Subject: [gaia] 1 World Connected - Case Studies of Internet Connectivity Projects

From: Sharada Srinivasan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 19:51:59 -0400

Hello,

I am a research fellow at the Center for Technology, Innovation and
Competition at the University of Pennsylvania.  I work on a project named 1
World Connected, which seeks to catalog all innovative efforts to expand
the Internet’s reach and improve adoption. We hope to do so by compiling
and disseminating case studies about these initiatives, as well as
empirically assessing their impact using available data.  The hope is to
give key decision makers a firmer, data-based foundation for determining
the best approaches for achieving the goal of universal connectivity. We
launched our website a couple of days ago with a few initial case studies;
they can be accessed at 1worldconnected.org.

Over the last few months, we have undertaken a broad literature survey to
compile a list of initiatives and projects around the world that are
currently aiming to improve connectivity across the world. I am sharing the
preliminary results of my survey here. The list spans different supply- and
demand-side initiatives across a range of technologies and stakeholder
groups (community networks, TVWS trials, digital literacy programs,
accessibility initiatives etc.) I have identified key information about
each initiative and categorized them on an excel sheet, available here:
https://goo.gl/rZLsWN

One of our main goals is to expand the list of potential case study
candidates in order to be as broad and inclusive as we can. Given the
number of people here that are involved in research or deployment of
innovative connectivity initiatives, it would be immensely valuable to us
if you could point us in the direction of initiatives that you may be
familiar with that could become potential case study candidates for our
work. I look forward to your input.

Thanks and regards,
Sharada Srinivasan,
Research Fellow,
Center for Technology, Innovation and Competition,
University of Pennsylvania
1worldconnected.org | @1_WorldConnect (Twitter) | 1Worldconnected (Facebook)

---

From: Leonardo Maccari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 09:19:05 +0200

On Mon, 2016-10-10 at 19:51 -0400, Sharada Srinivasan wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I am a research fellow at the Center for Technology, Innovation and Competition at the University of Pennsylvania.  I work on a project named 1 World Connected, which seeks to catalog all innovative
> efforts to expand the Internet’s reach and improve adoption. We hope to do so by compiling and disseminating case studies about these initiatives, as well as empirically assessing their impact using
> available data.  The hope is to give key decision makers a firmer, data-based foundation for determining the best approaches for achieving the goal of universal connectivity. We launched our website
> a couple of days ago with a few initial case studies; they can be accessed at 1worldconnected.org.
> 
> Over the last few months, we have undertaken a broad literature survey to compile a list of initiatives and projects around the world that are currently aiming to improve connectivity across the
> world. I am sharing the preliminary results of my survey here. The list spans different supply- and demand-side initiatives across a range of technologies and stakeholder groups (community networks,
> TVWS trials, digital literacy programs, accessibility initiatives etc.) I have identified key information about each initiative and categorized them on an excel sheet, available here: https://goo.gl
> /rZLsWN
> 
> One of our main goals is to expand the list of potential case study candidates in order to be as broad and inclusive as we can. Given the number of people here that are involved in research or
> deployment of innovative connectivity initiatives, it would be immensely valuable to us if you could point us in the direction of initiatives that you may be familiar with that could become
> potential case study candidates for our work. I look forward to your input.
> 

Hi Sharada,

In Trento we are coordinating the http://netCommons.eu project, whose main 
goal is to research on community networks. Several people in this list
are involved. Our first deliverable is on the website with a description
and categorization of some community networks around the world that
we have direct contacts with, and a long list of other community networks
we are aware of, but have no direct contact with.

Check it out, and come back in a week (or so) because we are going to release a 
new extended version.

best,
Leonardo.

> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
-- 
Leonardo Maccari, Assistant Professor @DISI, University of Trento
Tel: +39 0461 285323, www.disi.unitn.it/~maccari, gpg ID: AABE2BD7

---

From: Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 13:00:20 +0530

Leonardo

Thank you for sharing-

may I ask when was the project submitted and when did the funding start?
(Trying to understand how it relateS to Gaianet open project started on
this list two years ago for which I placed an open call on this list)

Paola Di Maio
about.me/paoladimaio
<https://about.me/paoladimaio?promo=email_sig&utm_source=email_sig&utm_medium=external_link&utm_campaign=chrome_ext>

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Leonardo Maccari <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> World Connected, which seeks to catalog all innovative
> > efforts to expand the Internet’s reach and improve adoption. We hope to
> do so by compiling and disseminating case studies about these initiatives,
> as well as empirically assessing their impact using
> > available data.  The hope is to give key decision makers a firmer,
> data-based foundation for determining the best approaches for achieving the
> goal of universal connectivity. We launched our website
> > Over the last few months, we have undertaken a broad literature survey
> to compile a list of initiatives and projects around the world that are
> currently aiming to improve connectivity across the
> > world. I am sharing the preliminary results of my survey here. The list
> spans different supply- and demand-side initiatives across a range of
> technologies and stakeholder groups (community networks,
> > TVWS trials, digital literacy programs, accessibility initiatives etc.)
> I have identified key information about each initiative and categorized
> them on an excel sheet, available here: https://goo.gl
> > /rZLsWN
> >
> number of people here that are involved in research or
> > deployment of innovative connectivity initiatives, it would be immensely
> valuable to us if you could point us in the direction of initiatives that
> you may be familiar with that could become

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 08:39:07 +0100

Hello Sharada,

I would suggest you also talk to:

1. Prof Kanchana Kanchanasut or to Adisorn lertsinsrubtavee about the first
community wireless mesh network deployment in Thailand as well as the
planned TVWS deployment.

2. I see that you have Guifi.net - talk to Roger Baig (he is in the Gaia
mailing list).

3. Talk to Marco Zennaro at the ICTP on the Malawi TVWS deployments, the
recent wireless network deployments in seychelles & comoros.

4. Talk to David Johnson at CSIR on the Masi network deployments.

5. Carlos Rey Moreno at UWC on the Zenzeleni.

6. Talk to Euan ([email-masked]) from Fjord on the DRC wireless
network.

7. You should definitely talk to the Tunapanda folks in Nairobi (they have
an offline community sharing educational content) - contact Josephine Milza
(cc-ed here). They are amazing set of young volunteers doing some amazing
work.

8. Talk to Mahesh Marina on the Tegola network in remote Scotland or
William Waites (Edinburgh) on the HUBS network (which also includes the
Tegola)

9. Nic Race (Lancaster) on the Wray village mesh network.

there are many other co-op networks here in the UK (cybermoor, B4RN etc)...

I think your list is great.

regards

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan
Personal: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/
N4D Lab: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/n4d

---

From: Javier Simó <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 12:51:47 +0200

Hi Sharada

Our group has deployed several networks in rural areas of Latin America 
in the last 20 years, firstly with packet-radio over VHF/HF RF systems 
(up to 2003) and since then using long-distance WiFi networks. When I 
say "our group" that means a stable collaboration between the EHAS 
Foundation (www.ehas.org), The rural telecommunications group (GTR) at 
the Pontificial Catholic University of Peru (PUCP) and the ICT4D group 
at Rey Juan Carlos University (URJC). The main examples:

- Telemedicine network based on WiLD in Colombia (deployed since 2003)
- WiFi network in the CuzcoSur region in Peru, a very mountainous 
region, used for telemedicine, education, e-government and many other 
services (deployed since 2005)
- A telemedicine network in Cuba (2005-) from which I have no idea about 
its current existence.
- The Balsapuerto network, Amazon rainforest, Peru, deployed by GTR and 
IEEE HTC and improved later with 3G services (2011-)
- The Napo network (2007-), the biggest (450 km along the Napo river 
connected with a chain of WiLD links). Telemedicine and 3G sevices in 
some villages, now working on completing the 3G access in all of them.
- The Putumayo network in the Amazon forest (2010-), following the 
border Colombia-Peru, with funds from both governments, a mixed 
satellite-WiLD network for telemedicine.

All of them and other minor deployments are public telemedicine 
networks, but some (Balsapuerto and Napo) are also rural transport 
networks for public 3G services provided by Telefonica in an innovative 
example of shared infrastructures. We are still working in those ones.

If you need further info about any of this, please contact with me or 
with Ignacio Prieto <[email-masked]>.

Best
Javier

El 11/10/16 a las 09:39, Arjuna Sathiaseelan escribió:
> 1. Prof Kanchana Kanchanasut or to Adisorn lertsinsrubtavee about the 
> first community wireless mesh network deployment in Thailand as well 
> as the planned TVWS deployment.
>
> 2. I see that you have Guifi.net - talk to Roger Baig (he is in the 
> Gaia mailing list).
>
> 3. Talk to Marco Zennaro at the ICTP on the Malawi TVWS deployments, 
> the recent wireless network deployments in seychelles & comoros.
>
> 6. Talk to Euan ([email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>) from Fjord on the DRC wireless network.
>
> 7. You should definitely talk to the Tunapanda folks in Nairobi (they 
> have an offline community sharing educational content) - contact 
> Josephine Milza (cc-ed here). They are amazing set of young volunteers 
> doing some amazing work.
>
> William Waites (Edinburgh) on the HUBS network (which also includes 
> the Tegola)
>
> On 11 October 2016 at 00:51, Sharada Srinivasan 
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I am a research fellow at the Center for Technology, Innovation
>     and Competition at the University of Pennsylvania.  I work on a
>     project named 1 World Connected, which seeks to catalog all
>     innovative efforts to expand the Internet’s reach and improve
>     adoption. We hope to do so by compiling and disseminating case
>     studies about these initiatives, as well as empirically assessing
>     their impact using available data.  The hope is to give key
>     decision makers a firmer, data-based foundation for determining
>     the best approaches for achieving the goal of universal
>     connectivity. We launched our website a couple of days ago with a
>     few initial case studies; they can be accessed at
>     1worldconnected.org <http://1worldconnected.org>.
>
>     Over the last few months, we have undertaken a broad literature
>     survey to compile a list of initiatives and projects around the
>     world that are currently aiming to improve connectivity across the
>     world. I am sharing the preliminary results of my survey here. The
>     list spans different supply- and demand-side initiatives across a
>     range of technologies and stakeholder groups (community networks,
>     TVWS trials, digital literacy programs, accessibility initiatives
>     etc.) I have identified key information about each initiative and
>     categorized them on an excel sheet, available here:
>     https://goo.gl/rZLsWN
>
>     One of our main goals is to expand the list of potential case
>     study candidates in order to be as broad and inclusive as we can.
>     Given the number of people here that are involved in research or
>     deployment of innovative connectivity initiatives, it would be
>     immensely valuable to us if you could point us in the direction of
>     initiatives that you may be familiar with that could become
>     1worldconnected.org <http://1worldconnected.org> | @1_WorldConnect
>     (Twitter) | 1Worldconnected (Facebook)
>
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     <https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia>
>
>
>
>
> -- 
> Arjuna Sathiaseelan
> <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/%7Eas2330/>
> <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/%7Eas2330/n4d>
>
>

-- 

---------------------------------------------------
Fco. Javier Simó Reigadas <[email-masked]>
Subdirector de Ord. Docente
ETS de Ingeniería de Telecomunicación
D-204, Departamental III
Camino Del Molino, s/n - 28943 Fuenlabrada (Madrid)
Tel: 914888428, Fax: 914887500
Web personal: http://www.tsc.urjc.es/~javier.simo

---

From: Leonardo Maccari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 10:11:02 +0200

On Tue, 2016-10-11 at 13:00 +0530, Paola Di Maio wrote:
> (Trying to understand how it relateS to Gaianet open project started on this list two years ago for which I placed an open call on this list)
> 

Hi Paola,

The project started in January 2016, it lasts three years
and was funded by the European Commission via H2020. How can we
help Gaianet?

best,
leonardo.

>  
>  	 	 Paola Di Maio  about.me/paoladimaio  			
> 
> 
> 
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Leonardo Maccari <[email-masked]> wrote:

---

From: Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 11:53:03 +0530

Thank you Leondardo

I shared Gaianet's first proposed deliverables on this list in 2014/2015
soliciting collaboration,

*To compile a description and categorization of community networks*

is the first item on the task list, and we have circulated the draft
questionnaire to solicit inputs

I never heard from you neither on list nor offlist-

it seems that some of our proposed activities ended up being  into your
project

I am not sure how to react to this, other than consulting  the respective
legal teams

What do you think should be done?

PDM

Paola Di Maio
about.me/paoladimaio

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 1:41 PM, Leonardo Maccari <[email-masked]

> > > > efforts to expand the Internet’s reach and improve adoption. We hope
> to do so by compiling and disseminating case studies about these
> initiatives, as well as empirically assessing their impact
> > > using
> survey to compile a list of initiatives and projects around the world that
> are currently aiming to improve connectivity across the
> list spans different supply- and demand-side initiatives across a range of
> categorized them on an excel sheet, available here: https://go
> > > o.gl
> > > > /rZLsWN
> > > >

---

From: Leonardo Maccari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 11:15:28 +0200

On Wed, 2016-10-12 at 11:53 +0530, Paola Di Maio wrote:
> Thank you Leondardo
> 
> I shared Gaianet's first proposed deliverables on this list in 2014/2015 soliciting collaboration, 
> 
> To compile a description and categorization of community networks
> 
> is the first item on the task list, and we have circulated the draft questionnaire to solicit inputs
> 
> it seems that some of our proposed activities ended up being  into your project
> 
> I am not sure how to react to this, other than consulting  the respective legal teams
> 

Paola, 

I am a bit puzzled by this email. netCommons deliverable is 
released in CC-BY-SA, feel free to reuse the content we generated. 
At the end of the deliverable there is a huge list of community 
networks we did not have time to contact, so a lot of work is to be 
done. I am ready to have a brief talk with you if you think it is 
needed, I will be in my office intermittently today, we can find 
a moment if you write me in private, my number is in the signature.

If you are implying that we "copied" our project from the Gaianet
proposal, I think this makes no sense. If you really think you want 
to put our legal teams in contact (I was told you already called 
our legal office), I don't think it's a wise idea, but it's up to 
you, and I will stop discussing this.

leonardo.

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 1:41 PM, Leonardo Maccari <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > > > efforts to expand the Internet’s reach and improve adoption. We hope to do so by compiling and disseminating case studies about these initiatives, as well as empirically assessing their
> > impact
> > > > using
> > > > > TVWS trials, digital literacy programs, accessibility initiatives etc.) I have identified key information about each initiative and categorized them on an excel sheet, available here: https:
> > //go
> > > > o.gl
> > > > > /rZLsWN
> > > > >

---

From: Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 15:10:35 +0530

Leonardo
thanks for reply

I  am also always puzzled when an idea which is floated on an open mailing
list  as an open collaboration  (it happens often) ends up being used by
one list member for funding of their project without the proponents  or the
exchanges being acknowledged, the list members being informed or invited to
participate.

Since you thought what I proposed as part of Gaianet activities was such a
great idea worth pursuing, how come you proposed it as your own project?

I think this is plain wrong, its called 'passing off'.
What do you think I should do?
Other than never share my original work and ideas on public lists again and
definitely complain.

I could not find a deliverable yet tho - could you share the URL?

(happy to continue this exchange offlist)

Best regards

Paola Di Maio
about.me/paoladimaio

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Leonardo Maccari <[email-masked]

> > > > (Trying to understand how it relateS to Gaianet open project started
> on this list two years ago for which I placed an open call on this list)
> > > >
> > >
> > > Hi Paola,
> > >
> and Competition at the University of Pennsylvania.  I work on a project
> named 1 World Connected, which seeks to catalog all
> > > > > innovative
> > > > > > efforts to expand the Internet’s reach and improve adoption. We
> hope to do so by compiling and disseminating case studies about these
> > > > > > available data.  The hope is to give key decision makers a
> firmer, data-based foundation for determining the best approaches for
> achieving the goal of universal connectivity. We launched our
> > > > > website
> > > > > > world. I am sharing the preliminary results of my survey here.
> The list spans different supply- and demand-side initiatives across a range
> of technologies and stakeholder groups (community
> > > > > networks,
> > > > > > TVWS trials, digital literacy programs, accessibility
> initiatives etc.) I have identified key information about each initiative
> and categorized them on an excel sheet, available here: https:
> > > //go
> > > > > o.gl
> > > > > > /rZLsWN
> > > > > >
> study candidates in order to be as broad and inclusive as we can. Given the

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 11:23:46 +0100

Hello Paola,
  Let me interrupt here. Sorry if I am being blunt here - but its on no
intention to hurt anyone but just to set the record straight.

When I conceived the idea of Gaianet  - it was about how do we build
federated community networks that could be used by both communities but
also the research community with a core sustainability angle - where the
research community could conduct experiments on leased resources pooled
from the communities (so we have things like micropayments, OS/network
level virtualisation for running sets of experiments).

This idea stemmed out from the numerous interactions and associations I had
with some people like  Leandro Navarro, Roger Baig, Leonardo Maccari,
Renato etc - and just for info - we were all part of the EU FP7 CONFINE
project (https://confine-project.eu/)!  The netcommons project stemmed out
of from the lessons learnt from the CONFINE project. then we also have the
cloudy project etc..

For more info - Leonardo & Renato are all part of Ninux which is one of the
largest community network initiatives in Italy! (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninux)

Most of the stuff we are talking about on Community Networks have been
pioneered by people like Leonardo, Renato, Leandro, Roger etc - they have
made significant contributions to the community and we are all using "their
work". They have dedicated their entire careers for community networks &
decentralisation.

So I am extremely surprised and dismayed by your mail threatening legal
action on the netcommons project/Leonardo - because we (the GAIA community
in general who are working on community networks) are all building on their
work!!!!!!!!

These mails are not setting a good example - members will now hesitate to
even open up on their projects/ongoing work - thinking that someone is
going to start threatening legal actions claiming its their own idea.

Ideas are open and not proprietary here - all our ideas are conceived/built
on our predecessors' contributions -- so I personally very strongly believe
no one claim their ideas as theirs!

Regards

On 12 October 2016 at 10:40, Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Other than never share my original work and ideas on public lists again
> and definitely complain.
>
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Leonardo Maccari <
>> > > > (Trying to understand how it relateS to Gaianet open project
>> started on this list two years ago for which I placed an open call on this
>> list)
>> > > >
>> > >
>> > > Hi Paola,
>> > >

---

From: Leonardo Maccari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 12:48:02 +0200

On Wed, 2016-10-12 at 15:10 +0530, Paola Di Maio wrote:
> Leonardo
> thanks for reply
> 
> I  am also always puzzled when an idea which is floated on an open mailing list  as an open collaboration  (it happens often) ends up being used by one list member for funding of their project
> without the proponents  or the exchanges being acknowledged, the list members being informed or invited to participate. 
> 
> Since you thought what I proposed as part of Gaianet activities was such a great idea worth pursuing, how come you proposed it as your own project? 
> 

Paola, 

On my side i consider the discussion closed by Arjuna's email,

> I could not find a deliverable yet tho - could you share the URL?

Results -> Deliverables -> D1.1 Report on the Existing CNs and their Organization (v1)
http://netcommons.eu/?q=content/report-existing-cns-and-their-organization-v1

a new version (D1.2) will be out in a few days.

leonardo.

---

From: Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 16:25:02 +0530

Matthew, and Arjuna

Obviously, we hall have a different perspective on things

Let me tell you the way I see things:

You are obviously all in it  :-)

I am very saddened that you are letting this happen

I  consider my contribution shared via the list (proposed research design,
questionnaire, deliverables etc)  was plagiarized (used without
attribution)  as part of Leondardo's project and I am considering what is
the best way to have my claim heard.

As you correctly say. I no longer have confidence that sharing on the list
can be trusted, I will then refrain from sharing my ideas openly in the
future

Best!!

Cheers

PDM

Paola Di Maio
about.me/paoladimaio

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Arjuna Sathiaseelan <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> This idea stemmed out from the numerous interactions and associations I
> had with some people like  Leandro Navarro, Roger Baig, Leonardo Maccari,
> project (https://confine-project.eu/)!  The netcommons project stemmed
> out of from the lessons learnt from the CONFINE project. then we also have
> the cloudy project etc..
>
> For more info - Leonardo & Renato are all part of Ninux which is one of
> the largest community network initiatives in Italy! (
> Ideas are open and not proprietary here - all our ideas are
> conceived/built on our predecessors' contributions -- so I personally very
> strongly believe no one claim their ideas as theirs!
>
> Regards
>
>
>> I  am also always puzzled when an idea which is floated on an open
>> mailing list  as an open collaboration  (it happens often) ends up being
>> used by one list member for funding of their project without the proponents
>>  or the exchanges being acknowledged, the list members being informed or
>> invited to participate.
>>
>> Since you thought what I proposed as part of Gaianet activities was such
>> a great idea worth pursuing, how come you proposed it as your own project?
>>
>>> > > > > > I am a research fellow at the Center for Technology,
>>> Innovation and Competition at the University of Pennsylvania.  I work on a
>>> > > > > > efforts to expand the Internet’s reach and improve adoption.
>>> We hope to do so by compiling and disseminating case studies about these
>>> > > > > > Over the last few months, we have undertaken a broad
>>> literature survey to compile a list of initiatives and projects around the

---

From: Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 16:28:01 +0530

Thank you Leonardo

for the link

I ll follow up relevant claims with the appropriate channels-

Paola Di Maio
about.me/paoladimaio

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Leonardo Maccari <[email-masked]

> used by one list member for funding of their project
> > without the proponents  or the exchanges being acknowledged, the list
> members being informed or invited to participate.
> >

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 18:23:56 +0100

Hello Paola,

I once again very strongly believe that the world is open to anyone and
everyone. Live and let live.

There are better ways to foster collaboration - trust and openness are
basic requirements. No one is here to cheat anyone or to take
control/advantage of anyone. Everyone have their own things to do and i
dont think we have any free airtime within our cognitive realm to think
about how we could capitalise on someone else's ideas.

If you can take a more positive outlook - then you might see this from a
very different perspective. We can easily get more things done that way
rather than taking a negative approach and isolating valuable people I
think imho.

I am saying this as a well wisher. Thanks.

Regards
On 12 Oct 2016 11:55, "Paola Di Maio" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>> > > > > > world. I am sharing the preliminary results of my survey
>>>> here. The list spans different supply- and demand-side initiatives across a
>>>> > > > > > deployment of innovative connectivity initiatives, it would
>>>> be immensely valuable to us if you could point us in the direction of

---

From: Carlos Rey-Moreno <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 12:43:40 +0200

Dear Sharada, Leonardo, et al

Together with my colleague Michael Graaf, we have been busy mapping over
the past few months self-defined Community Networks in Africa. The results
will be published as part of the 1st Report of the Dynamic Coalition on
Community Connectivity (DC3), and presented at the DC3 workshop at the IGF
in Mexico later this year.

A pre-print version of the paper can be found at:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/309291449_Map_of_the_Community_Network_Initiatives_in_Africa

Results include the identification and profiling of 37 initiatives in 12
different countries, which could contribute expanding the initiatives
featured in your reports.

Note that ISOC has sponsored presentatives of at least 10 of these
initiatives to be present at the 1st Summit on Community Networks in
Africa, in Nairobi on the 22nd November:
https://www.internetsociety.org/events/1st-summit-community-networks-africa

Thank you very much,

carlos

On 12 October 2016 at 19:23, Arjuna Sathiaseelan <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>> I  consider my contribution shared via the list (proposed research
>> design, questionnaire, deliverables etc)  was plagiarized (used without
>> As you correctly say. I no longer have confidence that sharing on the
>> list can be trusted, I will then refrain from sharing my ideas openly in
>> the future
>>
>> Best!!
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> PDM
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Paola Di Maio
>> about.me/paoladimaio
>>
>>> These mails are not setting a good example - members will now hesitate
>>> to even open up on their projects/ongoing work - thinking that someone is
>>>> Since you thought what I proposed as part of Gaianet activities was
>>>> such a great idea worth pursuing, how come you proposed it as your own
>>>> project?
>>>>
>>>>> > > > > > One of our main goals is to expand the list of potential
>>>>> case study candidates in order to be as broad and inclusive as we can.

-- 
Carlos Rey-Moreno, PhD
PostDoctoral Fellow University of the Western Cape
Zenzeleni Networks: zenzeleni.net
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxTPSWMX26M
Cel: +27 (0) 76 986 3633
Skype: carlos.reymoreno Twitter: Creym

---

From: Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 17:05:46 +0530

Carlos

Thanks for sharing your early results and glad to see this

I wonder, are you still in time to gather socio technical-economic data for
the networks  surveyed?

It would be nice - if at all possible - to have some harmony in the data
models for the various surveys being carried out worldwide, as this will
make future analysis work easier, and it will help the knowledge base that
can be created as an outcome of the various projects to be more useful

I shared on the list (2014/15) some (basic) research design, sample
questionnaire and evaluation criteria but can send you additional input if
you require.  Let me know if you need further help to do this

If not, maybe work ahead?

Cheers

Paola Di Maio
about.me/paoladimaio

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Carlos Rey-Moreno <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/309291449_Map_of_
> the_Community_Network_Initiatives_in_Africa
>
> Africa, in Nairobi on the 22nd November: https://www.internetsociety.
> org/events/1st-summit-community-networks-africa
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> carlos
>
>
>
>
>>>>> Other than never share my original work and ideas on public lists
>>>>> again and definitely complain.
>>>>>
>>>>>> > > > > > efforts to expand the Internet’s reach and improve
>>>>>> adoption. We hope to do so by compiling and disseminating case studies
>>>>>> about these initiatives, as well as empirically assessing their
>>>>>> > > impact
>>>>>> > > > > using

---

From: Carlos Rey-Moreno <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 16:48:21 +0200

Hi Paola, I have no capacity to build over that research. I see it more, as
Sharada's work, a first block that others can use to continue building
evidence.

regards,

carlos

On 23 October 2016 at 13:35, Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I wonder, are you still in time to gather socio technical-economic data
> for the networks  surveyed?
>
>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/309291449_Map_of_th
>> e_Community_Network_Initiatives_in_Africa
>>
>> Africa, in Nairobi on the 22nd November: https://www.internetsociety.or
>> g/events/1st-summit-community-networks-africa
>>
>> Thank you very much,
>>
>> carlos
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>>>>   Let me interrupt here. Sorry if I am being blunt here - but its on
>>>>> no intention to hurt anyone but just to set the record straight.
>>>>>
>>>>> This idea stemmed out from the numerous interactions and associations
>>>>> I had with some people like  Leandro Navarro, Roger Baig, Leonardo Maccari,
>>>>> project (https://confine-project.eu/)!  The netcommons project
>>>>> stemmed out of from the lessons learnt from the CONFINE project. then we
>>>>> also have the cloudy project etc..
>>>>>
>>>>> For more info - Leonardo & Renato are all part of Ninux which is one
>>>>> of the largest community network initiatives in Italy! (
>>>>> So I am extremely surprised and dismayed by your mail threatening
>>>>> legal action on the netcommons project/Leonardo - because we (the GAIA
>>>>> community in general who are working on community networks) are all
>>>>> building on their work!!!!!!!!
>>>>>
>>>>>>> > > > > > deployment of innovative connectivity initiatives, it
>>>>>>> would be immensely valuable to us if you could point us in the direction of

---

From: Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 20:31:14 +0530

Thank you Carlos

I ll be happy to build on additional bits
but to do so (as in Sharada's) I need access to raw data

In particular I need the contact details (emails) for the surveyed
individuals, so that I can send them follow up questions. Or , I could ask
you, and Sharadas and Leonardo to send a follow up questionnaire perhaps?

Let me know what you think may work best

Thank you

PDM

Paola Di Maio
about.me/paoladimaio

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 8:18 PM, Carlos Rey-Moreno <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Paola, I have no capacity to build over that research. I see it more,
> as Sharada's work, a first block that others can use to continue building
> evidence.
>
> regards,
>
> carlos
>
>>>> If you can take a more positive outlook - then you might see this from
>>>> a very different perspective. We can easily get more things done that way
>>>>>> Most of the stuff we are talking about on Community Networks have
>>>>>> been pioneered by people like Leonardo, Renato, Leandro, Roger etc - they
>>>>>> have made significant contributions to the community and we are all using
>>>>>> "their work". They have dedicated their entire careers for community
>>>>>> networks & decentralisation.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> These mails are not setting a good example - members will now
>>>>>> hesitate to even open up on their projects/ongoing work - thinking that
>>>>>> someone is going to start threatening legal actions claiming its their own
>>>>>> idea.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> > > > > > available data.  The hope is to give key decision makers
>>>>>>>> a firmer, data-based foundation for determining the best approaches for
>>>>>>>> > > > > > a couple of days ago with a few initial case studies;

---

From: Sharada Srinivasan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 12:37:17 -0400

Hello Paola,

The project that I am working on collects data primarily through interviews
supplemented by desk research - we do not have an online survey
questionnaire. While it is hard to do so in every single case, to the
extent that is possible, I try to speak to the people involved in these
projects and hear their stories first hand to be captured in our case
studies. We are also getting a better sense of the data that is currently
being collected by these initiatives, which feeds into our efforts to
develop the metrics that are best suitable for longitudinal data collection
across initiatives. The second half of this work is very much underway but
we do not want to get ahead of the data. I will be happy to share our
learnings and seek input as we have more.

Regards,
Sharada.

On 24 October 2016 at 11:01, Paola Di Maio <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>> Together with my colleague Michael Graaf, we have been busy mapping
>>>> over the past few months self-defined Community Networks in Africa. The
>>>> results will be published as part of the 1st Report of the Dynamic
>>>> Coalition on Community Connectivity (DC3), and presented at the DC3
>>>> workshop at the IGF in Mexico later this year.
>>>>
>>>> Results include the identification and profiling of 37 initiatives in
>>>> 12 different countries, which could contribute expanding the initiatives
>>>>> I once again very strongly believe that the world is open to anyone
>>>>> and everyone. Live and let live.
>>>>>
>>>>> There are better ways to foster collaboration - trust and openness
>>>>> are  basic requirements. No one is here to cheat anyone or to take
>>>>>>> This idea stemmed out from the numerous interactions and
>>>>>>> associations I had with some people like  Leandro Navarro, Roger Baig,
>>>>>>> Leonardo Maccari, Renato etc - and just for info - we were all part of the
>>>>>>> EU FP7 CONFINE project (https://confine-project.eu/)!  The
>>>>>>> netcommons project stemmed out of from the lessons learnt from the CONFINE
>>>>>>> project. then we also have the cloudy project etc..
>>>>>>>

-- 
Sharada