Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-schoenw-snmp-ether-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 09:22:09 -0400

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART) 
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see 
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html). 

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd 
or AD before posting a new version of the draft. 

Document: draft-schoenw-snmp-ether-01.txt
Reviewer: David L. Black
Review Date: 25 Sept 2006
IESG Telechat date: 28 Sept 2006 

Summary:
This draft is basically ready for publication, but has nits
that should be fixed before publication.

Comments:
This is a short update to (even shorter) RFC 1089 to define a TC
and provide somewhat better explanation of a few things, written
by a couple of experts.  The -02 version is in the queue to be
posted, but I reviewed the -01 version due to time constraints.

The -01 version would be ok to publish as-is, but I concur with
Cullen Jennings's comment that use of RFC 2119 language is
appropriate, and I specifically suggest a couple of "MUST"s in
the second paragraph of Section 3.2 to require the use of EtherType
hex 814C and use of SNAP with LLC.  I happen to know from history
that IEEE is somewhat sensitive about proper EtherType usage.

IANA needs clarification of what to do about SNMP domain
registration - see the IANA comment in the I-D tracker.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:55:56 +0200

> Comments:

[...] 

> that IEEE is somewhat sensitive about proper EtherType usage.

Does the following rephrased text address your comment:

   When serialized SNMP messages are sent in IEEE 802.3 frames (and in
   other IEEE 802 MAC frame types that can natively represent Ethernet
   type values), the Ethernet type field value of 33100 (hexadecimal
   814C) MUST be used as the link layer protocol identifier.  In IEEE
   802 LANs that use LLC as the means of link layer protocol
   identification, such as IEEE 802.11 Wireless LANs, the SNAP
   encapsulation method described in subclause 10.5 "Encapsulation of
   Ethernet frames over LLC" in [IEEE802] MUST be used.
 
> registration - see the IANA comment in the I-D tracker.

This is taken care of in the -02 version (which still sits in the
queue).

Thanks,

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:18:09 -0400

Juergen,

Yes, that rephrased paragraph would be fine.

Thanks,
--David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 4:56 PM
> To: Black, David
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Gen-ART review of draft-schoenw-snmp-ether-01.txt
>