Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-art reiew of draft-ietf-rohc-ipsec-extensions-hcoipsec-05

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 18:11:32 +0100

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-rohc-ipsec-extensions-hcoipsec-05
Reviewer: Elwyn Davies
Review Date: 24 September 2009  (Apologies for slightly late review)

Summary: Almost ready.  There should probably be a formal ASN.1 description 
of the additional fields in the 'Processing' component of the SPD as well as 
the informal textual description to match RFC 4301. I believe this document
should be specified as updatinbg RFC 4301 (IPsec).

Major issues: None.
Minor issues: 
Status:  Presumably this document should be classified as updating RFC 4301 
since it modifies the SPD etc.

SPD additions:
In Section 2.1 some additional fields to be added to the SPD 
Processing component are described informally.  RFC 4301 which has the 
unmodified version of the  Processing component also has a formal ASN.1 
description.  I think this document needs an updated  ASN.1 desciption also.

Further the description talks about adding 'processing info' fields if the 
'processing info field is set to PROTECT'.  Although this partly reflects the 
wording in the body of RFC 4301, it is rather confusing when looking at the 
ASN.1.  The wording of para 3 of S2.1 might be better as:
  If the SPD entry is an IPsecEntry (to PROTECT traffic) then the Processing
  item of the IPsecEntry must be extended with the following items:

Nits/editorial comments: