Subject: [gaia] disaster networks

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 12:49:36 +0000

I wrote a blog entry about this topic - some pointers in there may be useful (or not) - not much about the
internet, but background to what gives during and after disasters.
TL;DR "we're the government, and we're here to help" is worse than you thought.
http://paravirtualization.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/disasters-bring-out-best-and-worst-in.html

---

From: Javier Simó <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 11:24:38 +0100

I feel very much like you Jon.

I would add a comment on the response to disasters. In every single big 
disaster there are thousands of deaths that would have been avoided with 
a better coordination (that is, with better communications and 
information services). Haiti was paradigmatic in this sense after the 
earthquake in 2011. Then, authorities realize that we are not ready and 
search for solutions... for some weeks. Then they forget. In 2011 we 
were asked by the government to present a project for developing a real 
good solution of communications for emergencies and disasters, but then 
they did not accepted to fund the project because "it was more 
innovation than research". And yes, it was. There are technologies and 
research results, but we need one step more: when the disaster comes at 
the international level, we need appropriate solutions to be there 
already and everyone knowing how to use them. But there is no political 
interest to fund that, at least in my country, not sure in the EC or in 
other R&D agencies.

El 20/12/15 a las 13:49, Jon Crowcroft escribió:
> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
> .
>

-- 

---------------------------------------------------
Fco. Javier Simó Reigadas <[email-masked]>
Subdirector de Ord. Docente
ETS de Ingeniería de Telecomunicación
D-204, Departamental III
Camino Del Molino, s/n - 28943 Fuenlabrada (Madrid)
Tel: 914888428, Fax: 914887500
Web personal: http://www.tsc.urjc.es/~javier.simo