Subject: [Gen-art] GenART review of draft-edwards-mime-mxf-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:18:14 -0500

Background for those who may be unaware of GenART:

GenART is the Area Review Team for the General Area of the IETF.
We advise the General Area Director (i.e. the IETF/IESG chair) by
providing more in depth reviews than he could do himself of documents
that come up for final decision in IESG telechat.  I was selected
as the GenART member to review this document.  Below is my review,
which was written specifically with an eye to the GenART process, but
since I believe that it will be useful to have these comments more
widely distributed, others outside the GenART group are included.

This review was done as part of IETF Last Call.

Review criteria: "Is this document a reasonable contribution to the
area of Internet engineering which it covers?  If not, what changes
would make it so?"

This draft is basically ready for publication as an Informational
RFC, but has nits that should be fixed before publication. 

I found one minor nit - Section 3.1 uses the phrases "compressed
essence types" and "essence types".  That terminology should be
explained and the explanation should include a few specific
examples of such types.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: "Thomas Edwards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:25:36 -0500

David,

Thanks for the review of draft-edwards-mime-mxf-01.txt!

I was wondering which mentions of "essence" in Section 3.1 you thought
would benefit most from explanation of essence and examples (such as
"Interoperability considerations" or "Applications which use this media
type", etc.)

The SMPTE definition of essence is "The raw video, audio, and data
streams to be contained and described by MXF." (SMPTE 377M)

SMPTE currently has standards for the mapping of these essence types to
the MXF generic container:  MPEG, DV-DIF, Uncompressed Pictures,
SDTI-CP, D-10, D-11, AES3 audio, Broadcast Wave audio, and A-Law audio.

Thomas Edwards
Senior Manager, Interconnection Engineering
Interconnection Replacement Office
PBS
1320 Braddock Place
Alexandria, VA  22314
Phone:(703) 739-5270
Fax: (703) 739-5770      
Email: [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 10:18 AM
To: [email-masked]; Thomas Edwards
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: GenART review of draft-edwards-mime-mxf-01.txt

Thanks,
--David

_________________________________________________________________

AFRICAN AMERICAN LIVES
Join nine African Americans on an extraordinary journey to discover their past.
Wednesday, February 1st, 9/8C only on PBS
pbs.org/africanamericanlives
_________________________________________________________________

This email may contain material that is confidential or proprietary to PBS and is intended solely for use by the intended recipient.  Any review, reliance or distribution of such material by others, or forwarding of such material without express permission, is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and destroy all copies.
_________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:57:35 -0500

Thomas,

Inclusion of the following two paragraphs from your email

> SDTI-CP, D-10, D-11, AES3 audio, Broadcast Wave audio, and 

The first paragraph is crucial as the core of my concern is that
"essence" is an essentially undefined term in the draft.  The
examples in the second paragraph are much of what is needed in
that area.  In addition, I would explain what sort of data streams
(non-audio, non-video) are intended to be contained in MXF.  Please
be sure to expand all acronyms, and explain what they are when
that's not clear from the expansion (e.g., D-10, D-11).

Thanks,
--David

> From: Thomas Edwards [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 12:26 PM
> To: Black, David; [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: GenART review of draft-edwards-mime-mxf-01.txt
> 
> David,
> 
> "Interoperability considerations" or "Applications which use 
> this media type", etc.)
>