Subject: [gaia] Fwd: [OTF-Announce] Announcement of Funding Opportunities

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 20:56:53 +0200

relevant funding opportunities.

arjuna

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: dan <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 October 2016 at 20:28
Subject: [OTF-Announce] Announcement of Funding Opportunities
To: OTF-Announce <[email-masked]>

*--- OTF FUNDING ANNOUNCEMENTS
---==============================================*Please find below several
upcoming internet freedom-relevant funding application deadlines. There are
two sections, the first for OTF support and the second for all alternative
support mechanisms. Note that some of the listed application windows close
in just a few days.
If you have any questions on the information below, please feel free to
give a shout to us at OTF anytime. Thanks!

*1. OTF FUNDING==============================================*

   -
*OTF - Internet Freedom Fund *
*Deadline: 2016-11-01 *The Internet Freedom Fund is OTF's primary way to
   support projects and people working on open and accessible
   technology-centric projects that promote human rights, internet freedom,
   open societies, and help advance inclusive and safe access to global
   communications networks. Successful applicants are awarded monetary support
   up to $900,000 and no less than $10,000, with preference given to those
   projects and people who are new to the internet freedom community, helping
   those living within repressive environments, and are requesting less than
   $300,000 for a duration of less than 12 months.
   Apply: https://www.opentech.fund/requests/internet-freedom-fund

   -
*OTF - Rapid Response Fund *
*Deadline: Ongoing *The Rapid Response Fund is part of a broader OTF initiative
   which aims to facilitate the development of a strong digital emergency
   response community that can work together to resolve threats in a timely
   and comprehensive manner. OTF offers both direct financial support as
   well as technical services from trusted partners to resolve digital
   emergencies experienced by high-risk Internet users and organizations, such
   as bloggers, cyber activists, journalists. and human rights defenders.
   Apply: https://www.opentech.fund/requests/rapid-response-fund

*2. ALTERNATIVE FUNDING==============================================*

   - *Human Rights Watch - Various Fellowships*
   *Deadline: October 8, 2016*
   Human Rights Watch has several available fellowships all with a deadline
   of tomorrow, 10/8/16.
   More information: https://careers.hrw.org/opportunities/?
   employmentLevel=Fellowship&location=&department=&keywords=
   <https://careers.hrw.org/opportunities/?employmentLevel=Fellowship&location=&department=&keywords=>

   -
*National Science Foundation (NSF) - Secure and Trustworthy Cyberspace
   (SaTC) *
*Upcoming windows: October 12 - October 19 and November 02 - November 16,
   2016   *"The SaTC program welcomes proposals that address cybersecurity
   and privacy, and draw on expertise in one or more of these areas:
   computing, communication and information sciences; engineering; economics;
   education; mathematics; statistics; and social and behavioral sciences.
   Proposals that advance the field of cybersecurity and privacy within a
   single discipline or interdisciplinary efforts that span multiple
   disciplines are both encouraged."
   More information and apply: https://www.nsf.gov/fun
   ding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=504709
   <https://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=504709>

   -
*National Science Foundation (NSF) - Computer and Network Systems (CNS):
   Core Programs *
*Upcoming windows: October 12 - October 19 and November 02 - November 16,
   2016  *"CISE’s Division of Computer and Network Systems (CNS) supports
   research and education projects that develop new knowledge in two core
   programs: Computer Systems Research (CSR) program and Networking Technology
   and Systems (NeTS) program." Funding is available for small projects (up to
   $500,000 total budget, durations up to three years), medium projects
   ($500,001-$1,200,000 total budget, durations up to four years), and large
   projects ($1,2000,001-$3,000,000 total budget, durations up to five years).
   More information and apply: https://nsf.gov/pubs/
   2016/nsf16579/nsf16579.htm

   - Echoing Green Fellowships
   Deadline: October 25, 2016
   "Echoing Green Fellows are the innovators, instigators, pioneers, and
   rebels that reject the status quo and drive positive social change all over
   the world. While their work, their geographies, and even their approaches
   may be as varied as the problems they are working to solve, their common
   passion and commitment form the base of this robust, active community of
   leaders"
   Apply: http://www.echoinggreen.org/fellowship/apply

   - *State Department DRL Request for SOIs: Human Rights, Accountability,
   and Access to Information in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea
   (DPRK or North Korea) *
   *Deadline: October 31, 2016 by 11:30pm Eastern Time*
   "*Fostering the Free Flow of Information into, out of, and within the
   DPRK *(approximately $1,600,000, pending availability of funding, with
   potentially more than two (2) projects awarded)...DRL’s goal is for the
   people of North Korea to have increased access to independent information
   that provides a range of viewpoints and increases exposure to and
   understanding of environments where individuals are able to communicate
   information and express their opinions freely."
   More information and apply: https://www.state.gov/j/drl/p/262180.htm

   -

*Shuttleworth Foundation Fellowships Deadline: November 1, 2016 *"The
   Shuttleworth Foundation offers fellowships to individuals to implement
   their innovative idea for social change. We are most interested in
   exceptional ideas at the intersection between technology, knowledge and
   learning, with openness being the key requirement. The Foundation funds
   people from all over the world regardless of gender, age, nationality or
   experience. We are looking for a complete picture of you and your idea."
   Apply: https://www.shuttleworthfoundation.org/application-form/

   - *National Endowment for Democracy (NED) - Reagan-Fascell Fellowship
   Program*
   *Deadline: November 1, 2016*
   "The Reagan-Fascell Democracy Fellows Program hosts democratic
   activists, scholars, and journalists for five-month fellowships, bringing
   fresh insights and perspectives to Washington, DC. The fellowship offers an
   important opportunity to explore new ideas in a comparative context,
   undertake individual research, and share best practices with one another."
   Apply: http://www.ned.org/fellowships/reagan-fascell-
   democracy-fellows-program/applying-for-a-fellowship/
   <http://www.ned.org/fellowships/reagan-fascell-democracy-fellows-program/applying-for-a-fellowship/>

   -

*Mozilla Open Source Support (MOSS) Deadline: November 30, 2016 "*The
   Mozilla Open Source Support program is designed to recognize and celebrate
   communities who are leading the way with open source projects that
   contribute to our work and the health of the Web. It encompasses a “give
   back” element for Open Source and Free Software projects that Mozilla
   relies on (the "Foundational Technology" track), a “give forward” element
   for supporting other projects whose goals are in alignment with ours (the
   "Mission Partners" track), and an element for improving the security of the
   open source ecosystem (the "Secure Open Source" track)."
   More information: https://wiki.mozilla.org/MOSS#Program_Overview
   Apply: https://docs.google.com/a/opentechfund.org/forms/d/e/
   1FAIpQLSe9a9h4afnJnDp3rRRHB4i1Xnb3otzfaQrb9uXVeoeXlB3NSg/viewform
   <https://docs.google.com/a/opentechfund.org/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe9a9h4afnJnDp3rRRHB4i1Xnb3otzfaQrb9uXVeoeXlB3NSg/viewform>

---------
In addition to the open application windows listed above, you can always
check our compiled list of alternative sources of support:
https://www.opentech.fund/apply/alternative-sources-support

-- 
This is the announce list for Open Technology Fund,
https://www.opentechfund.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"OTF-Announce" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to [email-masked].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/
opentechfund.org/d/optout.

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan
Personal: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/
N4D Lab: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/n4d