Subject: [Gen-art] review of draft-levin-mmusic-xml-media-control-12.txt

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:28:34 +0100

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive.

Document: draft-levin-mmusic-xml-media-control-12.txt 
Reviewer: Francis Dupont
Review Date: 2007-11-14
IETF LC End Date: 2007-12-15
IESG Telechat date: unknown

Summary: Ready

Comments: I have no approved tool to check the XML schema and examples,
BTW is there such a thing? XML Doctors?
My comments are only editorial comments, i.e., they should be handled
by the RFC Editor:
 - Abstract page 2: described method described (only one described please :-)
 - 1 page 3: RFC-2119 -> RFC 2119 (in order to make search easier I'd like
  to limit the number of ways to cite an RFC)
 - 3 page 4: document[7]. -> document [7].
 - 6 page 6: please expand the "UAC" abbrev.
 
Regards

[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:22:15 +0200

> BTW is there such a thing? XML Doctors?

There is:

I use the W3C Schema validation with Xerces C++, available at:

http://validate.openlaboratory.net/

It is the only tool who really really really detects a bunch of errors 
that none of the other tools detect.

The only problem with the tool is that you need to provide one example 
and all the needed XML schemas. In other words, you cannot just provide 
the XML schema and verify if it has errors: you need to accompany it 
with an example.

/Miguel
-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Siemens Networks     Espoo, Finland

---

From: "Even, Roni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:28:46 +0200

Hi,
The schema and example were reviewed by Pete Cordell in the IESG last call, he gave comments that were addressed.
There are typos in the schema (three places with xsd instead of xs) that will be fixed in the AUTHOR48. 
I used xmlspy to edit and validate the schema (without those typos)
Roni Even

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Miguel Garcia [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:22 AM
> To: Francis Dupont
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; Even, Roni
> Subject: Re: [Gen-art] review of draft-levin-mmusic-xml-media-control-
> 12.txt
> 
> 
> 
> Francis Dupont wrote:
>

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:02:52 +0200

Roni:

With all my respect to XML Spy, I would recommend you to use the Xerces 
validator. Usually XML Spy does not detect errors, such as UPA constraints.

/Miguel

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:43:19 +0200

Roni:

I have check the schema and the first example, and they validate with no 
errors. However, I am surprised to see that:

a) the schema does not define a target namespace
b) the examples do not include a target namespace

without these two, I think it is not possible to correlate an example 
with a schema. I don't know how Xerces does not report an error, but all 
the other XML schemas and documents that we have in SIMLE, for example, 
contain target namespaces.

c) There is no IANA registration of the URN namespace (well, that is 
consistent with the absence of a namespace, but I think it should be 
present).
d) There is no IANA registration of the XML schema.

Well, I think you should contact the IETF XML Directory and ask for a 
review. I don't consider myself an XML expert... just someone who has 
been playing around with it.

/Miguel

Miguel Garcia wrote:
>> The schema and example were reviewed by Pete Cordell in the IESG last 
>> call, he gave comments that were addressed.
>> There are typos in the schema (three places with xsd instead of xs) 
>> that will be fixed in the AUTHOR48. I used xmlspy to edit and validate 
>> the schema (without those typos)
>> Roni Even
>>

---

From: "Even, Roni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:55:25 +0200

Miguel,
This draft captures current implementations. The previous releases had a name space defined while the example did not. (This was the feedback from Pete Cordell). I found out that shipping implementations behaved according to the example and not the schema with a target name space. Pete suggested that the draft should align either to the example or the schema. So in order to capture the interoperability in shipping products it meant to have it as is now.
I assume that some implementation look also at the media type
Roni

> Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 12:43 PM
> To: Even, Roni
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:58:56 +0200

Roni:

Aha, I realize now that this draft isn't the product of an IETF working 
group, in which case, my points c) and d) below might not make sense.

But still I am confused with the namespace... I always thought that any 
XML document needs to indicate to which namespace their elements and 
attributes belong.

/Miguel