Subject: [gaia] MANET working group re-chartering discussion

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 14:36:23 -0000

Hi,

The IETF's MANET working group is responsible for the development of protocols
to enable ad hoc networks. Amongst the protocols they look after is OLSR.

The working group is coming to the end of its chartered work and is looking at
things it might do next. They have a long list of candidates that they are
discussing on their list [email-masked]  On the list is:

> Interaction with GAIA (IRTF)

Although this is quite vague, it is an opportunity for GAIA to insert real
protocol work items to improve the availability of Internet access in a number
of environments that are relevant to both MANET and GAIA. Please think about
what you have discovered is useful and what you have been experimenting with,
and insert these topics into the MANET discussion.

The easiest way is to subscribe to the MANET list and just say what you think.
The second option is to use me, the WG chairs, and the responsible AD to proxy
for you.
Just discussing this on the GAIA list may be a good way for you to come to some
conclusions about what work you'd like to see, but will not of itself cause the
protocol work to be done.

Cheers,
Adrian

---

From: Javier Simó <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 16:14:40 +0100

I would appreciate very much that the folks working in community 
networks activate themselves in this topic! Since I did some tests with 
OLSR-ETX 10 years ago I haven't dedicated much work to this kind of 
protocols but I have followed in the distance what some do with 
Batman-adv, other with BMX6... I guess that we have the opportunity to 
have more people thinking with us in our problems, in our scenarios.

However, most of our scenarios are not mobile. MANET means Mobile Ad-hoc 
NETworks, and our solutions have to be tailored for our scenarios. 
Static ad-hoc networks are interesting, DTN are interesting, I am not 
sure about mobile. What do you think?

El 26/03/15 a las 15:36, Adrian Farrel escribió:
> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
> .
>

-- 

---------------------------------------------------
Fco. Javier Simó Reigadas <[email-masked]>
Subdirector de Ord. Docente
ETS de Ingeniería de Telecomunicación
D-204, Departamental III
Camino Del Molino, s/n - 28943 Fuenlabrada (Madrid)
Tel: 914888428, Fax: 914887500
Web personal: http://www.tsc.urjc.es/~javier.simo

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 17:47:06 +0000

There's quite a lot of momentum within GAIA in the area of decentralised
networks e.g.community networks, diy networks including opportunistic..

So i think there will be interest within GAIA to explore this with MANET..
On 26 Mar 2015 15:15, "Javier Simó" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I would appreciate very much that the folks working in community networks
> activate themselves in this topic! Since I did some tests with OLSR-ETX 10
> years ago I haven't dedicated much work to this kind of protocols but I
> have followed in the distance what some do with Batman-adv, other with
> BMX6... I guess that we have the opportunity to have more people thinking
> with us in our problems, in our scenarios.
>
> NETworks, and our solutions have to be tailored for our scenarios. Static
> ad-hoc networks are interesting, DTN are interesting, I am not sure about
> mobile. What do you think?
>
>

---

From: Steve Song <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 14:50:05 -0300

Hi,

Village Telco has been using the batman-adv mesh protocol for the last five
years or so and we're very happy with it.  While it is a little bit of a
mind-shift to think of mesh networking at layer 2, we really appreciate the
benefits which are a zero-configuration, NAT-less wireless mesh that can be
set up out of the box and plugged into any upstream Internet connection the
same way that you might plug in a switch.  I am not suggesting that
batman-adv is inherently better than OLSR, BMX6 or others, it just happens
to work very well for our needs.

Regards... Steve

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 17:55:53 -0000

Javier,

The M in MANET is certainly for mobile. But the mobility is not necessary (or
maybe "zero" is a special case of "some" :-)

In practice, mobility is a special case of link variation and the protocols are
designed for link variation. Thus, "ad hoc".

Adrian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: gaia [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Javier Simó
> Sent: 26 March 2015 15:15
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [gaia] MANET working group re-chartering discussion
>

---

From: Kevin Fall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 19:10:34 -0400

Note that the DTN work has spawned an IETF Working Group from the research
group. (https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dtn)
The WG has elected, for now at least, to not pursue standardization of
dynamic routing protocols.
I could imagine a world where MANET looked to help adapt what they have
standardized to date for an RFC5050-bis type of environment..

- Kevin

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > > The working group is coming to the end of its chartered work and is
> looking
> at
> > > The second option is to use me, the WG chairs, and the responsible AD
> to
> proxy
> > > for you.
> > > Just discussing this on the GAIA list may be a good way for you to
> come to
> some
> > > conclusions about what work you'd like to see, but will not of itself
> cause
> the