Subject: [gaia] CFP: ACM MobiCom 2020 - FRUGALTHINGS 2020: 1th Workshop on Frugal Smart Objects

From: Pietro Manzoni <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 18:49:31 +0200

**Hoping that this workshop will be of interest to the members of the
group. I apologize if it is not appropriate for the list.**

FRUGALTHINGS 2020: 1th Workshop on Experiences with the Design and
Implementation of Frugal Smart Objects

http://www.grc.upv.es/frugalthings2020/

**In conjunction with ACM MobiCom 2020 - The 26th Annual International
Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, 21-25 Sep, London, United
Kingdom.**

Paper Submissions Deadline extension: June 5th, 2020 (FIRM)

## MOTIVATION AND RATIONALE
Frugal innovation employs a creative approach to problem solving which
starts from user needs and works to develop contextually appropriate
solutions that have to be scalable, durable and environmentally
sustainable, while using state-of-the-art technologies and know-how.
Frugal innovation explores the introduction of emerging technologies to new
populations, by developing ubiquitous computing systems, designing
interaction techniques, and collecting and analyzing data.
Examples of frugal innovations uncover the facilitating role of
digitization and technological advancements in developing resource
efficient and sustainable solutions. Ubiquitous internet, telecommunication
and technological tools such as 3-D printing, cloud computing, social
media, crowdfunding are a few examples.
The FRUGALTHINGS workshop focuses on frugal innovations and the application
of its goals for the design, implementation, deployment, operation and
evaluation of novel approaches and systems in the emerging cooperative
environments. We are therefore seeking original, previously unpublished
papers empirically addressing key issues and challenges in the frugal
innovation arena.

## TOPICS
* Accessibility Through Smart Objects
* App Concepts and Technologies for Different Mobile Platforms
* Applications for Social Good
* Content Distribution
* Context-awareness
* Data Collection, Organization and Dissemination Methods
* Deployment and Field Testing
* Engineering of Frugal Objects
* Game, Entertainment, and Multimedia Applications
* Human-object Interaction
* Location- and Track-based Services
* Middleware for Fog/edge Infrastructures
* Mobile Service Architectures and Frameworks
* Multimodal Interaction With Frugal Objects
* Novel Interaction Concepts for Frugal Objects
* Pervasive and Ubiquitous Services in Cloud and IoT
* Platforms and Frameworks for Mobile Devices
* Privacy and Trust Aspects Of Frugal Objects
* Protocol Design, Testing, and Verification
* Rural Areas Connectivity Solutions
* Security Issues, Architectures and Solutions
* Self-explanatory Smart Objects
* Sensors and Data Collection
* Smart Sensory Augmentation and Smart Spaces
* Technology and Models Required for Enabling The Interaction With Smart
Objects
* User Studies and Evaluation Techniques

## IMPORTANT DATES
- Workshop Paper Submissions Deadline: June 5, 2020 (FIRM)
- Workshop Paper Notification: July 1st, 2020
- Camera-ready Workshop Papers Due: July. 31st, 2020

**Submission web page:**
http://www.grc.upv.es/frugalthings2020/authors/

Accepted workshop papers will be included with the MobiCom proceedings and
published in the ACM Digital Library.
Authors of selected papers will be invited to submit an extended version to
the:
* Special Issue on "Sustainable Human-Computer Interaction Development" of
the MDPI Sustainability Journal (Impact Factor: 2.592)
* Special Issue on "AI for IoT" of the MDPI Sensors Journal (Impact Factor:
3.031)

## ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

**GENERAL CHAIRS**
* Claudio Palazzi, Università  degli Studi di Padova, Italy
* Pietro Manzoni, Universitat Politècnica de València, Spain

**TPC CHAIRS**
* Catia Prandi, University of Bologna, Italy
* Dejan Vukobratovic, University of Novi Sad, Serbia
* Giovanni Pau, University of Bologna, Italy

-- 

*Pietro Manzoni @ Universitat Politècnica de Valè**ncia (SPAIN)*

*http://www.grc.upv.es/members/pmanzoni
<http://www.grc.upv.es/members/pmanzoni>*