Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART LC review of draft-ietf-bfd-mpls-05.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 10:35:45 +1200

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: Rahul Aggarwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:35:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the comments. Please see below prefixed by <RA>:

1. 6. Session Establishment

   A BFD session is boot-strapped using LSP-Ping. This specification
   describes procedures only for BFD asynchronous mode.

Should you state explicitly that BFD Demand mode MUST NOT be used?

<RA> I will spell out that BFD demand mode is out of scope.

7. Encapsulation

   ...

   The BFD control packet sent by the ingress LSR MUST be a UDP packet
   with a well known destination port 3784 [BFD-IP] and a source port
   assigned by the sender as per the procedures in [BFD-IP]. The source
   IP address is a routable address of the sender. The destination IP
   address is randomly chosen from the 127/8 range,

This is written in IPv4 terms. What happens in an IPv6-only environment?
There is no range of loopback addresses to borrow in IPv6, but you could
use a ULA prefix.

<RA> The procedures of RFC 4379 need to be used which is
basically a destination IPv6 address from the range
0:0:0:0:0:FFFF:127/104. I will spell this out. Thanks for the catch.

Will fix the idnits.

Thanks,
rahul

On Thu, 1 May 2008, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 15:42:52 +1200

Hi Rahul, thanks.

But I'm about to file an erratum against RFC 4291.
0:0:0:0:0:FFFF:127/104 is definitely ambiguous notation.
127 could be decimal or hexadecimal

0:0:0:0:0:FFFF:127.0.0.0/104 or 0:0:0:0:0:FFFF:7F/104
would be unambiguous. I think the second one is cleaner.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter
   University of Auckland

P.S. The Brian Carpenter who said 'no objection' to this
in the IESG ballot on draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping must have
been someone else ;-)