Subject: [gaia] Cfp: Special Issue "Inequality in the Digital Environment"

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 16:08:40 +0100

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite you to submit an article to the Special Issue
on "Inequality in the Digital Environment"
http://www.mdpi.com/journal/futureinternet/special_issues/Environment_2017

Affordable Internet access has the capability of fostering development
and growth by enabling access to information, education, and
opportunities. The large gap between the opportunities available to
those who can and those who cannot access the Internet, has led to the
concept of Digital Inequality. Despite the technological advantages
offered by Internet access, such access in worldwide terms is still
limited—with an estimated 3 billion people, around half of the world’s
population, denied an equal growth opportunity due to the lack of
Internet access.

The ICT for development (ICT4D) community, including researchers, the
private sector, governments and civil society, is poised to exploit
recent advances in communications and networking technologies that can
close this gap. These new advances include the ubiquitous and
increasingly available and affordable mobile devices that connect to
communication networks wirelessly (without the extensive investment in
last-mile infrastructure), as well as the development of new network
architectures and solutions, such as cloud computing, software defined
networking, dynamic spectrum access in TV band white spaces (TVWS),
cognitive radio networks, community networking, satellite and drone
solutions. In addition, advances driven by Moore’s law are helping to
increase the
affordability of ICT solutions, including cheap and less power
consuming networking equipment.

Scientific contributions to this Special Issue are expected in order
to enrich the above-mentioned solutions, while providing specific
original and valuable results of pertaining research.

Manuscript Submission Information

Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering
and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to
go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the
deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be
published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will
be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles,
review articles as well as short communications are invited. For
planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be
sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.

Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor
be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference
proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a
single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other
relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the
Instructions for Authors page. Future Internet is an international
peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.

Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a
manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in
this open access journal is 550 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers
should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's
English editing service prior to publication or during author
revisions.

Please note, the publishers have given us an allowance to waive the
publishing costs for upto 10 papers based on our discretion. If you
are interested to submit, please let us know.

Regards
Marco and Arjuna

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan
Personal: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/
N4D Lab: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/n4d