Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Review of draft-ietf-pana-pana-18

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 16:50:48 -0500

Document: draft-ietf-pana-pana-18
Reviewer: Spencer Dawkins
Review Date: 17 Sept 2007
IESG Telechat date: 20 Sept 2007

Summary: This document is ready for publication as a Proposed Standard.

Comments: I would love to see a clarification in 4.1, as follows, but even 
if the ADs agree, this is RFC Editor note material.

At the very end of 4.1, this new-since-17 text appears:

   The PaC may need to reconfigure IP address after successful
   authentication and authorization phase to obtain an IP address that
   is usable for exchanging data traffic through EP.

At the beginning of 5.6, this new-since-17 text appears:

   A PaC's IP address used for PANA can change in certain situations,
   e.g., when IP address reconfiguration is needed for the PaC to obtain
   an IP address after successful PANA authentication (see Section 4.1)
   or when the PaC moves from one IP link to another within the same
   PAA's realm.

In 4.1, I don't understand WHY the PaC needs to reconfigure its IP address 
"to obtain an IP address that is usable for exchanging data traffic through 
EP".

So I'm guessing at what happened, to make reconfiguration necessary. I WAS 
guessing that this had to do with mobility, but 5.6 lists PaC mobility as a 
separate reason to reconfigure the IP address, so I'm thinking the 4.1 text 
must refer to some situation I don't understand (that is not PaC mobility).

If this text could explain why reconfiguration is required when PaC mobility 
does NOT take place, that would be swell.

I'm also curious about the 4.1 text at the end of the same paragraph:

   How IP address
   reconfiguration is performed is outside the scope of this document.

because I'm not sure what "IP address reconfiguration" actually means in 
this sentence, but that could be my ignorance - if so, sorry.

Thanks,

Spencer

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: "Alper Yegin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:48:22 +0300

Hi Spencer,

Thanks again.

> does NOT take place, that would be swell.

PANA Framework document has more explanation on that. From Section 3 of
draft-ietf-pana-framework-10.txt

   The PaC dynamically or statically configures an IP address prior to
   running PANA.  After the successful PANA authentication, depending on
   the deployment scenario the PaC may need to re-configure its IP
   address or configure additional IP address(es).  For example, a link-
   local IPv6 address may be used for PANA and the PaC may be allowed to
   configure additional global IPv6 address(es) upon successful
   authentication.  Another example: A PaC may be limited to use a IPv4
   link-local address during PANA, and allowed to reconfigure its
   interface with a non-link-local IPv4 address after the
   authentication.  General-purpose applications cannot use the
   interface until PANA authentication succeeds and appropriate IP
   address configuration takes place.

I think we should be referring to here instead of section 4.1 of pana spec.

> this sentence, but that could be my ignorance - if so, sorry.

I hope the above cut-pasted text explains it. And if there is a better
wording to describe, please let us know.

Alper

---

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 06:46:30 -0500

Hi, Alper,

The text you are pointing to is extremely helpful. It seems appropriate to 
explicitly point to the framework draft in sections 4.1 and 5.6, with 
something like

"For reasons described in section 3 of [PANA-FRAMEWORK] (or whatever the 
reference turns out to be), the PaC may need to reconfigure IP address after 
..."

And that's it for this Gen-ART reviewer!

Thanks,

Spencer