Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Review of draft-ietf-pim-bsr-mib-04.txt

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 09:02:33 -0500

Hi, Bharat,

What follows is my suggestion only, so please filter it appropriately...

>> 5.  Definitions
>>
>>    pimBsrCandidateRPStatus OBJECT-TYPE
>>        SYNTAX     RowStatus
>>        MAX-ACCESS read-create
>>        STATUS     current
>>        DESCRIPTION
>>                "The status of this row, by which new entries may be
>>                created, or old entries deleted from this table.
>>
>> Clarity: I'm sorry, but I don't get "status by which new entries may be
>> created/old entries deleted" - is that actually how it works? I would 
>> have
>> thought the status was the side effect of creation/deletion, not how
>> creation/deletion actually happens. s/by which new/used to identify when
>> new/? but I'm guessing here.
>>
>
> The 'RowStatus' object is used for two purposes. One is to provide the
> current status of a Row and another is to create/delete a specific Row.
> So this statement looks ok.

Your explanation is very helpful. It would be great if your explanation 
ended up in the description itself. Perhaps something like

        DESCRIPTION
                "The status of this Row, used for two purposes - to create 
or
                 delete a specific Row from this table, and to provide the
                 status of a Row in this table"

If you're using a technique that's commonly used in MIB-land, fine, but 
manipulating an object by changing its "status" violates the principle of 
least astonishment, at least for this reader :-)

Either way - thanks for the quick response. Gen-ART reviewers love quick 
responses because we can remember why we wrote what we wrote...

Spencer 

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: Bharat Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 07:18:39 +0530

Hi Spencer,

> least astonishment, at least for this reader :-)

Yes. It is something commonly used in MIBs. This is defined as Textual Convention and has been standardize in RFC 2579. Here are the excerpts from this RFC:

RowStatus ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    STATUS       current
    DESCRIPTION
            "The RowStatus textual convention is used to manage the
            creation and deletion of conceptual rows, and is used as the
            value of the SYNTAX clause for the status column of a
            conceptual row (as described in Section 7.7.1 of [2].)

Let me see if I can enhance the text in this object in all tables.

Regards,
Bharat

> responses because we can remember why we wrote what we wrote...

**************** CAUTION - Disclaimer *****************
This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system.
***INFOSYS******** End of Disclaimer ********INFOSYS***
_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 21:47:43 -0500

Hi, Bharat,

Much less astonishing - thanks for your patience!

Spencer

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bharat Joshi" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Spencer Dawkins'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; "'General Area 
Review Team'" <[email-masked]>; "'Mike McBride'" <[email-masked]>; 
"'Stig Venaas'" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 8:48 PM
Subject: RE: Gen-ART Review of draft-ietf-pim-bsr-mib-04.txt

Hi Spencer,

> least astonishment, at least for this reader :-)

Yes. It is something commonly used in MIBs. This is defined as Textual 
Convention and has been standardize in RFC 2579. Here are the excerpts from 
this RFC:

Regards,
Bharat

**************** CAUTION - Disclaimer *****************
This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely 
for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, 
please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, 
you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to 
any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain 
viruses. Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this 
risk, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any 
virus in this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus checks before 
opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and 
review the content of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. 
Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys 
e-mail system.
***INFOSYS******** End of Disclaimer ********INFOSYS***