Subject: [gaia] University of Washington’s Allen School Seeking new PhD Students for Research in Universal Internet Access and Community Networking

From: Kurtis Heimerl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 18:54:29 -0800

Apologies for the wide posting but I feel like these lists have the kind of
people we're looking for! Feel free to forward on if there are other
communities that could be interested.

The ICTD Research Group at the University of Washington’s Allen School of
Computer Science and Engineering (http://ictd.cs.washington.edu/) is
seeking qualified students, both from the US and abroad, with an interest
in universal internet access and community networking to apply to the PhD
program in computer networking. The ICTD group, led by Professors Kurtis
Heimerl and Richard Anderson, has long worked on the problems of Universal
Internet Access internationally, with deployments and projects in both the
rural Philippines (in partnership with the University of the Philippines)
and Indonesia (in partnership with Ob Anggen). As our research shifts to
wide-area LTE networks and the infrastructure of repair, we want to find
more motivated and passionate students with interest and capacity in the
space. There is a particular interest in students with personal experience
with hard connectivity problems.

If interested, please visit the UWCSE admissions page (
https://www.cs.washington.edu/academics/phd). All students admitted to the
Allen School Ph.D. program are guaranteed funding for 3 years in the form
of a research assistantship, teaching assistantship or fellowship. All or
most of the cost of tuition is covered by the assistantship or fellowship.
If you have any questions, please direct them to Professor Kurtis Heimerl <
[email-masked]>.

A little about the University of Washington’s Allen School of Computer
Science and Engineering: Consistently ranked among the top computer science
programs in the world, the Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science &
Engineering educates tomorrow's innovators and engages in research that
advances core and emerging areas of the field. We also lead a broad range
of multi-disciplinary initiatives that demonstrate the transformative power
of computing and are nationally recognized for our success in promoting
diversity. We are located in the spectacular Paul G. Allen Center for
Computer Science & Engineering at the heart of the University of Washington
campus in Seattle — a center of innovation in software, life sciences,
global health, aerospace, and many other fields — where Allen School
faculty, students, and alumni are making an impact and changing the world.

-- 
Public Key: https://flowcrypt.com/pub/[email-masked]

---

From: Fatima Zarinni <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 01:07:52 -0500

Hi All,

I would also like to take this opportunity to mention that Professor
Kurtis's and his co-authors' paper, " Fresh Insights: User Research Towards
a Market Information Service for Bihari Vegetable Farmers" has been
accepted in ICTD 2019 !

Many Congratulations, Professor Kurtis and team ! :)

This will be a worthwhile and interesting paper to read !

Best regards,
Fatima

On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 9:55 PM Kurtis Heimerl <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Apologies for the wide posting but I feel like these lists have the kind
> of people we're looking for! Feel free to forward on if there are other
> Computer Science and Engineering (http://ictd..cs.washington.edu/
> <http://ictd.cs.washington.edu/>) is seeking qualified students, both
> from the US and abroad, with an interest in universal internet access and
> community networking to apply to the PhD program in computer networking.
> The ICTD group, led by Professors Kurtis Heimerl and Richard Anderson, has
> long worked on the problems of Universal Internet Access internationally,
> with deployments and projects in both the rural Philippines (in partnership
> with the University of the Philippines) and Indonesia (in partnership with
> Ob Anggen). As our research shifts to wide-area LTE networks and the
> infrastructure of repair, we want to find more motivated and passionate
> students with interest and capacity in the space. There is a particular
> interest in students with personal experience with hard connectivity
> problems.
>
> https://www.cs.washington.edu/academics/phd). All students admitted to
> the Allen School Ph.D. program are guaranteed funding for 3 years in the
> form of a research assistantship, teaching assistantship or fellowship. All
> or most of the cost of tuition is covered by the assistantship or
> fellowship. If you have any questions, please direct them to Professor
> Kurtis Heimerl <[email-masked]>.
>