Subject: [gaia] CFP ExtremeCom 2015 - The Savannah Expedition

From: Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 19:48:52 +0100

Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP.
The ExtremeCom conference series is now in its 7th year, and the scope of the conference fits very well with much of the work that is done within the GAIA research group.
Thus, we strongly encourage you to submit your results to the conference as it always provides a good venue for discussing your work and get good feedback and experience new environments. Hope to see you in Kenya in August!

Cheers,

/Anders and Ben

******************************************************************

CALL FOR PAPERS AND DEMOS

Extreme Conference on Communication and Computing - The Savannah Expedition
ExtremeCom 2015

3-7 August 2015, Kenya

http://www.extremecom.org/

******************************************************************

Scope
-----

The Extreme Conference on Communication and Computing (ExtremeCom) brings
together researchers and practitioners in areas related to communications in
rural, remote or other extreme environments, and computing in extreme
operating conditions such as extreme temperatures and energy constraints,
extreme quantities ("big data"), extremely large-scale systems, and extreme
levels of threat and uncertainty, in order to gain experience and insight into
the challenges that such environments pose for the network and the users.

We welcome a broad range of topics concerning both technical and economical
aspects, for example wireless communication, mobile computing, low power
devices and protocols, delay tolerant networks and other networking paradigms,
distributed computing paradigms, big data, distributed systems, cloud
computing, business and services models, user experiences and web
applications. Researches addressing computing challenges in general mobile
environments (even not completely extreme) are also welcomed by the
conference.

Following on from the success of ExtremeCom 2009 - The Midnight Sun Expedition
in Laponia, Sweden, ExtremeCom 2010 - The Himalayan Expedition in Dharamsala,
India, ExtremeCom 2011 - The Amazon Expedition in Manaus, Brazil, ExtremeCom
2012 - The Swiss Alps Winter Expedition in Zurich, Switzerland, ExtremeCom
2013 - The Volcanic Expedition in the Eyjafjallajökull Volcano region in
Iceland, and ExtremeCom 2015 - The Galapagos Expedition in Ecuador, we present
the ExtremeCom 2015 edition: The Savannah Expedition. The conference will
start with 3 days of excursions in the amazing nature of the Kenyan savannah.
Along the way, participants will get to see and experience the varying
landscape and its plant and animal life. Additionally, we will visit existing
deployments of networked systems in the area and learn from their experience.
The immersion will not only give a better idea of both the technical and user
requirements of such a harsh environment, but it will also give many
opportunities for informal research discussions between the participants.
Participants that have their own software for scenarios like this will also,
to as great an extent as possible, be encouraged to test and demonstrate it
within this environment. After the excursions, there will be two days of paper
presentations and demos. Focus will still be on informal research discussions,
with the hope that the field experience will give participants the ability to
discuss the topics in a new light.

******************************************************************

Important dates
---------------

Submission deadline: May 21, 2015

Notification of acceptance: June 7, 2015

Early registration deadline: July 1, 2015

Registration deadline: July 15, 2015

Conference dates: August 3-7, 2015 (tentative dates)

******************************************************************

Submission Guidelines
---------------------

Participants should submit 6 page papers about ideas and visions about the
topics of the conference or demo proposals to be shown during the conference.
Visionary and thought-provoking papers that are likely to generate much
discussion during the conference are especially solicited. The aim of the
conference is to maintain an informal environment, where new research ideas
can be discussed and developed. We also hope to have a demo session where
participants can show their implementations and systems. If you want to show a
demo, please submit a 2 page demo proposal using the same submission system as
for conference papers. Accepted papers will be published in the ACM Digital
Library. A selected set of top submissions will be fast-tracked to a special
issue in a reputed SCI/E journal.

We only accept PDF files, no greater than 6 pages in length (2 pages for the
demos), including text, figures and references. Manuscripts should use the ACM
templates (for LaTeX, please use Option 2 files), with 9pt fonts.

Topics for the conference include, but are not limited to:
----------------------------------------------------------

* Testbeds for large-scale sustainable testing of moobile communication systems
* Real deployments of networks in extreme environments
* Business and service models for networks in rural, remote, and other
  challenging environments
* Delay tolerant networking
* User experience research
* Big data research such as mining and modeling of mobility and social network
* Cloud computing for extreme scalability
* Mesh networks and sensor networks
* Low-power and intermittent-power protocols
* Mechanisms for emergency and urgent communications
* Distributed computing for mobile environments
* Networked applications and services
* Operating system and middleware support for mobile computing and networking
* Security, privacy, and trustworthiness of extreme communications
* Underwater networking
* Robotic communications and mobile augmented reality

Due to logistics, the number of participants will be limited. Priority will be
given to authors of papers and those who register first.

******************************************************************
Organizers
******************************************************************

General co-chairs:
------------------
Pan Hui, HKUST, Hong Kong
Anders Lindgren, SICS Swedish ICT, Sweden

Local organization:
-------------------
Paul Birkelo, BRCK 
Erik Hersman, BRCK 
Ken Banks, kiwanja.net 

Publicity and publication chair:
--------------------------------
Dimitris Chatzopoulos, HKUST, Hong Kong

Web chair:
----------
Fehmi Ben Abdesslem, SICS Swedish ICT, Sweden

Technical Program Committee:
----------------------------
Panayotis Antoniadis, ETH Zürich, Switzerland

Elwyn Davies, Folly Consulting, UK

Michael Doering, Bosch Research, Germany

Marco Fiore, CNR, Italy

Christine Julien, University of Texas at Austin, USA

James Kwok, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong

Franck Legendre, Uepaa AG, Switzerland

Jörg Ott, Aalto University, Finland

Zhonghong Ou, Aalto University, Finland

Arjuna Sathiaseelan, University of Cambridge, UK

Jan Seedorf, NEC Labs, Germany

Klaus Wehrle, RWTH Aachen University, Germany

Lars Wolf, TU Braunschweig, Germany

Pei Zhang, Carnegie Mellon University, USA

Steering Committee:
-------------------
Jon Crowcroft, University of Cambridge, UK
Avri Doria, USA
Tristan Henderson, University of St. Andrews, UK
Pan Hui, HKUST, Hong Kong
Anders Lindgren, SICS Swedish ICT, Sweden