Subject: [Gen-art] Assignment: draft-ietf-idmr-dvmrp...

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:19:24 -0400

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for the dvmrp informational I-Ds..
For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html>.

Please wait for direction from your AD before posting a new version 
of the draft.

These documents appear ready for publication as Informational RFCs.
The following minor comments should be considered if there is other 
reason to revise the document.

Protocol:
     In section 2.4 on Designated Forwarder, in the event of a metric 
tie, the rotuer with the lowest IP address is the designated 
forwarder.  I believe that this is the router whose interface to the 
mutli-access network has the lowest IP address.  (Not, for example, 
the lowest loopback address, etc.)  A few extra words here would be a 
good idea.
    Section 2.5.1 talks about learning local group membership from 
IGMP.  Shouldn't there be some mention of source specific membership 
here? (Or am I confused and that has gone away?)
    I am guessing that the 3 octet network mask technique is used 
here for backwards compatibility, even though a network prefix length 
would be shorter?  (The protocol goes to significant lengths to save 
bytes, and the text does not say why that is not used.)
    Section 3.4.5 introduces the term "flash update."  While I have 
seen this in implementations, it is not a widely used term in our 
specifications.  An explanation would be a good idea.

Applicability Statement:
     It would have been nice to see a clearer statement of why one 
would use this rather than either PIM-DM or M-OSPF. (There is 
probably more, but one piece of the answer is the support for tunnels 
in DVMRP.)
     Given that restarting routers can, via the generation ID, cause 
significant amounts of graft, graft-ack, and prune messages, should 
this applicability statement say something about assuming underlying 
stability of the network?

-----
RTG Distance Vector Multicast Routing Protocol
     draft-ietf-idmr-dvmrp-v3-11.txt

AD: Bill Fenner
Reviewer: Joel Halpern

RTG Distance Vector Multicast Routing Protocol Applicability Statement
     draft-ietf-idmr-dvmrp-v3-as-01.txt

AD: Bill Fenner
Reviewer: Joel Halpern

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art