Subject: [gaia] global vs local wifi access

From: Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 21:23:30 +0530

Googel is trying to get people online
http://www.sfgate.com/business/technology/article/Google-to-offer-own-cellular-network-plan-6109906.php

good news or bad news?

Wonder if there have been discussion weighting the impact of large
global players on  local community wifi initiatives (will the
competition from the big ones make things harder or easier ?)

PDM

---

From: Steve Song <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 15:56:41 -0400

In general this is a good thing.  Anything that undermines the comfortable
oligopoly that mobile network operators enjoy through various the various
bottlenecks they control from spectrum licenses, to sim cards, to national
dialplans, is generally a good thing.  It is, of course, quite possible to
have too much of a good thing but we are a long way from that at the
moment.  This is only in the US at the moment so not yet relevant to
emerging markets.  I don't see this as having any impact at all on
community wireless in the near future.

Cheers... Steve

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>