Subject: [gaia] update on Google balloons

From: Eric Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 10:22:19 -0700

I have permission to share this update from Google.

Key point to me is that the balloons now are LTE cell towers that float by
and represent an existing carrier.

-Eric

---

From: Aaditeshwar Seth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 23:17:40 +0530

Thanks Eric. Why the choice of LTE though? Most low cost phones in the
developing regions only support 2G, even 3G is available on somewhat
mid-range phones as of now.

Aadi

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 10:52 PM, Eric Brewer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>
>

---

From: Eric Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 09:07:05 -0700

I believe (but do not speak for Google on this) that it just because of the
bandwidth and also the delay in widespread deployment (aim for where things
are going).

Also, don't forget that LTE dongles will enable WiFI hotspots at very low
cost, which could be used for schools, businesses, etc.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 10:47 AM, Aaditeshwar Seth <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>> Key point to me is that the balloons now are LTE cell towers that float
>> by and represent an existing carrier.
>>
>> -Eric
>>
>>