Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-enum-pstn-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:42:11 -0400

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for draft-ietf-enum-pstn-04.txt .
For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html>.

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

This draft is on the right track but has open issues,
described in the review.

The draft is generally in good shape; it's almost ready for
publication as a Proposed Standard RFC, but I found two relatively
minor issues that need attention, plus a couple of IANA-related
nits.  The two issues are:

(1) The use of actual phone numbers is almost certainly a
mistake.  The draft should use fictitious phone numbers
(555-XXXX subset) for the same reasons that television shows
use fictitious numbers, and that RFCs use fictitious domain
names (e.g., example.com) as well as IP addresses (e.g.,
192.0.2.26). The NeuStar folks on this email should know
(or be able to find) the current rules/details/guidelines
on fictitious phone numbers and how to use them.

(2) All the examples use an npdi to prevent subsequent lookups
in legacy-style PSTN databases.  If an npdi is something that
should or SHOULD be used with this enumservice in general, that
ought to be stated, possibly in the "Any other information the
author deems interesting:" fields of the registrations (Section 4).

-- IANA-related nits

a) The registrations in Section 4 need to be self-contained, as
they will be extracted into an IANA registry:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/enum-services

So, the "(for author contact detail see Authors' Addresses section)"
text will not work in the registry.  A reference to the to-be-
published RFC with instructions to the RFC-Editor to put in the
actual number and supply that number to IANA for registration
purposes should work.

b) Why does the IANA Considerations section include a reference
to Section 3?  The registrations that IANA needs to process
appear to be entirely contained within Section 4.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art