Subject: [gaia] GAIUS: Enabling hyperlocal communities to interact and transact with local content

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2019 18:43:27 +0100

Dear all,
Some of us from the ICTD community have formed a startup to address
the issue of unavailability of local content in emerging markets.
GAIUS  (www.gaiusnetworks.com) is a New York University spinout. Our
ambition is to create decentralised sustainable highly localised
lightweight mobile web ecosystems for the next 3 billion users. The
platform includes an innovative hyper-local browser that enables
hyper-local communities in emerging markets to create, interact and
monetise local content relevant to their communities in their own
languages. GAIUS also has key technological innovations that improve
mobile web performance and early trials demonstrate that mobile pages
created within the GAIUS ecosystem have a 60% reduction in bandwidth
consumption and download upto 90% faster compared to traditional
mobile webpages. GAIUS is part of Microsoft for Startups, invited
member of the Alliance for Affordable Internet and incubated by IDEA
London (Cisco, EDF and UCL).

We are currently doing early trials in India (with Microsoft Azure)
and in Kenya (with Liquid Telecom). We just completed the first phase
of trials across 1200+ users and are now on to our next phase. We
would like to invite users from INDIA and KENYA to trial our platform.

*Users from other countries can still trial out - you will be
redirected to our test platform.

We are also looking to start a few more trials across other emerging
countries especially the Pacific Islands, so if there is interest, we
are happy to look at it.

You can download the app from:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gaius.gaiusapp&hl=en_US
*iOS and KaiOS coming soon.

Thanks.

Regards
Arjuna
-- 

Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://sathiaseelan.org

---

From: Arzak Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2019 20:26:13 +0000

Dear Arjuna,

We at Internet Policy Observatory Pakistan are keen to participate in the trials. If this is successful it can greatly help local communities here.

Best,

Arzak
________________________________
From: gaia <[email-masked]> on behalf of Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2019 5:43 PM
To: gaia <[email-masked]>
Cc: tier <[email-masked]>
Subject: [gaia] GAIUS: Enabling hyperlocal communities to interact and transact with local content

Dear all,
GAIUS  (www.gaiusnetworks.com<http://www.gaiusnetworks.com>) is a New York University spinout. Our

Thanks.

Regards
Arjuna
--

_______________________________________________
gaia mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia