Subject: [gaia] regulatory impact

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 10:06:36 +0000

All -

are there any articles/papers that have explored the role/impact of
regulatory changes on the improvement of broadband access in terms of both
affordability and availability? some pointers will be extremely useful -
thanks in advance.

Regards

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan
Personal: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/
N4D Lab: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/n4d

---

From: Jane Coffin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 13:02:52 +0000

Hi Arjuna -

Many papers are available on this topic.

For example - I would suggest going to the ITU's Broadband Commission web-site.
There are many case-studies and other data.

I am sure the US has some as there were grants made for Broadband roll-out and the FCC was also involved with NTIA in mapping.

Canada has a broadband map as well re affordability and ISPs and where they are.

And, the list goes on.

Let me know if you need a link to the ITU Broadband Commission.

Best,
Jane

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 5:06 AM
To: gaia <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: [gaia] regulatory impact

All -

are there any articles/papers that have explored the role/impact of regulatory changes on the improvement of broadband access in terms of both affordability and availability? some pointers will be extremely useful - thanks in advance.

Regards

---

From: Melissa Densmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:05:30 +0200

Scott Wallsten has done a lot of work on macro-level telecoms policy.  Most
of the stuff I've read personally is about effects of monopoly vs
privatization on proliferation of broadband, but there's stuff on net
neutrality, water, and other topics.

https://scholar.google.co.za/citations?user=L1GbQ0IAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 12:06 PM, Arjuna Sathiaseelan <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>
>

---

From: Carlos Rey-Moreno <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:29:25 +0200

Hi Arjuna,

In [1], they discuss about how creating a regulatory framework that
fostered the creation of telecommunications cooperatives in countries such
as Poland and Argentine led to a reduction in the rural digital divide.

Hope it helps,

carlos

[1] O'Siochru, S., Girard, B., 2005. Community-based Networks and
Innovative Technologies: New models to serve and empower the poor. United
Nations Development Program.

On 17 February 2015 at 15:05, Melissa Densmore <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> Scott Wallsten has done a lot of work on macro-level telecoms policy.
> Most of the stuff I've read personally is about effects of monopoly vs

-- 
Carlos Rey-Moreno
Research Assistant
Office 1.28
Department of Computer Science
University of the Western Cape
Private Bag X17 - Bellville, 7535
Cape Town - South Africa
Tel: +27 (0) 21 959 2562 Cel: +27 (0) 76 986 3633
Skype: carlos.reymoreno Twitter: Creym

---

From: Henning G Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 17:12:49 -0500

National regulatory agencies (as well as regional ones such as European
institutions) do a lot of different things, from writing rules to
auctioning/licensing spectrum to administering various funds. In addition
at least in the US, many of the rules that govern infrastructure deployment
are made by local regulators, or even, indirectly, by regulated electric
utilities. Almost all of these actions influence deployment and adoption,
so you are asking for the complete literature on telecom (non-broadcast)
regulatory policy, dating back a century... Not surprisingly, there are
whole textbooks on this topic.

In addition, there are vastly different perspectives in the published
literature, depending on the author's personal political philosophy and the
particular policy.

Just rephrase your question as "impact of *technology* changes on the
improvement of network access", and you get the drift...

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 05:33:32 +0000

thanks Jane, Melissa, Carlos and Henning for the pointers. They are indeed
useful.

Regards