Subject: [Gen-art] Assignments for 20 Sept 2007

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:20:19 -0500

Hi all,

Here's the link to the summary of assignments for the Sept. 20, 2007
telechat:
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/reviewers-070920.html

With the updated spreadsheets:
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-by-reviewer.html

For your convenience, the review boilerplate template is included below.

Mary. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: 
Reviewer: 
Review Date:  
IESG Telechat date: 20 Sept 2007

Summary:

Comments:

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 15:19:05 -0400

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
Last Call reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
<http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html>http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html). 

Document:  An Extensible Markup Language (XML) Patch Operations 
Framework Utilizing
                   XML Path Language (XPath) Selectors
Reviewer:  Joel M. Halpern
Review Date:  16-September-2007

Summary: This document appears ready for publication as a Proposed Standard.
     If a revision of the document is needed, the minor comments 
below should be considered for inclusion.

Assumption:  It is assumed by this reviewer that appropriate 
attention has been given to whether publication of this document 
would constitute encroachment on the turf of the W3C, and that 
appropriate liaison steps have been taken in order to ensure that the 
situation is well understood on both sides.

Comments:
Minor:
         I presume that there is related work in the W3C, and some 
reference to that work, or to the absence of such work, would 
probably be appropriate in the early part of this document.  If there 
is related work, an indication of the differences in target / 
approach would be helpful.

         When giving examples in the text, it would be helpful if one 
could tell which parts of the example are literal, and which are 
substitutable.  For the <add> element, the text talks about the 
'type' attribute equalling "@attr", but then it becomes clear that 
the intention is an at-sign followed by the name of the attribute to 
be added.  It also talkds about the 'type' attribute with the value 
"namespace::pref" and I am pretty certain that the intention is that 
the value must use the literal string 'namespace' and then the prefix 
intended to be used is to appear where 'pref'' appears.  But it is 
really hard to tell.

---

From: Jari Urpalainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:50:25 +0300

Thanks Joel, responses in-line.

ext Joel M. Halpern wrote:
>     If a revision of the document is needed, the minor comments below 
> should be considered for inclusion.
>
> Assumption:  It is assumed by this reviewer that appropriate attention 
> has been given to whether publication of this document would 
> constitute encroachment on the turf of the W3C, and that appropriate 
> liaison steps have been taken in order to ensure that the situation is 
> well understood on both sides.
>
Liaison to w3c has been sent ~ 2 years ago when we had the BoF  about this.
> reference to that work, or to the absence of such work, would probably 
> be appropriate in the early part of this document.  If there is 
> related work, an indication of the differences in target / approach 
> would be helpful.
>
right, there's certainly some overlap/similar work. That said, i'd 
rather not start listing those differences nor approaches, it is imo 
beyond the scope of this work.
> substitutable.  For the <add> element, the text talks about the 'type' 
> attribute equalling "@attr", but then it becomes clear that the 
> intention is an at-sign followed by the name of the attribute to be 
> added.  It also talkds about the 'type' attribute with the value 
Right, examples don't clearly say about this. However, in chapter 4.3 
starting with "The value of the optional 'type' attribute is only used 
when adding attributes and namespaces...." it should be pretty clear 
what the intentions are. Also, the w3c schema indicates the allowed 
values of the 'type' attribute. So imo, the required information exists, 
do you have some rephrasing proposals ?
br, Jari