Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-kitten-extended-mech-inquiry-06.txt

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 18:12:12 -0400

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for
draft-ietf-kitten-extended-mech-inquiry-06.txt

For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html>.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive.

Summary: This draft is almost ready for publication as Proposed Standard.

Substantial
===========

* Section 3.4.4

Shouldn't the output "name" be released with GSS_Release_buffer() as well?

Minor
=====

* The IANA considerations section describes the policy for future 
allocations as "IESG Protocol Action". Is it possible to use a known 
policy (Standards Action or IESG Approval, perhaps) for this?

* Section 3.4.3

GSS_Inquire_mech_attrs_for_mech() needs to be replaced by 
GSS_Inquire_attrs_for_mech() as the former does not exist.

Editorial
==========
* Section 3.4.6:

Replace
"To avoid this error we hereby define new typdefs which
                                           ^^^^^^^
with
"To avoid this error we hereby define new typedefs which

* IANA Considerations

s/namsepace/namespace/

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 18:09:07 -0500

> draft-ietf-kitten-extended-mech-inquiry-06.txt

Thanks.

> Summary: This draft is almost ready for publication as Proposed Standard.

No, because it's bound to be a constant.

Background: originally the GSS-API required all gss_OID values to be
released, but in practice it turned out that those were always
effectively constant, thus gss_release_oid() was unnecessary (except
when applied to the output of the obsoleted gss_str_to_oid()).

In this case we're talking about a name that's going to be effectively
constant too.

> policy (Standards Action or IESG Approval, perhaps) for this?

Oh, that's a mistake.  I need to dig out what the consensus had been in
the WG.  We'll definitely correct that during the publication process.

> GSS_Inquire_attrs_for_mech() as the former does not exist.

Indeed, that's an editing error on my part.  Good catch.

> Editorial

*nod*

> s/namsepace/namespace/

*nod*

Thanks!

Nico
--

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 21:09:43 -0400

Hi Nico,
   Thanks for the quick response. Your responses address all my concerns.

Thanks
Suresh