Subject: [Gen-art] Re: Gen-ART review of draft-schoenw-snmp-ether-01.txt

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 15:20:47 -0700

I only put a comment not a discuss so you can decide to do whatever  
you want with this and don't need to wait for me - in truth I don't  
see a risk in implementors actually implement the wrong thing so I  
don't care but .....

I like the stuff you proposed - also I would change

In
    When an SNMP entity uses this transport mapping, it MUST be capable
    of accepting SNMP messages up to and including 484 octets in size.
    It is recommended that implementations be capable of accepting
    messages of up to 1472 octets in size.  Implementation of larger
    values is encouraged whenever possible.

I would move recommended to RECOMMENDED

On Sep 26, 2006, at 4:31 AM, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 02:26:43PM +0300, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
>
>> Can you indicate exactly for the RFC Editor where you suggest this  
>> text
>> to be inserted?
>
> Section 3.2, second paragraph:
>
> OLD:
>
>    When serialized SNMP messages are sent in IEEE 802.3 frames (and in
>    other IEEE 802 MAC frame types that can natively represent Ethernet
>    type values), an Ethernet type field value of 33100 (hexadecimal
>    814C) is used as the link layer protocol identifier.  In IEEE 802
>    LANs that use LLC as the means of link layer protocol  
> identification,
>    such as IEEE 802.11 Wireless LANs, the SNAP encapsulation method
>    described in subclause 10.5 "Encapsulation of Ethernet frames over
>    LLC" in [IEEE802] is used.
>
> NEW:
>
>    When serialized SNMP messages are sent in IEEE 802.3 frames (and in
>    other IEEE 802 MAC frame types that can natively represent Ethernet
>    type values), the Ethernet type field value of 33100 (hexadecimal
>    814C) MUST be used as the link layer protocol identifier.  In IEEE
>    802 LANs that use LLC as the means of link layer protocol
>    identification, such as IEEE 802.11 Wireless LANs, the SNAP
>    encapsulation method described in subclause 10.5 "Encapsulation of
>    Ethernet frames over LLC" in [IEEE802] MUST be used.
>
> /js
>
> -- 
> Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
> <http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen,  
> Germany

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art