Subject: [gaia] Fwd: [TIER] The CFP for ACM DEV 2015 is out!

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 09:04:35 +0100

All - please spread the word..

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lakshminarayanan Subramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 May 2015 at 14:45
Subject: [TIER] The CFP for ACM DEV 2015 is out!
To: [email-masked], [email-masked],
[email-masked]

Hi all,

The Call for Papers for ACM DEV 2015 is out and is also attached.

As a new thing this year, there will be multiple submission tracks
that focus on different aspects of computing for development:
a. Systems Track
b. HCI Track
c. Data Science Track
d. General track
e. Short papers track

Check out:
http://acmdev.org

Submission Deadline: July 15, 2015.

Do consider submitting and definitely spread the word. We would like
to broaden the scope of ACM DEV to attract a larger and broader array
of audience.

cheers
lakshmi

Call for Papers

DEV 2015 provides an international forum for research in the design,
implementation, and evaluation of information and communication
technologies (ICTs) for social and economic development. In
particular, we focus on contexts where conventional computing
solutions are often inappropriate due to various contextual factors -
including, but not limited to: cost, language, literacy, and the
availability of power and bandwidth.

The topic of ICT for development is inherently multidisciplinary, and
encompasses a broad array of fields within the computer science
discipline. The ACM DEV conference is an opportunity for researchers
across these diverse fields of computer science to come together to
work on the common problem of improving access to and availability of
information and communication technology solutions. In an effort to
encourage participation of researchers across the relevant domains,
this year the DEV conference introduces submissions “tracks”. The
focus of the conference is research at the interface of computer
science and development related to (but not limited to) the following
three non-exclusive focus areas:

Systems
HCI and Applications
Data Science

We are committed to accepting papers of the very highest quality on
the interface between computer science and development. Authors can
designate a paper for one or two of these focus areas. Each area has
dedicated Program Committee (PC) members to allow appropriate review
of papers. Papers will be automatically referred to another track or
reviewed by PC members from different tracks where appropriate. The
conference itself will have sessions grouped by topic rather than by
area. Example topics within focus areas include:

Systems Track

Low-cost connectivity and computing devices
Network solutions for poorly connected regions, including white space
spectrum
Power-efficient systems
Mobile systems and applications
Special-purpose systems, e.g., sensors, wireless, IVR
Systems challenges and opportunities in development, e.g., security,
sustainability, resilience
Cellular phone systems and applications
Novel tools and applications for development
Measurements of existing technology in developing regions (e.g.
network deployments)

HCI Track

User interfaces for low-literacy populations
Multi-lingual computing
User interfaces for low-cost devices
Participatory methods and user-centered design
Accessibility to disabled populations in developing regions
Design and evaluation of applications in health, microfinance,
education, agriculture, entertainment, social media
Adapting content and applications to local languages and education levels
Understanding social relationships and information flows in
disadvantaged societies

Data Science Track

Computational sustainability
Computational social science
Econometric models and developmental economics
Data science for social good
Machine learning techniques for large-scale data analysis in
development contexts
Speech interfaces and translation for low-resource languages
Computer vision challenges and opportunities in development
Understanding social networks and digital media in developing regions

General Track

We welcome papers outside of the above topics that address the DEV
focus on computing innovations supporting social and economic
development.

Papers should describe original and previously unpublished research.
Three metrics will be applied to judge the submissions: (a) Relevance
of the problem for development; (b) Novelty of the ideas; (c)
Evaluation of the solution, making a case for development-focused
impact. All DEV paper submissions should either provide or directly
motivate a novel technical solution that has direct implications for
development.

Full papers must not exceed 9 pages and all submissions must be in ACM
format, submitted as a PDF. Submissions should be fully anonymized. In
particular, the names or affiliations of authors should not be
included so as to allow for blind review. Papers should be submitted
via the submission site. As part of the submission process, please
indicate one or more tracks for which your submission is best suited.

Short Papers on Practical Experiences

This year ACM DEV introduces a “short paper” submissions track to
target practical field and/or deployment experience, as well as
updates or follow-ups to previously published work. Short papers
should be 2 pages in length, and should convey work or conclusions
that are a direct result of field experience. Papers accepted into the
short paper track will be presented in the conference, but will not
appear in the conference proceedings. It is hoped that these papers
will foster sharing of best practices and/or lessons learned as well
as serve as interesting points for discussion during the conference.
We particularly encourage submissions from practitioners, NGOs, and
others with field experience. Note that these short papers are not
posters, but are presentations.

Important Dates

All times noted are per Pacific Standard Time (PST). Please be sure to
translate to your local time accordingly.

Paper Submission Deadline: July 15 11:59pm, 2015
Acceptance Notification: September 15, 2015
Conference Program: November 30, 2015

_______________________________________________
TIER mailing list
Website: http://tier.cs.berkeley.edu
[email-masked]
https://www.millennium.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tier

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan
Personal: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/
N4D Lab: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/n4d