Subject: [gaia] IEEE Communications Magazine Special Issue for GAIA

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 08:41:42 +0100

All
  We have just got the proposal for an IEEE Comms magazine special issue
for GAIA accepted - so we will be sending out the CfP very soon. Deadline
for submission would be end of December (tbf). Hoping to get some great
papers from this group.

Regards

---

From: Junaid Qadir <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 06:55:42 +0500

Hi All!

I’m writing to follow up on Arjuna’s announcement and to share more details
about the feature topic in the IEEE Communications Magazine. This feature
topic is titled “Wireless Technologies for Development (W4D)”.

Generally speaking, we are interested in all applications of wireless
technologies for development. Topics of interest include:

• “Global access to the Internet for all” (GAIA) using wireless technologies

• Do-it-yourself (DIY) wireless networking (such as community wireless
networks) for the developing world

• Cost-efficient wireless networked systems appropriate for use in
underdeveloped areas

• Fault-tolerant resilient wireless networking technologies for the
developing world

• Rural/remote area wireless solutions (that can work efficiently with
resource constraints such as intermittent and unreliable access to power/
networking service)

• Simplified network management techniques (including support for
heterogeneous service delivery through multiple solutions)

• Using cognitive radio technology and 5G standards (with possible native
integration of satellites) for GAIA

• Techno-economic issues related to W4D (including development of flexible
pricing and incentive structures as well as new spectrum access models for
wireless)

• Techno-political and cultural issues related to using wireless
communications for development

• Using emerging networking architectures and future Internet architectures
[e.g., cloud computing, fog computing, network functions virtualization
(NFV), information centric networking (ICN), software defined networking
(SDN), and delay tolerant networking (DTN)] with wireless technologies for
development.

• Using wireless access/ distribution technologies (such as the following)
for development: TV white spaces (TVWS); satellite communications using
advances in geostationary orbit  (GEO) and low-earth orbit (LEO)
satellites; low-cost community networks; cellular technologies (such as
CDMA 450, the open-source OpenBTS, etc.); wireless mesh and sensor
networks; Wi-Fi-Based Long-distance (WiLD) networks; and wireless based
wireless regional access networks (WRANs).

The CFP for our feature topic is available on IEEE Communications Magazine
website at
http://www.comsoc.org/commag/cfp/wireless-technologies-development-w4d. The
submission deadline is December 1st, 2015.

Regards,

Junaid Qadir

Guest Editor, W4D FT

*Allahumma salli `ala Muhammadin wa `ala alli Muhammadin kama hua
ahluhuJazallahu `anna Muhammadin maa hua ahluhu*

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Arjuna Sathiaseelan <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>
>