Subject: [gaia] U.S. Leads Global Effort to Bring 1.5 Billion People Online by 2020

From: Marco Zennaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 14:11:29 +0200

>From IEEE Spectrum:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/telecom/internet/us-leads-global-effort-to-bring-15-billion-people-online-by-2020

Best,
Marco

Marco Zennaro, PhD // Research Officer // T/ICT4D Lab // ICTP // wireless.ictp.it

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 08:17:30 -0400

This article illustrates the need to keep scale in mind - it's great to
talk about networks that serve a few thousand people, but unless there's a
realistic model (technical, organizational, economic) where they can scale
up to a significant part of the unserved population of a country, these
should be put into proper perspective. (This holds for commercial efforts
as well: The balance may tip soon, but there are probably more articles
about Google Fiber than Google Fiber customers.)

Henning

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 8:11 AM, Marco Zennaro <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>
>