Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-webdav-bind-23

From: "McCann Peter-A001034" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 12:41:47 -0400

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART) reviewer
for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html
<http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html> ). 

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive. 

Document: draft-ietf-webdav-bind-23
Reviewer: Pete McCann
Review Date: 29 May 2009
IETF LC End Date: 28 May 2009
IESG Telechat date: unknown 

Summary: Ready for publication as Experimental.  I had a few minor
         questions that might just be a result of my own lack of
         understanding.

Major issues: 

Minor issues: 

Section 2.3:
   If because of multiple
   bindings to a resource, more than one source resource updates a
   single destination resource, the order of the updates is server
   defined.
Are you trying to say that a Request-URI can map to more than one
resource?  I didn't think this was possible.

   If a COPY request would cause a new resource to be created as a copy
   of an existing resource, and that COPY request has already created a
   copy of that existing resource, the COPY request instead creates
   another binding to the previous copy, instead of creating a new
   resource.
This confused me a bit, but after reading the examples in the next
section I think I understand what is intended here: do you mean that
if the resource graph pointed at by the Request-URI itself has multiple
bindings to the same resouce, that resource is only copied once by 
the COPY operation?

Nits/editorial comments: 

Abstract:  s/insure/ensure/

---

From: Geoffrey M Clemm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 04:45:11 -0400

"McCann Peter-A001034" <[email-masked]> wrote on 05/29/2009 
> resource?  I didn't think this was possible.

This is the scenario where the source collection, S, contains two bindings 
to two distinct resources (S/a->R1 and S/b->R2), while the destination 
collection D contains two bindings to the same resource (D/a->R3 and 
D/b->R3).  If you copy S to D, then after the copy, it is up to the server 
whether R3 has the same content as R1 or R2.

So it is a case of two bindings to the same resource, not a single URI 
being mapped to more than one resource (which as you say, is impossible).

> bindings to the same resouce, that resource is only copied once by 

Yes.

> Abstract:  s/insure/ensure/

Agreed.

Cheers,
Geoff

---

From: Geoffrey M Clemm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 04:45:11 -0400

Yes.

Agreed.

Cheers,
Geoff