Subject: Re: [gaia] Review required: draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Aldebaro's suggestion #3

From: Aldebaro Klautau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 11:44:19 -0300

Dear all,

First I would like to thank the editor for the careful handling of
our

suggestions. I tried to expand below the discussion on 3GPP
technologies

usage in alternative networks, and provide links to relevant
pointers.

Best regards,

Aldebaro

Current version:

6.2.1.2.  GSM

GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications), from ETSI, has
also

been used in Alternative Networks as a Layer 2 option, as
explained

in [Mexican], [Village], [Heimerl].

Suggestion:

6.2.1.2.  GSM

GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications), from ETSI, has
also

been used in Alternative Networks as a Layer 2 option, as
explained

in [Mexican], [Village], [Heimerl]. Open source GSM code such as

[OpenBTS] and [OpenBSC] created an ecosystem with the
participation

of several companies [Range], [Endaga], [YateBTS] and deployments

of voice, SMS and Internet services over alternative networks
with

an IP-based backhaul, for example. Internet navigation is
restricted

by relatively low bit rates [Osmocom].

Benefiting from the evolution of 3rd Generation Partnership
Project

(3GPP) standards, a clear trend is the integration of 4G
[IEEE-SDR],

[YateBTS] or 5G [OpenAir] functionalities, with significant
increase

of achievable bit rates.

Depending on factors such as the allocated frequency band, the

adoption of licensed spectrum can have advantages over the

eventually higher frequencies used for WiFi, with respect to
signal

propagation and, consequently, coverage. Other factors favorable

to 3GPP technologies, especially GSM, are the low cost and energy

consumption of handsets, which facilitate the digital inclusion
of

very low-income communities that cannot afford WiFi-enabled

smartphones or face difficulties for charging them.

[OpenBTS] http://openbts.org/

[OpenBSC] http://openbsc.osmocom.org/trac/

[Range] http://www.rangenetworks.com/

[Endaga]
http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/endaga-raises-12m-help-it-bring-cellular-remote-villages/2014-12-03

[YateBTS] http://yatebts.com/

[Osmocom]
http://osmocom.org/projects/osmopcu/wiki/GPRS_bitrates/2

[IEEE-SDR] Software-Defined Radio Will Let Communities Build
Their

Own 4G Networks, IEEE Spectrum 2015. Available at

http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/wireless/softwaredefined-radio-will-let-communities-build-their-own-4g-networks

[OpenAir] http://www.openairinterface.org/

On 28/03/2016 08:18, Jose Saldana
wrote:

Suggestion
#3

Current version:

GSM (Global System for Mobile
Communications), from ETSI, has also

been used in Alternative Networks as a Layer
2 option, as explained

in [Mexican], [Village], [Heimerl].

Opinion:

Item 6.2.1.2 could be expanded to include
other 3GPP technologies,

such as 3G, 4G/LTE [IEEE-SDR] and 5G
[OpenAir], mentioning systems

such as [OpenBTS], [OpenBSC] and [YateBTS].
If this is reasonable,

I could try to expand it.

[IEEE-SDR] Software-Defined Radio Will Let
Communities Build Their

Own 4G Networks, IEEE Spectrum 2015.
Available at

http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/wireless/softwaredefined-radio-will-let-communities-build-their-own-4g-networks

[OpenBTS] http://openbts.org/

[OpenBSC] http://openbsc.osmocom.org/trac/

[YateBTS]
http://yatebts.com/

[OpenAir] http://www.openairinterface.org/

[JS] I think we must be as inclusive as
possible. However, we have to report only those technologies
that are being used in real “Alternative networks”. Those
ideas that are only in a first research stage can be
reported, but only as “recent efforts” or “future
possibilities”.

If you could expand the text, including these
references, and stating the current status of each of them,
we can discuss it with the people in the list.

Thanks,

Jose

De:
gaia [mailto:[email-masked]] En nombre de Aldebaro
Klautau

Enviado el: viernes, 11 de marzo de 2016 11:20

Para: [email-masked]

Asunto: Re: [gaia] Review required:
draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments

Hello,

I have recently joined the GAIA group and found

draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments-03.txt very

interesting. I am not sure if this is the proper way of
contributing,

but I am sending attached some suggestions.

PS: Our university (UFPA) has partnership with Brazilian

institutions to provide telephony services and Internet via
GPRS to

underserved (and very poor) communities in the Amazon
forest. We are

then biased towards using GSM due e.g. to the low cost of
the handsets.

Regards,

Aldebaro

--

==========================

Aldebaro Klautau

www.laps.ufpa.br - www.lasse.ufpa.br

Phone: +55 (91) 3201-7674

Address:

UFPA - PPGEE - LaPS - CP: 8619

66075.110 - Belem - Para - Brazil

---

From: "Jose Saldana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 16:47:53 +0200

Thanks a lot! We will try to integrate your suggestions in the next version
(to appear soon).

Jose

De: Aldebaro Klautau [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Enviado el: jueves, 7 de abril de 2016 16:44
Para: Jose Saldana <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Asunto: Re: [gaia] Review required:
draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Aldebaro's suggestion #3

Dear all,

First I would like to thank the editor for the careful handling of our
suggestions. I tried to expand below the discussion on 3GPP technologies
usage in alternative networks, and provide links to relevant pointers.

Best regards,
Aldebaro

Current version:
6.2.1.2.  GSM
   GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications), from ETSI, has also
   been used in Alternative Networks as a Layer 2 option, as explained
   in [Mexican], [Village], [Heimerl].

Suggestion:
6.2.1.2.  GSM
   GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications), from ETSI, has also
   been used in Alternative Networks as a Layer 2 option, as explained
   in [Mexican], [Village], [Heimerl]. Open source GSM code such as
   [OpenBTS] and [OpenBSC] created an ecosystem with the participation
   of several companies [Range], [Endaga], [YateBTS] and deployments
   of voice, SMS and Internet services over alternative networks with
   an IP-based backhaul, for example. Internet navigation is restricted
   by relatively low bit rates [Osmocom].

   Benefiting from the evolution of 3rd Generation Partnership Project
   (3GPP) standards, a clear trend is the integration of 4G [IEEE-SDR],
   [YateBTS] or 5G [OpenAir] functionalities, with significant increase
   of achievable bit rates.

   Depending on factors such as the allocated frequency band, the
   adoption of licensed spectrum can have advantages over the
   eventually higher frequencies used for WiFi, with respect to signal
   propagation and, consequently, coverage. Other factors favorable
   to 3GPP technologies, especially GSM, are the low cost and energy
   consumption of handsets, which facilitate the digital inclusion of
   very low-income communities that cannot afford WiFi-enabled
   smartphones or face difficulties for charging them.

   [OpenBTS] http://openbts.org/
   [OpenBSC] http://openbsc.osmocom.org/trac/
   [Range] http://www.rangenetworks.com/
   [Endaga]
http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/endaga-raises-12m-help-it-bring-cel
lular-remote-villages/2014-12-03
   [YateBTS] http://yatebts.com/
   [Osmocom] http://osmocom.org/projects/osmopcu/wiki/GPRS_bitrates/2
   [IEEE-SDR] Software-Defined Radio Will Let Communities Build Their
   Own 4G Networks, IEEE Spectrum 2015. Available at 
 
http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/wireless/softwaredefined-radio-will-let-com
munities-build-their-own-4g-networks
   [OpenAir] http://www.openairinterface.org/

On 28/03/2016 08:18, Jose Saldana wrote:

Suggestion #3

Current version:

   GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications), from ETSI, has also

   been used in Alternative Networks as a Layer 2 option, as explained

Opinion:

   Item 6.2.1.2 could be expanded to include other 3GPP technologies,

   such as 3G, 4G/LTE [IEEE-SDR] and 5G [OpenAir], mentioning systems

   such as [OpenBTS], [OpenBSC] and [YateBTS]. If this is reasonable, 

   [IEEE-SDR] Software-Defined Radio Will Let Communities Build Their

http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/wireless/softwaredefined-radio-will-let-com
munities-build-their-own-4g-networks

[JS] I think we must be as inclusive as possible. However, we have to report
only those technologies that are being used in real "Alternative networks".
Those ideas that are only in a first research stage can be reported, but
only as "recent efforts" or "future possibilities".

If you could expand the text, including these references, and stating the
current status of each of them, we can discuss it with the people in the
list.

Thanks,

Jose

De: gaia [mailto:[email-masked]] En nombre de Aldebaro Klautau
Enviado el: viernes, 11 de marzo de 2016 11:20
Para: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
Asunto: Re: [gaia] Review required:
draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments

Hello,

I have recently joined the GAIA group and found
draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments-03.txt very
interesting. I am not sure if this is the proper way of contributing,
but I am sending attached some suggestions.

PS: Our university (UFPA) has partnership with Brazilian
institutions to provide telephony services and Internet via GPRS to
underserved (and very poor) communities in the Amazon forest. We are
then biased towards using GSM due e.g. to the low cost of the handsets.

Regards,
Aldebaro

-- 
==========================
Aldebaro Klautau
www.laps.ufpa.br <http://www.laps.ufpa.br>  - www.lasse.ufpa.br
<http://www.lasse.ufpa.br> 
Phone: +55 (91) 3201-7674
Address:
UFPA - PPGEE - LaPS - CP: 8619
66075.110 - Belem - Para - Brazil