Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-Art review of draft-ietf-bmwg-dsmterm-12.txt (Informational)

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 07:35:30 -0400

Oops, I missed this one.  I hope this late comment is useful in some
way.

Gen-Art front boilerplate:

        I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for
        draft-ietf-bmwg-dsmterm-12.txt.

        For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
        <http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html>.

        Please wait for direction from your document shepherd or AD
        before posting a new version of the draft.

Review summary: This draft is basically ready but has nits.

Review comments:

In addition to what others have already said, consider

    3.1.1 Classification

    Definition:
      Selection of packets based on the contents of packet header
      according to defined rules.

    Discussion:
      Packets can be selected based on the DS field or IP
      Precedence in the packet header.  Classification can also be
      based on Multi-Field (MF) criteria such as IP Source and
      destination addresses, protocol and port number.

      Classification determines the per-hop behaviors and traffic
      conditioning functions such as shaping and dropping that are
      to be applied to the packet.

The abstract says this draft is about "devices that implement traffic
control based on IP precedence or diff-serv code point criteria." I
see from the above Section 3.1.1 that such devices could use more than
the diffserv field. That's better, but then you limit what can be used
to just the packet header. In fact **classification** can be done on
anything, including what's in the payload, for example whether a
packet is HTTP.  It can even be done on input interface (real and/or
virtual), etc.  What do you think of generalizing the definition to
something simple such as "selection of packets according to defined
rules", and then add another phrase to the first paragraph of the
discussion, for example "or fields in the packet payload".

One more comment:

    3.2.1 Forwarding Capacity

I don't see anywhere where time interval is brought into play -- do
you distinguish between measurements over short versus "long" amounts
of time (burst versus sustained)?

Thanks ... Scott

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art