Subject: [gaia] I-D Action: draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 02:41:12 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Global Access to the Internet for All Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Alternative Network Deployments: Taxonomy, characterization, technologies and architectures
        Authors         : Jose Saldana
                          Andres Arcia-Moret
                          Bart Braem
                          Ermanno Pietrosemoli
                          Arjuna Sathiaseelan
                          Marco Zennaro
	Filename        : draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments-03.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2016-01-14

Abstract:
   This document presents a taxonomy of "Alternative Network
   Deployments", and a set of definitions and shared properties.  It
   also surveys the technologies employed in these networks, and their
   differing architectural characteristics.

   The term "Alternative Network Deployments" includes a set of network
   access models that have emerged in the last decade.  These networks
   aim to bring Internet connectivity to people, using topological,
   architectural and business models different from the so-called
   "traditional" ones, where a company deploys or leases the network
   infrastructure for connecting the users, who pay a subscription fee
   to be connected and make use of it.

   Several initiatives throughout the world have built large scale
   Alternative Networks, using predominantly wireless technologies
   (including long distance) due to the reduced cost of using unlicensed
   spectrum.  Wired technologies such as fiber are also used in some of
   these alternate networks.

   The emergence of these networks has been motivated by a variety of
   factors such as the reluctance of network operators to provide wired
   and cellular infrastructures to rural/remote areas.  In these cases,
   the networks have self-sustaining business models that provide more
   localized communication services as well as Internet backhaul support
   through peering agreements with traditional network operators.  In
   other cases, networks are built as a complement to commercial
   Internet access provided by "traditional" network operators.

   The present classification considers extant network models such as
   Community Networks, which are self-organized and decentralized
   networks wholly owned by the community; networks owned by individuals
   who act as Wireless Internet Service Providers (WISPs); networks
   owned by individuals but leased out to network operators who use them
   as a low-cost medium to reach the underserved population, and finally
   there are networks that provide connectivity by sharing wireless
   resources of the users.

   Different criteria are used in order to build a classification e.g.,
   the ownership of the equipment, the way the network is organized, the
   participatory model, the extensibility, if they are driven by a
   community, a company or a local stakeholder (public or private), etc.

   According to the developed taxonomy, a characterization of each kind
   of network is presented in terms of specific network characteristics
   related to architecture, organization, etc.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/