Subject: Re: [gaia] draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Nicolas review #1. Latin American experiences

From: "Jose Saldana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 15:54:08 +0200

Hi,

I will try to dissect the different questions into different threads. This
one is about the first comment:

> Hi everyone,
> 
> We've been very busy in Argentina regarding the negative impact the change
in
> government has had on many state policies that had to do with digital
inclusion and
> I'm just now being able to look at stuff that piled up during the past
months.
> 
> Commenting on this draft was one of those things I wanted to do so here it
goes.
> 
> I'm referring to this version:
>
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments-
04
> 
> Hope it's the most current one.

Yes, it is.

> 
> 
> First of all I want to point out that when I refer to "our model" or "our
experience" I'm
> referring to these networks:
> 
> http://libremap.net/#bbox/-41.869560826994544,-82.529296875,-
> 21.779905342529634,-40.5615234375
> 
> ... which are based on AlterMundi's community network model, based mainly
on
> Libre-Mesh firmware which we co-develop: http://libre-mesh.org/
> 
> and a basic hardware/antenna reference that we recommend after some years
of
> experience deploying community networks in small towns and rural areas in
Latin
> America (mostly Argentina):
> http://youtu.be/luI5eEMa6BQ
>
https://www.newamerica.org/oti/do-it-yourself-antennas-for-community-network
s/
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3LyuF2qSSY
> 
> 
> I just mention this info for context because I've found no reference to
Latin
> American experiences in the document and maybe our approach to this matter
has
> some peculiarities worth mentioning.

I would like to say that this draft is not about deployment experiences.
There are plans for building such document in the future, but the current
draft is just a classification.
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/gaia/current/msg00916.html

By the way, we need volunteers for this draft. But perhaps we should first
finish the other one...

> 
> 
> Please know I'm not trying to be disrespectful with the work being done, I
consider it
> to be important. I just want to give you our point of view and my personal
> impressions as a Community Networks activist from Latin America that
started in
> the "old days" (2003) and saw quite a bit of the evolution our projects
experimented
> during all these years.

Don't worry a bit. Thanks a lot for your comments.

Jose