Subject: [gaia] my proposal to Mozille: InterNet, the Inter-connection of local Net-works

From: willi uebelherr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 21:01:39 -0300

InterNet, the Inter-connection of local Net-works
A proposal for the Mozilla project "equal-rating"

Dear friends,

the Mozilla project is only for groups with 2 or more members. Therefore 
i have sent this text direcctly to Mozilla.

But the most important function of this text is to support our 
discussion and critical reflection. This will be more creative in our 
situation with that, what we give the name Internet. A big nonsense.

In the IRTF Gaia maillist on 7.1.2017 i received a link to a text:

“Reclaiming the Internet” with distributed architectures: An introduction
by Francesca Musiani and Cécile Méadel, 5. Dec 2016
http://journals.uic.edu/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/7101/5654

This is the same theme and act in the same space. Not in the areal of 
technical questions to the components. But more to our philosophical 
orientation.

Reclaiming the Internet is a nice title. And have a clear orientation. 
But if no Internet exist, you will never be able to reclaim it.

In the ISOC global maillist we had last year a big discussion to my 
proposal to the EU Survey "Next Generation Internet". It is the same. In 
some other lists from ISOC and IGF and IUF and hacker spaces and 
Community Networks and so on it is new. Also in the WSF (World Social 
Forum).

The next and second part are the technical questions. But this, based on 
my experience, we have to organise it in a new space: Our global network 
for free technology. And this don't exist in this time. Therefore, we 
have to create it, because we need it.

many greetings, willi
for now: Asuncion, Paraguay

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Equal Rating Innovation Challenge
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 22:49:28 -0300
From: willi uebelherr <[email-masked]>
To: Mozilla equalrating <[email-masked]>
CC: Mozilla equal-rating info <[email-masked]>, Mozilla Open 
Innovation Team <[email-masked]>

Dear friends of Mozilla,

"Submissions must be made by teams of a minimum of two members". This i 
have read now the first time. But, i am alone. Of course, i will 
distribute also this proposal and discuss it with many people like the 
other proposals before.

I send you my proposal for your "equal-rating" project. Your Submission 
form is not usable for me as a single person. Please, check it and tell, 
what you think about.

many greetings, willi
for now: Asuncion, Paraguay

InterNet, the Inter-connection of local Net-works

A proposal for the Mozilla project "equal-rating"

Dear friends,

I want to submit a proposal for the Mozilla project "equal-rating", 
which rests on my proposals at 1net.org in Brazil 2014 and the EU Survey 
Project "Next Generation Internet" 2016. All together rest on my texts 
"InterNet design principles", "Decentralization of the IP addresses" and 
"Decentralization of the DNS system" on the basis of the ccTLDs (country 
coded Top Level Domain).

In the proposal from Mozilla (https://equalrating.com/our-goal/) we read:
"Mozilla believes that we can and must do better. We don’t believe 
possession of a smartphone is enough to unlock the possibility of the 
Web for a significant set of people. We believe the open Internet is a 
social, educational, and economic tool that can build communities and 
businesses, and empower individuals."

The free access to free knowledge and free communication for our free 
global co-operation helps the people to organize their stable local 
livelihoods themselves.

Vint Cerf, William Drake and Wolfgang Kleinwaechter have written a text 
on the fragmentation of the Internet for the WEF (World Economy Forum). 
I am not a friend of the WEF. But I am a big friend of this work. There 
we find:

Internet Fragmentation
http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_FII_Internet_Fragmentation_An_Overview_2016.pdf

Under: The Open Internet (p 13)
"From a technical standpoint, the original shared vision guiding the 
Internet’s development was that
every device on the Internet should be able to exchange data packets 
with any other device that was willing to receive them."

This we can declare to one of our basic principles. But therefore we 
must ask the question of  what is an Internet. My answer is: "the 
Inter-connections of local Net-works". This makes the InterNet to a 
transport system for digital data in packet form. The active elements in 
this network of connections are the local networks. And our "devices" 
with which we use these telecommunication systems are the elements of 
the local network.

This answer is not absolutely valid. It is subject to our philosophical 
orientations and systems of value.

We continue to ask how the packages find their way. Here I orient myself 
on how we find our way, if we want to move from one place to another 
place. We use the geographic orientation mixed with the knowledge of 
transportation possibilities over long distances.

The basis for this is the geographical position of a local network in a 
coordinate system of the earth. Which coordinate system we use is open, 
even if I have a proposal for it. But this proposal is intended to be 
about basic principles, which are then the basis for special details. 
And it is important that we follow the proven path of the RFCs. An open 
debate about good solutions.

Another important principle is that we implement the error checking in 
this transport system,  because it is a matter of the transport. We want 
that the packages that we transport arrive as they were sent. At the 
second level, the application level, we act as if the two communication 
partners were directly connected.

This error check takes place in each segment of the transport system. 
For this the package has a checksum. In the routers, a branching points 
with at least 2 alternatives, the transmission is checked and corrected 
if necessary. These methods are also still open. The important thing is 
that we can be sure when a packet arrives, that is identical to the 
packet, that was sent.

We can summarize these principles in a list.

1) The constituent elements are the local and autonomous networks.

2) All local networks connect with their neighbors. We also use this 
principle at the level of the regional, and if necessary, the 
supraregional centers.

3) The transport capacities of these connections are basically 
symmetrical in both directions.

4) The global address for the global transport is derived from the 
geographic location of the local network. The local address is 
exclusively for the local network.

5) An error check is performed in each segment of this network, the 
route between 2 routers.

6) We distinguish 2 transport types: asynchronous and synchronous. The 
synchronous packets are preferred. Within the synchronous packets, there 
is the emergency call. These packages have the highest priority.

7) We decentralize the DNS system (Domain Name System) based on the 
ccTLD (country coded top level domain).

8) This telecommunication system is available to all people free of 
charge. It created from the activities of the people in the local 
networks and her regions.

The realization conditions

The telecommunications system is a technical system for the transport of 
digital data in packet form. The technology, the materialization of the 
laws of the nature, stay in the foreground. The principles of the design 
of the structure of this system is based on our philosophical foundations.

The technologies for our telecommunication system are the objects of our 
global cooperation network of free technology. Free to participate in 
the development, free to use the results, for all people on our planet. 
With that, we realize 2 basic principles: "Think globally, act locally" 
and "Knowledge is always World Heritage".

All people on our planet need this telecommunication system. Therefore 
it is reasonable, that we organize the search of the solutions in the 
theoretical and constructive questions for the creation of the 
components for this system in a free and global cooperation.

To the addressing space

The text "Internet Fragmentation" clearly addresses the limitations of 
today's addressing methods. If we use a 2 x 64bit address for global and 
local addresses, the following picture is shown.

Based on the determination of a point on the Earth's surface with two 
angular dimensions, horizontal and vertical, and an approximate 
circumference of the Earth of 40,000 km, a resolution of 9 mm per circle 
results for a 64 bit global address (2 x 32 bit). The 64 bit local 
address is completely available to the area of the local network.

This makes all discussions on the topic of IOT (Internet of Things) 
completely superfluous. And we're thrown back to the point where the 
Internet started.

With many greetings, willi uebelherr
Asuncion, Paraguay, 3.01.2017

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 00:19:41 +0000

Check this out too :
https://blockstack.org/blog/funding-the-new-decentralized-internet

On 8 Jan 2017 00:02, "willi uebelherr" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> the Mozilla project is only for groups with 2 or more members. Therefore i
> have sent this text direcctly to Mozilla.
>
> But the most important function of this text is to support our discussion
> and critical reflection. This will be more creative in our situation with
> that, what we give the name Internet. A big nonsense.
>
> Reclaiming the Internet is a nice title. And have a clear orientation. But
> if no Internet exist, you will never be able to reclaim it.
>
> some other lists from ISOC and IGF and IUF and hacker spaces and Community
> Networks and so on it is new. Also in the WSF (World Social Forum).
>
> for free technology. And this don't exist in this time. Therefore, we have
> to create it, because we need it.
>
> many greetings, willi
> have read now the first time. But, i am alone. Of course, i will distribute
> also this proposal and discuss it with many people like the other proposals
> before.
>
> I want to submit a proposal for the Mozilla project "equal-rating", which
> rests on my proposals at 1net.org in Brazil 2014 and the EU Survey
> possession of a smartphone is enough to unlock the possibility of the Web
> for a significant set of people. We believe the open Internet is a social,
> educational, and economic tool that can build communities and businesses,
> and empower individuals."
>
> Vint Cerf, William Drake and Wolfgang Kleinwaechter have written a text on
> the fragmentation of the Internet for the WEF (World Economy Forum). I am
> not a friend of the WEF. But I am a big friend of this work. There we find:
>
> Internet Fragmentation
> every device on the Internet should be able to exchange data packets with
> any other device that was willing to receive them."
>
> This we can declare to one of our basic principles. But therefore we must
> ask the question of  what is an Internet. My answer is: "the
> this network of connections are the local networks. And our "devices" with
> which we use these telecommunication systems are the elements of the local
> network.
>
> on how we find our way, if we want to move from one place to another place.
> We use the geographic orientation mixed with the knowledge of
> even if I have a proposal for it. But this proposal is intended to be about
> basic principles, which are then the basis for special details. And it is
> important that we follow the proven path of the RFCs. An open debate about
> good solutions.
>
> that the packages that we transport arrive as they were sent. At the second
> level, the application level, we act as if the two communication partners
> were directly connected.
>
> This error check takes place in each segment of the transport system. For
> this the package has a checksum. In the routers, a branching points with at
> least 2 alternatives, the transmission is checked and corrected if
> necessary. These methods are also still open. The important thing is that
> we can be sure when a packet arrives, that is identical to the packet, that
> was sent.
>
>
> principle at the level of the regional, and if necessary, the supraregional
> centers.
>
> 3) The transport capacities of these connections are basically symmetrical
> in both directions.
>
> geographic location of the local network. The local address is exclusively
> for the local network.
>
> 5) An error check is performed in each segment of this network, the route
> between 2 routers.
>
> synchronous packets are preferred. Within the synchronous packets, there is
> the emergency call. These packages have the highest priority.
>
> 7) We decentralize the DNS system (Domain Name System) based on the ccTLD
> (country coded top level domain).
>
> charge. It created from the activities of the people in the local networks
> and her regions.
>
>
> laws of the nature, stay in the foreground. The principles of the design of
> the structure of this system is based on our philosophical foundations.
>
> global cooperation network of free technology. Free to participate in the
> development, free to use the results, for all people on our planet. With
> that, we realize 2 basic principles: "Think globally, act locally" and
> "Knowledge is always World Heritage".
>
> All people on our planet need this telecommunication system. Therefore it
> is reasonable, that we organize the search of the solutions in the
> theoretical and constructive questions for the creation of the components
> for this system in a free and global cooperation.
>
>
> To the addressing space
>
> results for a 64 bit global address (2 x 32 bit). The 64 bit local address
> is completely available to the area of the local network.
>
> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>

---

From: willi uebelherr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 21:39:00 -0300

> https://blockstack.org/blog/funding-the-new-decentralized-internet

Dear Arjuna,
many many thanks also for this link. I start to read and i was excited.
many greetings, willi

---

From: willi uebelherr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 22:31:30 -0300

Dear Arjuna,

my joy has turned into disappointment. This people work only on the 
application level. But my proposal is oriented to the transport level. 
Abd this two levels, the only one, that exist, are very different.

The blockstack concept goes to increase the fragmentation in our 
telecommunication. You have to be member in the blockstack community. 
And to use this space you have to pay.

I think now, this is incompatible with my perspectives and visions.

many greetings, willi
Asuncion, Paraguay

---

From: Lakshminarayanan Subramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 17:32:47 -0500

Dear Willi,

CCing Muneeb, the co-founder of Blockstack.

You can contact Muneeb regarding your queries on Blockstack.

Anyone in GAIA who wishes to use GAIA could send a note to Muneeb. He is
happy to enhance his community with GAIA users.

Arjuna, please add Muneeb to GAIA mailing list. Muneeb played a central
role in starting the first NSDR workshop.

cheers
lakshmi

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 8:31 PM, willi uebelherr <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> application level. But my proposal is oriented to the transport level. Abd
> this two levels, the only one, that exist, are very different.
>
> telecommunication. You have to be member in the blockstack community. And
> to use this space you have to pay.
>

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 08:07:09 +0000

Great Lakshmi...

Muneeb you should be able to add yourself through here:
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia

also wondering if the tech should be directly relevant to community
networks in general..

would be good to talk to Guifi.net:  Roger Baig (cc-ed)

Regards

On 9 January 2017 at 22:32, Lakshminarayanan Subramanian <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 8:31 PM, willi uebelherr <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Dear Arjuna,
>>

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan
Personal: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/
N4D Lab: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/n4d

---

From: willi uebelherr <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 11:53:02 -0300

Dear Arjuna,

if you reduce the "tech" to blochstack, then for the Community Networks 
it is not relevant. The theme for Community networks is the transport 
layer and not the application layer.

many greetings, willi
Asuncion, Paraguay

---

From: Muneeb Ali <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 13:59:16 -0500

Thanks Lakshmi for the intro. I'm happy to answer any questions about
Blockstack.

You do not need to be a member of the community to use Blockstack -- it's a
completely open network. Only new registrations cost (a tiny amount of)
money e.g., the .id namespace has domain registrations under $1 and other
namespaces can be even cheaper.

Arjuna, thanks for the pointer to the Gaia mailing list, Mirage, and
Databox. We talked to Tim Berners-Lee recently and he registered his
identity on Blockstack:
https://twitter.com/timberners_lee/status/740677355950080001

*Muneeb Ali*  |  *Co-founder, Blockstack Inc*

*muneebali.com <http://muneebali.com>*

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 9:53 AM, willi uebelherr <[email-masked]

>
> Dear Arjuna,
>
> if you reduce the "tech" to blochstack, then for the Community Networks it
> is not relevant. The theme for Community networks is the transport layer
> and not the application layer.
>
> many greetings, willi
> Asuncion, Paraguay
>
>