Subject: [gaia] research vs business questions, the integral approach

From: Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 12:41:51 +0600

Happy New Year Everyone at IRTF!!

I think I have seen threads on this list, discussing the complex socio
technical relations between policy, business and internet technology.

I am  posting a note on a case study I am plannig to write up,  hoping
that someone can help me to understand what is happening.

My organisation, ISTCS.org, has been operating collaboratively with
individual researchers and institutions in different countries for
some years. One the one hand we do advanced systems research (socio
technical systems , modelling,, brain computer interfaces etc) and
some paid work when it comes up, on the other hand we run community
ICT programmes, generally workshops, facilitiating learning, reusing
computers etc. on a totally pro bono basis.

The work that requires a stable connection is generally done in
developed countries or cities, other work in very rural and remote
areas. where unfortunately the internet infrastructure is often not
up.

Two years ago approximately not sure how, we were invited to join
IRTF/Gaia as its members initiatives could synergise with our efforts,
in particular the setting up the wifi

Via this list  I was connected with Jim and MIckey of Airjaldi who
serve one of the regions we work in.

Now while we are still waiting for a viable broadband provision in
some of our project locations (because they are not served by the
providers), in some others it looks like Airjaldi has started putting
up network, although the Jaldihotspot icon comes up in the network in
range, nobody afaik is able to use it yet.

Are these reasons technical, or business reasons, I do not know,

Advancing the provision of rural bandwidth in our region (so that we can
start the research programme) is part of the mission.

I have funding to purchase any necessary extra equipment tp improve
the current technical capability, or extend the range (currently
network not only appears not to work b ut is also available only in a
small spot) to set up legal entities, and collaborate with number of
private enterprises who could act as partners, NGOs, institutions etc.
to work with as required

I have not yet fleshed out the research questions as such, but from an
integral research perspective, the fact that the main provider in the
region is not responding to emails and offers of purchasing equipment
if necessary - ,for me is a research issue

When I go to foundations such as DEF (Digital Empowerment Foundation)
for advice, they say that I should talk to Airjaldi, but Airjaldi
doesnt talk to me, and does not tell me why they dont talk to me.

Is anyone else working on similar research, or facing similar seemingly
problems?  Would this come under denial of service?

I simply do not understand what is going on

Thanks for any help in framing this issue

PDM

---

From: Yahel Ben-David <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 15:22:13 -0800

Hi Paula,

I fail to understand what you ask, or what's the research question you wish
to explore?
It does feel like you might be asking this community of researchers -- "why
does AirJaldi not answering me?"
On that front, I could only say that I know the AirJaldi team quite well
and it's quite extreme that theydon't answer someone - I can only guess why
that might be.

Thanks,

Yahel.

Yahel Ben-David, Ph.D.
*De Novo Group - E**xecutive Director*

*Bridging the gap between research and impact.*
[email-masked]

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 10:41 PM, Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>

---

From: Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 10:19:22 +0600

Paul, Yahel

Thanks for replies.

Not sure about internet.org, but surely  aquisitions would be announced?

The initial issue was that people advised me to go to AJ as they were
devoted to community broadband, but then both Jim and Mickely clarified
that they are now only operating as a commercial company, however their
mission is pretty much to bring
internet to rural areas, just for profit rather than not for profit.
I have no problem either way.
The other issue was that at the time when I fired the request(s) the
network was not yet up to reach out my location, due to limited  capability
to expand - but I made it clear that I am making available extra capability
as required as part of my reserach
(buy an extra dish or something)
a few things seem have changed since as two more locations have been added.
However
although an AJ network is up in the location I am at at the moment, it
doesnt work yet, and the reseller cannot explain why, so I asked AJ. But no
reply.

> ,
>
> I fail to understand what you ask, or what's the research question you
> wish to explore?
>

I have not yet pinned it out yet,  hence the q to this forum

> does AirJaldi not answering me?"On that front, I could only say that I know
> the AirJaldi team quite well and it's quite extreme that theydon't answer
> someone - I can only guess why that might be.
>
>
No, I am asking this community of research:

Has anyone else experienced a network provider a) no explaining why the
network does not deliver the service and b) if the answer is 'because we do
not yet have enough technical or equipment capability (which is my guess)
not want to partner
with an affiliated organisation who can help to build this capability
through their programme (this is one of the projects I work on)

I prefer not to guess as what the motives are for service/communication
failure and since I know the AJ team well also personally, via this list
and through meetings for the purpose, I cannot possibly figure out what is
going on.

But since you are /were AJ founder/ shareholder,  perhaps you have a better
idea?
Care to share insights?

Thanks

PDM