Subject: [Gen-art] draft-ietf-imss-ip-over-fibre-channel-03.txt is Ready for publication

From: Lakshminath Dondeti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:14:13 -0800

draft-ietf-imss-ip-over-fibre-channel-03.txt is ready for 
publication.  But, I do have one question.

First, I must admit I don't know a whole lot about this area.  The 
document is well written and received a good amount of 
review.  However, I am curious about a collection of MUSTs and 
SHOULDs and hence the question(s).

Section 2.3 says "Class 3 is recommended for IPv6, IPv4 and ARP (see 
section 4.3)."

Section 4.3 in turn says "The following types of packets MUST be 
mapped in Class 3 FC frames:"

That list contains IPv4 multicast/broadcast, IPv6 multicast, and all 
control traffic (unicast, broadcast or multicast).

Other IPv6 and IPv4 packets (i.e., unicast IP packets carrying data
    traffic) SHOULD be mapped in Class 3 FC frames as well. Support for
    reception of IPv4 or IPv6 packets mapped in FC frames of any Class
    other than Class 3 is OPTIONAL; receivers MAY ignore them.

My question is why a "MUST" on the multicast and SHOULD on 
unicast?  Is this for backward compatibility? (I did take a quick 
look at 2625 and that seems to allow other classes for unicast: 
classes 1 and 2 ?).

Nits: There are a couple of instances of the word 
"recommended."  Should those be "RECOMMENDED?"  There are also a 
couple of instances of "must" as well.

regards,
Lakshminath

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art