Subject: [gaia] Unconnected Communities

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 07:51:51 +0100

All,

We are looking for communities that are currently not connected
(without GSM coverage to start with). If you know of any, I would like
to hear from you. Please send me an offline email with the details.
Thanks.

Regards
-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan
Personal: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/
N4D Lab: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/n4d

---

From: Rafael Diniz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 10:27:12 -0300

I know many Arjuna. Almost all rural areas of Amazon forest, territories
bigger than many countries in Europe. Unlucky that you missed our
presentation in Cambridge.
Why are you looking for them?

Regards,
Rafael Diniz

---

From: Rafael Diniz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 11:02:33 -0300

Just as example, take Terra do Meio, a region with many reserves in Pará
State, in Brazil (almost all communities inside the square has no
telecom access at all, apart from some communities which have HF
transceivers):
http://www.imaflora.org/desenvolvimento-local-sustentavel_terra-do-meio.php

On 05/29/2017 10:27 AM, Rafael Diniz wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>

---

From: Javier Simó <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 16:33:40 +0200

Hi Arjuna,

As you may know we work in the Amazon rainforest to bring 3G 
connectivity to villages that have not 2G connectivity yet (and a few 
ones that only have 2G). We are presently working along the Napo river 
and have worked also along the Paranapura river in Peru, but there are 
many villages in that regions that have no 2G or 3G coverage. Same 
question, why are you looking for them?

-- 

*Francisco Javier Simó Reigadas*

*Profesor, Director de la ETSIT*

*Dep**t. Teoría de la Señal y Comunic. y Sist. Telemáticos y Computación*

Universidad Rey Juan Carlos

Campus de Fuenlabrada(Madrid), España

Teléfono: 91 4888167

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>| www.urjc.es 
<http://www.urjc.es>| @URJC |

---

From: Jane Coffin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 14:35:14 +0000

Super.  

Internet Society | www.internetsociety.org

Skype:  janercoffin

Mobile/WhatsApp:  +1.202.247.8429

From: gaia <[email-masked]> on behalf of Javier Simó <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, May 29, 2017 at 5:33 PM
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [gaia] Unconnected Communities

Hi Arjuna, 

As you may know we work in the Amazon rainforest to bring 3G connectivity to villages that have not 2G connectivity yet (and a few ones that only have 2G). We are presently working along the Napo river and have worked also along the Paranapura river in Peru, but there are many villages in that regions that have no 2G or 3G coverage. Same question, why are you looking for them?

Regards,
Rafael Diniz

 
Regards

-- 

Francisco Javier Simó Reigadas

Profesor, Director de la ETSIT

Dept. Teoría de la Señal y Comunic. y Sist. Telemáticos y Computación

Campus de Fuenlabrada (Madrid), España

Teléfono: 91 488 81 67

[email-masked] | www.urjc.es | @URJC |

---

From: Arzak Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 05:10:15 +0000

Hi,

Pakistan has a very decent 2g/3g penetration in major cities of the country but when it comes to the vast province of Balochistan (Comprising 44% of the total landmass i.e. 134050 sq mi) majority of the areas are without any connectivity. Due to small and spread out populations in the mountainous areas bringing connectivity is a massive challenge specially when it does not makes a business case for the telecos to invest.  So yes we have a lot of communities that are still unconnected.

Regards,

Arzak

________________________________
From: gaia <[email-masked]> on behalf of Jane Coffin <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2017 2:35 PM
To: Javier Simó; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [gaia] Unconnected Communities

Super.

Skype:  janercoffin

Hi Arjuna,

Regards,

Rafael Diniz

All,

Thanks.

Regards

gaia mailing list

[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

--

Teléfono: 91 488 81 67

[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> | www.urjc.es<http://www.urjc.es> | @URJC |