Subject: Re: [gaia] draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Nicolas review, question #3: IP addressing

From: "Jose Saldana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 15:55:52 +0200

Hi, Nicolás,

> # Regarding section 7.1.1 on IP addressing
> 
> "Most known Alternative Networks started in or around the year 2000.
> IPv6 was fully specified by then, but almost all Alternative Networks
still use IPv4. A
> survey [Avonts] indicated that IPv6 rollout presents a challenge to
Community
> Networks."
> 
> It would be interesting to detail here the experiences that have evolved
during the
> past years in different community networks which are already deploying
IPv6.[1] In
> our case, we were the first group of networks in the region to provide
public IPv6 to
> end users[2], which we put in effect on the IPv6 World Launch day in 2012.
> The Avonts survey cited is from 2013 and most IPv6 adoption around the
world
> (which is still slow) has come later than that:
> https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

I would leave the experiences for the "deployment experiences" draft.

However, I think we can add some text stating that some ANs have adopted
IPv6: What about this? Feel free to suggest your improvements to the text;

7.1.1.  IP addressing

   Most Community Networks use private IPv4 address ranges, as defined
   by [RFC1918].  The motivation for this was the lower cost and the
   simplified IP allocation because of the large available address
   ranges.

   Most known Alternative Networks started in or around the year 2000.
   IPv6 was fully specified by then, but almost all Alternative Networks
   still use IPv4.  A survey [Avonts] indicated that IPv6 rollout
   presented a challenge to Community Networks.  However, some of them
   have already adopted it as e.g. ninux.org.

Thanks,

Jose