshop :-)

can it be in Asia ? that's where we need it most although even rural
europe seems pretty desperate
cheers
PDM