Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-dnsext-trustupdate-timers

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:03:16 -0600

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for
draft-ietf-dnsext-trustupdate-timers-05.txt

For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html>.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-dnsext-trustupdate-timers-05.txt
Title: Automated Updates of DNSSEC Trust Anchors
Reviewer: Vijay K. Gurbani <[email-masked]>
Review Date:  January 26, 2007
IESG Telechat date:  January 29, 2007

Summary: This draft is basically ready for publication, but has
nits that should be fixed before publication.

This document describes a mechanism where a resolver can
update the trust anchors (= name + key) for a given trust
point in an automated fashion.

Substantive comments below, followed by nits:

* The last paragraph  of S2.1 appears to point to an example
  in S2.2.  If so, it may be best to move that paragraph into
  S2.2.

* In S2.3, it may be helpful to derive an equation in the first
  paragraph, much as done in the second paragraph.  This will
  help implementors tremendously.  I think the appropriate
  equation should be as follows (please do double-check):

    queryInterval = MIN (1 hr,
                         MIN(15 days, 1/2*OrigTTL,
                                      1/2*RRSIGExpirationInterval))

* Need body for the reference [msj2].

* I note that this document is an Informational, but it
   contains IANA considerations.  I am not up to speed on IETF
   regulations about whether Informationals can contain IANA
   considerations or not...

Nits:

* S1, third paragraph:
   s/manage this many/manage these many

   s/herein/here

   s/e.g.  Consider/e.g., consider

* S1, fourth paragraph:
   s/they should be/these should be

* S2, first paragraph:
   s/see [RFC4034]section/see [RFC4034] section

* S2.3, first paragraph:
   s/(e.g. do a/(e.g., do a

* S4.2, first paragraph:
   s/(e.g.  KeyRem/(e.g., KeyRem

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
2701 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9F-546, Lisle, Illinois 60532 (USA)
Email: vkg@{alcatel-lucent.com,bell-labs.com,acm.org}
WWW:   http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/bell-labs

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: Mike StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:38:45 -0500

>  in S2.2.  If so, it may be best to move that paragraph into

Nope... it points to the example in the current (S2.1) section.

>                                      1/2*RRSIGExpirationInterval))

OK - but the formula is

queryInterval = MAX(1 hr, MIN (15 days, 1/2*OrigTTL, 
1/2*RRSigExpirationInterval))

>* Need body for the reference [msj2].

Actually - no - that was a CREF comment that will fall out when this 
is formatted as an RFC.  I'll remove it with the nits though.

>   regulations about whether Informationals can contain IANA

The document is actually a standards track document.

>   s/manage this many/manage these many

OK

>   s/herein/here

No - herein is correct

>   s/e.g.  Consider/e.g., consider

OK - but its actually E.g., consider

>   s/they should be/these should be

OK - I believe either is correct, but I'll make the change.

>   s/see [RFC4034]section/see [RFC4034] section

OK

>   s/(e.g. do a/(e.g., do a

OK - fill fix missing commas here and other places

>   s/(e.g.  KeyRem/(e.g., KeyRem

Yup.