Subject: [Gen-art] GenART review of draft-saintandre-xmpp-iri-03

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 21:55:26 -0500

Background for those who may be unaware of GenART:

GenART is the Area Review Team for the General Area of the IETF.
We advise the General Area Director (i.e. the IETF/IESG chair) by
providing more in depth reviews than he could do himself of documents
that come up for final decision in IESG telechat.  I was selected
as the GenART member to review this document.  Below is my review,
which was written specifically with an eye to the GenART process, but
since I believe that it will be useful to have these comments more
widely distributed, others outside the GenART group are included.

This review was done as part of IETF Last Call.

Review criteria: "Is this document a reasonable contribution to the
area of Internet engineering which it covers?  If not, what changes
would make it so?"

This draft is on the right track but has open issues, described
in the review.

Section 2.5 contains the following note:

   (Note: In pursuit of interoperability, it may be helpful to maintain
   a registry of query types and perhaps even of keys for use in XMPP
   query components.  Given that such values will most likely be
   specific to particular applications of XMPP rather than core to XMPP
   itself, it seems reasonable that such a registry, if created, would
   be maintained by the Jabber Registrar function of the Jabber Software
   Foundation as described in [JEP-0053], rather than by the IANA.  A
   proposal for creating such a registry can be found in [JEP-0147].)

Given the importance of interoperability to the IETF, IESG approval of this
draft should probably be delayed until that registry is functional so that
the draft can document registration requirements for query components.
This problem is ironically caused by XMPP's success in being used by
multiple independent applications (e.g., list in Section 2.1), requiring
a registry like this to prevent collisions among their use of URIs/IRIs.

Nit - In Section 3.6 add "RFC " before "XXXX" and add an RFC Editor note
to tell the RFC Editor to replace "XXXX" with the number of the published
RFC and delete the note.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:15:25 -0700

Thanks for the review. Comments inline.

> a registry like this to prevent collisions among their use of URIs/IRIs.

That seems sensible. The document that describes the proposed registry
will need to be advanced within the Jabber Software Foundation's
standards process in order to authorize creation of the registry. That
can probably be done within a month or so, in particular following a
Last Call within that process and voting by the Jabber Council as
described at <http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0001.html>.

> to tell the RFC Editor to replace "XXXX" with the number of the published

The xml2rfc tool outputs "XXXX" for the &rfc.number; entity so I'll
hand-edit the TXT output and add the note.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
Jabber Software Foundation
http://www.jabber.org/people/stpeter.shtml

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:05:27 -0700

Update at bottom.

> described at <http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0001.html>.

After approval of the relevant document in the JSF's standards process,
the registry has been created:

http://www.jabber.org/registrar/querytypes.html

Peter