Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Review of draft-sanchez-webdav-current-principal-01

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 18:47:47 +0300

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document..........:  draft-sanchez-webdav-current-principal-01
Reviewer..........:  Christian Vogt
Review date.......:  September 24, 2008
IESG Telechat date:  September 25, 2008

Summary:  This draft is basically ready for publication, but has nits
          that should be fixed before publication.

This document explains the need for a new WebDAV property containing
the principal of an online resource, and it specifies such a property.

The document is in good shape overall, and I think it can be published
very soon.  However, I have one technical comment, which may either
require some rethinking and rewriting, or some additional explanation
in the document.  I have also identified a few editorial nits, which
are easy to fix.

TECHNICAL

Section 3, 2nd paragraph of "description" field:

  This paragraph specifies the return value for the principal resource
  in case there are multiple possible values.  The return value is in
  this a case to be freely chosen by the server.  Why not return all
  possible values?

  The disadvantage of returning only a single principal resource value
  is that it may lead to consistency problems.  The paragraph attempts
  to prevent this by urging servers to /try/ to be consistent.  But
  since consistency cannot be guaranteed, consistency problems may
  still come up.  Always returning all possible values would fix this.

  The authors should consider changing the protocol behavior to always
  returning all available principal resource values.  If there are
  reasons to restrict the number of values returned to a single one,
  then these reasons should be explained in section 3 of the document.

EDITORIAL

Section 1, 1st paragraph:

  The acronym "ACL" appears here for the first time and should
  therefore be spelled out.

Section 1, 1st paragraph:

  "principal resource" which --> "principal" resource, which

Section 1, 2nd paragraph:

  recommended way to do identify --> recommended way to identify

Section 3, "purpose" field:

  current authenticated --> currently authenticated

Section 3, "value" field:

  The value is currently specified to always be a DAV:href element.
  But according to the description that follows, it could also be a
  DAV:unauthenticated element.  This inconsistency should be fixed.

Section 4:

  issues beyond those defined in HTTP --> issues beyond those
  identified for HTTP

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art