Subject: RE: [Gen-art] gen-art review of draft-ietf-sieve-imapflags-04.txt

From: "Gray, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 13:55:50 -0400

Below are my comments on the specified document, which I am 
submitting as part of the Gen-ART process.  For background 
on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at 

<http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html>.

Draft: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-imapflags-04.txt

Questions/Comments:
==================

In section 2.1, you say that spaces are acceptable (MUST be always allowed)
in flag names.  You also say that a string containing a space-separated list
of flags (I assume flags in this context is the same as flag names) is the
same as "a string list consisting of the flags."

I am not sure what this means, but it seems to say that we MUST allow spaces
as valid both as part of a flag name and as a separator between flag names.

If this is the case, does this rely on a carefully chosen set of well-known
flag names to avoid confusion?  Or does this rely on the fact that (system)
flag names must always begin with a backward slash ('\')?  If the latter, is

a space always required as a list delimiter?
___

In section 4, in the second example, it is not clear why 

'hasflag :contains "MyVar" ["label", "forward"]' 

would evaluate true, given that "MyVar" has value "NonJunk Junk gnus-forward
$Forwarded NotJunk JunkRecorded $Junk $NotJunk". 

Does "forward" 'match' with "gnus-forward" for some reason?

Also - are all of the values, in the section 4 examples, valid flag-names?

NITs:
====

Section 3, third paragraph, last sentence: "MUST cause a runtime
error" as opposed to "MUST cause runtime error"...

Section 6, first paragraph, last line: "side effect" as opposed 
to "side affect"...

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 11:14:42 +0100

>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-imapflags-04.txt
Hi Eric,
Sorry for late response, I was away last week. And thank you for the 
comments.
My answers are below, please let me know if you have any further questions.

>I am not sure what this means,
>
A string list is denoted using ["value1", ..., "valueN"] notation in 
Sieve. It is a "list of strings" in usual programming language sense.

So the text is basically saying that "value1 value 2 ... valueN" is the 
same as ["value1", "value2", ..., "valueN"]

>but it seems to say that we MUST allow spaces
IMAP flags/keywords are not allowed to contain spaces according to RFC 3501.

>Does "forward" 'match' with "gnus-forward" for some reason?
Sieve :contains return true if one of the listed substring is found. 
"forward" matches case-insensitively with both $Forwarded and gnus-forward.

>Also - are all of the values, in the section 4 examples, valid flag-names?
Yes. IMAP allows for any alpha-numeric value to be used as a keyword name.

>Section 6, first paragraph, last line: "side effect" as opposed 
Thanks, I will fix.

Alexey