Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Review of draft-mcgrew-aes-gmac-esp-02.txt

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:25:56 -0600

I was selected as General Area Review Team reviewer for this specification
(for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Summary: This document is almost ready for publication as a Proposed 
Standard. A lot of material changed since my previous review of 01 at Last 
Call time, but I didn't see any problems.

In my review of version 01 of this document, I asked for help for 
implementors in distinguishing 32-bit and 64-bit sequence numbers (review at 
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/gen-art/current/msg00355.html). David 
agreed that this would be a good thing to add (at 
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/gen-art/current/msg00356.html), but I 
didn't see that this change had happened in version 02 (I would have 
expected a change somewhere in 3.3).

My apologies for missing the change, if it's there. It's been a long week, 
of course...

Thanks,

Spencer 

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:09:53 -0500

Looks like this could use an RFC Editor Note - here's some possible draft
text that should be placed at the end of Section 3.3 (after figure 3):

	The use of 32-bit sequence numbers vs. 64-bit extended sequence
	numbers is determined by the security association (SA) management
	protocol that is used to create the SA.  For IKEv2 [RFC4306] this
	is negotiated via Transform Type 5, and the default for ESP is to
	use 64-bit extended sequence numbers in the absence of negotiation
	(e.g., see Section 2.2.1 of [RFC4303]).

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Spencer Dawkins [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2006 4:26 PM
> To: General Area Review Team
> Cc: David McGrew; Russ Housley; [email-masked]
> Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Review of draft-mcgrew-aes-gmac-esp-02.txt
>