Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-ippm-delay-var-as-01

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 22:38:05 -0800

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document..........:  draft-ietf-ippm-delay-var-as-01
Reviewer..........:  Christian Vogt
Review date.......:  Jan. 7, 2009
IESG Telechat date:  Jan. 8, 2009

Summary:  This draft is ready for publication as Informational RFC.

This document compares two widely used metrics for measuring packet
delay variations, and it provides guidance with respect to when to use
which of the metrics.

I found the document clearly ready for publication.  It is very
informative and easy to read.  The comparison and guidelines provided by
the document are relevant given the resemblance of the observed metrics
and the variety of use cases to which the metrics potentially apply.
Furthermore, the document includes an excellent motivation and survey of
related work; this renders it useful for readers of different levels of
expertise in the field of performance measuring.  Also, the document is
perfectly embedded into existing work through a large number of
well-placed references.

Two nits, which should be fixed prior to publication, are the following:

- Section 1.1, 3rd paragraph:  "Lost and delayed packets are separated
   by a waiting time threshold." -- Since the waiting time threshold
   does not only apply to those packets that are lost or delayed, this
   sentence should be rephrased to:  "Packets for which one-way loss or
   delay is measured are...".

- Section 3.2, 4th-to-last paragraph:  "The error in the alignment
   process can be accounted for by a factor, A." -- A is an offset
   (addend) here, not a factor.

Best regards,
- Christian

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 09:04:45 -0500

Christian,

Thanks for your (very kind) review.  We'll take care of the
two nits you identified in the next version.

Al and Benoit