Subject: [gaia] Fwd: ACM COMPASS 2018 Round 2 submissions: March 2nd, 2018

From: Lakshminarayanan Subramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 15:53:11 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lakshminarayanan Subramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 3:39 PM
Subject: ACM COMPASS 2018 Round 2 submissions: March 2nd, 2018
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

Hi all,

The Round 2 submissions for ACM COMPASS 2018 are fast approaching with the
paper deadline on March 2nd, 2018. The steering committee decided to extend
the deadline to March 2nd from the previous deadline in mid-Feb.

The Submission site for Round 2 has been updated to:
 https://compass18round2.hotcrp.com/

The CFP for the papers is available online (appended below) at:
http://acmcompass.org

Please submit and participate in the ACM COMPASS conference.

Thank you,
Ellen, Richard and Lakshmi

ACM COMPASS 2018: CALL FOR PAPERS

The first annual ACM SIGCAS Conference on Computing and Sustainable
Societies (COMPASS 2018) invites submissions of Full Papers for the
conference to be hosted at Facebook from June 20-22, 2018. COMPASS 2018 is
a re-creation of the ACM DEV conference, which was held annually between
2010 and 2016. Inspired by the broad agenda of the United Nations
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the new conference expands the focus
of the original conference to explicitly welcome work on all
under-represented and/or marginalized communities worldwide and to include
work on sustainability, gender equality, health, education, poverty,
accessibility, conservation, climate change, and economic growth, among
others.

To ensure strong research contributions, the conference will review papers
based on focus areas corresponding to the computing areas they draw upon.
The four focus areas for the 2018 conference are *Systems*, *HCI*, *Data
Science/AI*, and *Applications*. Possible topics for each focus area
include, but are not limited to:
*SYSTEMS FOCUS*

●      Low-cost connectivity and computing devices

●      Power-efficient systems

●      Network solutions for poorly connected regions, including white
space spectrum

●      Novel tools and applications for underserved communities

●      Mobile systems and applications

●      Special-purpose systems, e.g sensors, wireless, IVR

●      Cellular phone systems and applications

●      Measurements of existing technology in underserved regions, e.g
network deployment

●      Systems challenges and opportunities in low-resource contexts, e.g
security, sustainability, resilience

●      IT systems for smart-grids and smart-homes

*HCI FOCUS*

●      User interfaces for low-literacy populations

●      Multilingual computing

●      Participatory methods and user-centered design for low resource
contexts

●      Accessible technologies for underserved communities with
disabilities

●      User interfaces for low-cost devices

●      Adapting content and applications to local languages and education
levels

●      Understanding social relationships and information flows in
underserved communities

●      Understanding technology adoption dynamics in underserved communities

*DATA SCIENCE/AI FOCUS*

●      Computational sustainability

●      Computational social science

●      Econometric models and developmental economics

●      Novel applications for underserved communities, including in poverty
mapping, disease surveillance, population migration, health services

●      Machine learning techniques for large-scale data analysis in
development contexts

●      Data cleaning and data integration methods

●      Speech interfaces and translation for local languages

●      Computer vision challenges and opportunities in low-resource settings

●      Understanding social networks and digital media in underserved
regions

*APPLICATIONS AND OTHER FOCUS*

●      Design and evaluation of applications in health, financial
services,  education, agriculture, entertainment, and social media in
underserved regions

●      Studies of large scale deployments of technology for social good

●      Internet policy and law for underserved communities

●      Critical analyses of technology in low resource contexts

●      Blockchain applications

●      Security analyses of systems used by marginalized communities

●      Additional relevant topics not covered above

The COMPASS conference will have a model of rolling submissions, as has
been recently adopted by several other top conferences. As this is a
transition year for the conference, there will be two separate submission
dates. Papers submitted on the first deadline may be given the option of
revise and resubmit for consideration of acceptance at the conference. Full
papers will have a length limit of 7-10 pages (not including references).
The conference will have a separate track for notes (short papers of 4
pages or fewer, focusing on a single topic). Please see the FAQ page for
further clarifications. Details of the requirements for notes are below.

*All submissions are due 11:59 pm UTC. Please submit at *
https://compass18round2.hotcrp.com/*.  Use the CHI 2018 Proceedings Format
available here <https://chi2018.acm.org/chi-proceedings-format/>. See
our FAQ <http://acmcompass.org/faq/> if you still have questions! *

IMPORTANT DATES

*January 12, 2018: Round one deadline for submission of Full Papers.*

March 2, 2018: Notification of decisions for Full Papers submitted for
round one.

March 2, 2018: Round two deadline for submission of Full Papers.

March 30, 2018: Deadline for resubmission of round one papers that were not
accepted, but invited to resubmit.

March 30, 2018: Deadline for Notes.

April 13, 2018: Notification of decisions for Full Papers submitted for
round two.

April 13, 2018: Notification of decisions on resubmitted Full Papers of
round one and Notes.

May 4, 2018: Camera-ready of Full Papers accepted in rounds one and two and
Notes due.

---

From: Melissa Densmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 16:54:39 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lakshminarayanan Subramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 10:39 PM
Subject: ACM COMPASS 2018 Round 2 submissions: March 2nd, 2018
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

Hi all,

Thank you,

*HCI FOCUS*

●      Multilingual computing

*DATA SCIENCE/AI FOCUS*

IMPORTANT DATES

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"SIGDEV" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to [email-masked].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.