Subject: [gaia] Fwd: Internet Connection officially Severed in Anglophone Cameroon Pleaase help

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 16:55:38 +0000

Please see this email Nyangkwe.

From: Nyangkwe Agien Aaron <[email-masked]>

Dear All

It has been roughly a month that the people of the anglophone regions
(formerly Southern Cameroons) of Cameroon have had internet cut off. The
minister of Post and Telecommunication states that it was for security
reasons. MTN the operator that supplys internet in the zone stated that
they were under contractual obligations to cut internet from the area. The
situation is causing some economic and human rights havoc

One should recall that the entire anglophone region is currently on a
school strike action and ghost towns untill the government ascribes to the
demand of a two states federation, reinstate the anglosaxone system of
education that has been sytematically destroyed and diluted into the french
system (Cameroun is a bilingual country) and its justice sytem.

It was vey common to find a francophone teacher lecturing anglophone
students physics in pidgin or you find francophone Magistrates handing
litigations in anglophone territory in french. When lawyer organized a
peaceful march against this, they were severely beaten wounded and their
robes torn. Students of the University of Buea were tortured and some raped.

Leaders of the Consortium of Anglophone Civil societies organizations that
handled negociations with  government to look into the issues ahve been
arrested and are currently court-marshalled on counts of terrorism etc.
More to that a Supreme Court Attorney General (Paul Ayah Abine) was
arrested including an appeal Court Magistrate wre currently under detention
for voicing their concern over the situation in Anglophone Cameroon

I cannot make a call from my phone either

What can you do to help us in such a horrible situation?

-- 
Aaron Agien NYANGKWE
Journalist-Outcome Mapper
P.O.Box 5213
Douala-Cameroon
Tel. 237 673 42 71 27

---

From: Maureen Hernandez <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 01:37:21 +0200

How are you now Nyangkweagien? has the situation improved?

I've found articles that we can circulate

   -
   https://qz.com/892433/cameroon-shut-down-the-internet-in-anglophone-regions-like-bamenda-buea/
   -
   http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/cameroon-anglophone-areas-suffer-internet-blackout-170125174215077.html
   -
   http://africanarguments.org/2017/01/18/cameroon-anglophone-activists-call-for-month-of-ghost-towns-before-arrests-and-internet-shutdown/

and some hashtags that we can use to make some noise:

#BringBackOurInternet
#KeepItOn

Also a tweet from @snowden
https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/824312606596988933

Let us know if there is anything we can do, praying for all of you!

2017-01-28 18:55 GMT+02:00 Arjuna Sathiaseelan <
[email-masked]>:

> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>
>

-- 

Maureen Patricia Hernández González
Systems Engineer. Universidad de Los Andes.

<https://ve.linkedin.com/in/maureenhernandez>
<https://twitter.com/maureenhg>  <https://www.facebook.com/maureen.hg>