Subject: [Gen-art] FW: [Fwd: Gen-art review of draft-ietf-enum-infrastructure-07.txt]

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:22:01 -0500

I'm forwarding this review which did not seem to make it to the
archives.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Gen-art review of draft-ietf-enum-infrastructure-07.txt
Date: 	Thu, 19 Jun 2008 20:51:03 +0100
From: 	Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
To: 	General Area Review Team <[email-masked]>
CC: 	Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked], [email-masked],
[email-masked], [email-masked],
[email-masked], IETF Discussion <[email-masked]>

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART) reviewer
for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive.

[Apologies for not making the Last Call deadline.]

Document: draft-ietf-enum-infrastructure-07.txt
Reviewer: Elwyn Davies
Review Date: 19 June 2008
IETF LC End Date: 16 June 2008
IESG Telechat date: -

Summary:
This document is almost ready for the IESG.  There are a couple of
semi-editorial issues that it would be good to flesh out as noted below
and the IANA considerations are incomplete.  It may also require
additional statements regarding the IAB's actions on the administration
of the new sub-domain of .arpa in line with RFC 3761.

Comments:
1. The structure of the Infrastructure ENUm domain:
The term 'parallel namespace' is used in the Abstract and s3 implicitly
importing the mapping of E.164 telephone numbers to URIs as set out in
RFC 3761.  I think that to make it quite clear what is going on, it
would be worth stating something like:
  Parallel namespaces means that Infrastructure ENUM provides an
(additional) Dynamic Delegation Discovery System (DDDS) database which
follows the rules set out in Section 2.4 of RFC 3761, except that at
stage 4 the string ".[IANA TBD - maybe i164].arpa" is added rather than
".e164.arpa". [This might require a reference to RFC 3403].

2. "Infrastructure ENUM Tier 2 resource records" (s3, para 2):  This
terminology is pure PSTN and needs explanation for the RFC audience.

3. A question: RFC 3761 makes comments that only diallable numbers
should be presented to the database.. is that equally true for
Infrastructure ENUM?    I understand that blocks of numbers owned by a
provider might be registered even if they aren't all in use.  Does this
require a comment?

4. RFC 3761 takes over the delegation of of e164.arpa, and gives
instructions to IANA regarding this delegation.  This document should
make similar statements about the new subdomain (e.g. i164.arpa).

5. RFC 3761 contains statements about IAB actions relating to the
e164.arpa domain.  Presumably similar statements are needed for the new
domain.  These need to be agreed with the IAB (I know there has been
discussion already). This may be no more that a further enlargement on
the 'parallel namespace' clarifcation above.

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art