Subject: [gaia] First 3G call from a village in the Amazon forest?

From: Javier Simó <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 10:09:23 +0200

Hello all

We are happy in the TUCAN3G project today, and I want to share this with 
you.

Yesterday in Brussels, in a Technical Review of our project in the 
European Commission, we tested our "low-cost" 3G network that connects 
some villages in the Amazon forest in a pilot that illustrates the 
project's results. We had a first 3G phone call to a person in Varadero, 
a village by the Paranapura river (Amazon forest, Peru), and then a 
successful skype video session with a nomadic phone in the village.

The system is composed by a MPLS wireless multi-hop backhaul built up 
with Mikrotik WiFi routers and low-cost 3G outdoor IPaccess femtocells. 
The carrier is Telefonica, with the traffic being encapsulated in IPSec 
tunnels accross the rural part to Yurimaguas, where the tunnels continue 
through Telefonica's core network.

The rural backhaul network does not belong to the operator. It was 
deployed by IEEE HTC and a local University (PUCP) for use by the rural 
health facilities and is partially driven by the local government and 
partly by the communities. They share the bandwidth with the operator 
for the backhaul. The network will be fully operational for the people 
in a few days.

More info about our model can be found in:

http://authors.elsevier.com/sd/article/S1389128615003163

Best

-- 

---------------------------------------------------
Fco. Javier Simó Reigadas <[email-masked]>
Subdirector de Ord. Docente
ETS de Ingeniería de Telecomunicación
D-204, Departamental III
Camino Del Molino, s/n - 28943 Fuenlabrada (Madrid)
Tel: 914888428, Fax: 914887500
Web personal: http://www.tsc.urjc.es/~javier.simo

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 09:27:14 +0100

interesting post from rhizomatica
http://rhizomatica.org/2015/09/29/why-sites-go-down/

arjuna
On 30 Sep 2015 09:10, "Javier Simó" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> European Commission, we tested our "low-cost" 3G network that connects some
> villages in the Amazon forest in a pilot that illustrates the project's
> results. We had a first 3G phone call to a person in Varadero, a village by
> the Paranapura river (Amazon forest, Peru), and then a successful skype
> video session with a nomadic phone in the village.
>
> The system is composed by a MPLS wireless multi-hop backhaul built up with
> Mikrotik WiFi routers and low-cost 3G outdoor IPaccess femtocells. The
> carrier is Telefonica, with the traffic being encapsulated in IPSec tunnels
> accross the rural part to Yurimaguas, where the tunnels continue through
> Telefonica's core network.
>
> partly by the communities. They share the bandwidth with the operator for
> the backhaul. The network will be fully operational for the people in a few
> days.
>
> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 11:58:55 +0000 (UTC)

Great work!
Very happy for your success. Thanks,
Nalini ElkinsInside Products, Inc.www.insidethestack.com(831) 659-8360
      From: Javier Simó <[email-masked]>
 To: [email-masked] 
 Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 1:09 AM
 Subject: [gaia] First 3G call from a village in the Amazon forest?
   
Hello all

Best

--