Subject: [gaia] Facebook page for GAIA

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 20:25:07 +0100

All,
  Was thinking whether we should have a Facebook page for GAIA - so that
its easy for people to share media but also to reach a wider audience.
Should we have or not?

Regards
-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan
Personal: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/
N4D Lab: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/n4d

---

From: Nick Feamster <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 17:03:11 -0400

Well, I'm not on Facebook. 

Would be ironic to have a group whose mission is "global access for all", and then ask people to use a walled garden to join the group! 

On September 24, 2016 3:25:07 PM EDT, Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]> wrote:
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>gaia mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia

-Nick

---

From: Tristan Henderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 22:15:10 +0100

> its easy for people to share media but also to reach a wider audience.

Probably not the most important point, but unless something has
changed, Facebook won't let you create a page called "GAIA". For some
reason they are averse to capital letters. I gave up trying to create
a page for our CRAWDAD data archive because I couldn't come up with a
name that was both accurate and compliant with the Facebook rules.

Cheers,
Tristan
-- 
Tristan Henderson | School of Computer Science | University of St Andrews
www: http://tristan.host.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/  | tel: +44 1334 461637
The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland: No SC013532

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 22:23:06 +0100

Tristan - I have created a temp page for the timebeing (if needed later):
https://www.facebook.com/irtfgaia/?fref=ts

Nick - the IRTF itself has a FB page which is open (ofcourse those who dont
have a FB account cant comment or post) - but I was more of thinking
intertwining the FB page with the mailing list by posting links to media &
events on FB and then sharing it via the mailing list.

the FB ICT4D page set by Tim Unwin has around 4700+ members - so there
could be potential to reach a wider audience was my thinking.

Regards

---

From: Nick Feamster <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 17:37:43 -0400

Does one have to join Facebook to read and contribute to the content and discussions? 

-Nick

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 22:59:50 +0100

You can read without an account but need an account to contribute
(unfortunately).

Regards

On 24 September 2016 at 22:37, Nick Feamster <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>> Nick - the IRTF itself has a FB page which is open (ofcourse those who
>> dont have a FB account cant comment or post) - but I was more of thinking
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> gaia mailing list
>> [email-masked]

---

From: Nick Feamster <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 18:01:48 -0400

That's unfortunate.  I guess at least the mailing list is open to everyone with Internet access...!

On September 24, 2016 5:59:50 PM EDT, Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Does one have to join Facebook to read and contribute to the content
>and
>> discussions?
>>
>>>> >   Was thinking whether we should have a Facebook page for GAIA -
>so
>>>> that
>>>> The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland:
>No
>>>> SC013532
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Arjuna Sathiaseelan

-Nick

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 18:54:32 +0100

> everyone with Internet access...!

Yes. I guess so long as this is handled similarly to how we deal
with github comment/issues (i.e. carefully ensure all substantive
discussion is on the list) then it should be ok though. That does
require that someone actively push discussion back to the list now
and then though, whenever a discussion kicks off on the commercial
site that really ought be on the irtf list.

S.

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 00:22:37 +0100

Yes Stephen - that was the plan. The mailing list is always the predominant
one.

Regards

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 21:05:49 +0100

Stephen, All -

We have now setup an experimental FB page for GAIA:
https://www.facebook.com/irtfgaia/

Lets see how it goes and we will make sure that all discussions are pushed
to the mailing list (as appropriate).

Regards

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 07:24:39 +0100

Realised that a FB page allows only the moderators to post! So the best
option to do this is as a GAIA FB open group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1695413157451260/

Regards