Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-ippm-duplicate-07.txt

From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:27:17 +0100

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-ippm-duplicate-07.txt
Reviewer: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Review Date: 28 January 2009
IETF LC End Date: 10 February 2009
IESG Telechat date: 12 February 2009

Summary: This draft is on the right track but has open issues, described 
in the review.

Major issues: While I don't have any problem with the technical contents 
of the draft, I must say that the IANA Considerations section is almost 
nonexistent and not acceptable.

First, the draft should clearly identify the registry where IANA has to 
act. I am assuming that this registry is: 
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ianaippmmetricsregistry-mib
But please note that it is not allowed to refer to registries by URI. So, 
the draft should refer to the registry by name, which seems to be "IPPM 
Metrics Registry MIB". Notice the "MIB" added at the end, which is 
currently missing in the document.

Second, the draft has to list literally all the data that IANA has to 
include in the registry. This exercise is not done, and I believe IANA 
does not have the capability to do it. Since the registry where new 
values have to be added was created by RFC 4148, and since that RFC 
contains a template for IANA registration of extensions (see Section 5.2 
in RFC 4148), the draft must do the exercise of listing the data to be 
added to the registry according to that template.

Third, remove the following sentence from the IANA Considerations section:

    This section can be removed
    after this has been done and upon publication as a RFC.

This is because the IANA Considerations section is always preserved after 
publication of the document.

/Miguel

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia
+34-91-339-3608
Ericsson Spain
_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:20:49 +0100

Hi Miguel,

> nonexistent and not acceptable.

Thanks for the comments.  This IANA section was copied from another draft
which had essentially the same request and was processed just fine by IANA.
The text requesting the action was replaced upon publication with what
IANA did.

Henk

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.amsterdamned.org/~henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Belgium: an unsolvable problem, discussed in endless meetings, with no
          hope for a solution, where everybody still lives happily.
_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art