Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-mpls-tp-requirements

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:25:26 -0700

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call
comments you may receive.

Document..........:  draft-ietf-mpls-tp-requirements
Reviewer..........:  Christian Vogt
Review date.......:  July 15, 2009

Summary:  This draft is basically ready for publication, but has nits
           that should be fixed before publication.

This document specifies protocol requirements for MPLS in packet
transport networks.  The document is of very good quality, with an
elaborate introduction explaining the background for this document.

Two editorial nits that the authors should consider addressing prior
to publication of this document are the following:

- The fourth paragraph on page 6, which is part of the introduction,
   already specifies a requirement.  I suggest moving this to section
   2, since this is the section that is dedicated to requirements.

- The first paragraph of section 2 is a duplicate; it already appears in
   the introduction.  I suggest removing it from section 2.  The
   paragraph is important for the reader to understand the scope of the
   document, and hence should retain its prominent position in the
   introduction rather than the position in section 2.

Best regards,
- Christian

On Jul 2, 2009, The IESG wrote:

> The IESG has received a request from the Multiprotocol Label  
> Switching WG
> (mpls) to consider the following document:
>
> - 'MPLS-TP Requirements '
>   <draft-ietf-mpls-tp-requirements-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard
>
> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
> final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to  
> the
> [email-masked] mailing lists by 2009-07-16. Exceptionally,
> comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please
> retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>
> The file can be obtained via
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-requirements-09.txt
>
>
> IESG discussion can be tracked via
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=18021&rfc_flag=0

---

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 18:21:21 +0100

All,

I propose the following RFC Editor note...

Section 1

OLD
   Although both static and dynamic configuration of MPLS-TP transport
   paths (including Operations, Administration and Maintenance (OAM) and
   protection capabilities) is required by this document, it MUST be
   possible for operators to be able to completely operate (including
   OAM and protection capabilities) an MPLS-TP network in the absence of
   any control plane.
NEW
   MPLS-TP transport paths may be established using static or dynamic
   configuration. It should be noted that the MPLS-TP network and its
   transport paths can always be operated fully (including OAM and
   protection capabilities) in the absence of any control plane.

- - - -

Section 2
OLD
   This document specifies the requirements of an MPLS Transport Profile
   (MPLS-TP).  The requirements are for the behavior of the protocol
   mechanisms and procedures that constitute building blocks out of
   which the MPLS transport profile is constructed.  That is, the
   requirements indicate what features are to be available in the MPLS
   toolkit for use by MPLS-TP.  The requirements in this document do not
   describe what functions an MPLS-TP implementation supports.  The
   purpose of this document is to identify the toolkit and any new
   protocol work that is required.
NEW
   The MPLS-TP requirements set out in this section are for the behavior
   of the protocol mechanisms and procedures that constitute building
   blocks out of which the MPLS transport profile is constructed.
   That is, the requirements indicate what features are to be available
   in the MPLS toolkit for use by MPLS-TP.

- - - -

Please let me know if this is acceptable.

A
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Christian Vogt" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; 
<[email-masked]>; "Gen-ART Mailing List" <[email-masked]>; 
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:25 AM
Subject: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-mpls-tp-requirements

>> The IESG has received a request from the Multiprotocol Label  Switching 
>> WG
>> final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to  the
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>

---

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:50:17 -0700

Adrian -

Your proposed RFC Editor notes are excellent.  I consider this Gen-ART
review addressed.  Thanks.

- Christian

---

From: "Sprecher, Nurit (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:47:49 +0200

Hi,
I agree with the new texts. Thanks for the proposal.
Best regards,
Nurit

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Adrian Farrel [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:21 PM
To: Christian Vogt; [email-masked]; Sprecher, Nurit (NSN
- IL/Hod HaSharon); [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Cc: Gen-ART Mailing List; Loa Andersson
Subject: Re: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-mpls-tp-requirements

All,

Section 1

OLD

- - - -

Section 2
OLD

- - - -

A
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Christian Vogt" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; 

>> The IESG has received a request from the Multiprotocol Label
Switching 
the
>> The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-requirements-09.t
xt
>> IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=
18021&rfc_flag=0