Subject: [Gen-art] GEN-ART LC Review of draft-ietf-radext-delegated-prefix-01.txt

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 17:58:06 -0500

Hi, Joe and Ralph,

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on 
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at 
<http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html>.

Summary - this draft is almost ready for publication as a Proposed Standard. 
It is short, and clearly written.

I have four observations - there may be DHCP conventions I don't know about, 
but this is how things look to me.

- The relationship between "Length" and "Prefix-Length" seems 
underspecified. If what you are saying is

   Length - the length of the entire attribute, in bytes. At least 4 (to 
hold Type/Length/Reserved/Prefix-Length for a 0-bit prefix), and no larger 
than 20 (to hold Type/Length/Reserved/Prefix-Length for a 128-bit prefix)

  Prefix-Length - the length of the prefix being delegated, in bits. At 
least 0 and no larger than 128 bits (identifying a single IPv6 address).

I'm guessing, and if you are actually saying something else, I don't know 
what it could be :-)

- Does "Reserved - Always set to zero" ever get validated as zero by a 
receiver?

- I completely missed the three-line, two-row "table" at the end of Section 
3. If you could at least indent it, and maybe even draw ASCII boxes around 
it, the specification would be much easier to grok.

- It would also be nice to have a pointer to a reference for the definition 
of "Framed-IPv6-Prefix" in Section 3, but that's extremely minor.

Please look at these comments along with any other Last Call comments you 
may  receive.

Thanks,

Spencer Dawkins 

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 09:10:11 -0400

Spencer - thanks for your review and helpful comments.

You've correctly understood the Length and Prefix-Length fields; I'll update
those definitions.

Regarding "Reserved - Always set to zero": I'll check the definition of the
Framed-IPv6-Prefix in RFC 3162 to understand the common practice (if any).

I'll add a box around the table and the final draft will have a citation for
RFC 3162 (def of Framed-IPv6-Prefix).

- Ralph