Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-magma-mgmd-mib-10

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:47:02 +0300

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call 
comments you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-magma-mgmd-mib-10.txt
Reviewer: Pasi Eronen
Review Date: 2007-09-
IETF LC End Date: 2007-09-13
IESG Telechat date: 2007-09-20

Summary: This draft is on the right track but has open issues,
described in the review.

Comments:

As noted on the MIB Doctors list, this draft probably shouldn't 
have gone to IETF last call yet -- the MIB doesn't even pass
a MIB compiler, and has a number of other problems.

However, I'm not a MIB expert, so my review is limited to general
issues:

1) Section 3: " All tables are intended for EITHER router OR host
functionality as indicated by the name and corresponding description,
although it is anticipated that there would be scenarios where both
terms might apply to a device, e.g. a router which joins a multicast
group also as a host for measurement purposes."

At least in the case of IPv6, a router is required to join certain
multicast groups, right? And even in IPv4, wouldn't a router
normally join 224.0.0.2?

2) Terminology: The term "MGMDv1" (and "MGMDv2", "MGMDv3") is
used in several places: does this mean IGMPv1, MLDv1, both of 
them, is this some weirdness caused by a search-replace accident?

3) Description of "mgmdRouterInterfaceProxyIfIndex" object:
"Such a device would implement the mgmdV2RouterBaseMIBGroup"
I can't find the definition of "mgmdV2RouterBaseMIBGroup" anywhere?

4) The security considerations section is a bit confused about what
object belongs to what table. For example, to me it looks like
mgmdRouterInterfaceVersion would be in mgmdRouterInterfaceTable, not
mgmdRouterCacheTable?

5) The following objects seem to have read-create MAX-ACCESS, 
but are not mentioned in the security considerations section:
mgmdHostInterfaceStatus, mgmdHostInterfaceVersion,
mgmdRouterInterfaceProxyIfIndex.

6) There is no discussion about what MIB objects (if any) might
contain sensitive information.

7) idnits (tool output fixed to weed out false positives):

Mismatching filename: the document gives the document name as
'draft-ietf-magma-mgmd-mib-09', but the file name used is
'draft-ietf-magma-mgmd-mib-10'

There are 6 instances of too long lines in the document, the 
longest one being 3 characters in excess of 72.

Reference style: some of the references are cited as "[RFC 1112]"
(with a space), but listed in references section as "[RFC1112]"
(without a space).

Reference style: RFC 3376 is cited just as "[3376]", but listed
in references section as "[RFC3376]".

Reference style: RFC 2119 is cited as "[KEYWORDS]", but
listed in references section as "[RFC2119]".

Unused Reference: 'RFC2863' is defined on line 1740, but no explicit
reference was found in the text

Unused Reference: 'RFC4001' is defined on line 1743, but no explicit
reference was found in the text

Unused Reference: 'RFC3414' is defined on line 1765, but no explicit
reference was found in the text

Unused Reference: 'RFC3415' is defined on line 1769, but no explicit
reference was found in the text

Unused Reference: 'RFC4605' is defined on line 1773, but no explicit
reference was found in the text

Best regards,
Pasi

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art