Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-reschke-rfc2731bis-02

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 06:43:39 +0800

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).
Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive.

Document: draft-reschke-rfc2731bis-02
Reviewer: Spencer Dawkins
Review Date: 2009-10-01
IETF LC End Date: 2009-10-07
IESG Telechat date: (not known)

Summary: This document is almost ready for publication as an Informational 
RFC.

I have three comments on this short draft...

I wish the IETF community had a clearer understanding of the relationship 
between Historic and Obsolete than we have, but that's a comment for IESG 
action, not a comment that can be reasonably made in response to Last Call 
for this document. Having said that, I THINK this document should be doing 
both (setting RFC 2731 to Historic AND Obsolete in the RFC Editor database). 
The title says one, and the text says the other - both should mention both 
actions, because neither is a superset of the other.

I agree with David Harrington's Last Call comment that including the name of 
the RFC being declared Obsolete/Historic in the title of this draft would be 
appropriate. I don't expect most members of the IETF community would 
remember what RFC 2731 was about (sure, you can actually open the document, 
but most of us probably wouldn't need to do that).

Julian pointed out in Last Call discussion that the Dublin Initiative has 
been maintaining this specification for nearly 10 years. It would probably 
be helpful if the document provided this timestamp - perhaps something like

   [RFC2731] defines "Encoding Dublin Core Metadata in HTML".  Newer
   specifications published by the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative [1]
   (DCMI) over the past decade, in particular "Expressing Dublin Core 
metadata using HTML/
          ^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^
   XHTML meta and link elements" (DC-HTML,
   <http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-html/>), have obsoleted this
   work.

Thanks,

Spencer