Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-reqts-03

From: "McCann Peter-A001034" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:54:24 -0400

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART) 
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html ).

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive. 

Document: draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-reqts-03
Reviewer: Pete McCann
Review Date: 2009-09-22
IETF LC End Date: 2009-09-22
IESG Telechat date: unknown 

Summary: Ready, one question

Major issues: None

Minor issues: 

The definition of a Replica contains the following:

      Updates to replicas of the same fileset MUST appear to occur in
      the same order, and therefore each replica is self-consistent at
      any moment.

      We do not assume that updates to each replica occur simultaneously
      If a replica is offline or unreachable, the other replicas may be
      updated.

However, later in the document we find this text:

   N2:  It is not necessary for updates and accesses to the federation
        data to occur in transaction or transaction-like contexts.

Is the "federation data" just the metadata held in the NSDB, or
does it include actual file contents?

The requirement on replicas being updated in the same order seems to
imply some sort of transaction semantics among the online replicas,
no?

Nits/editorial comments: 

Section 5:

   replica occur simultaneously
SHOULD BE:
   replica occur simultaneously.

---

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:11:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Thank you for your review. Responses below:

> imply some sort of transaction semantics among the online replicas,

The statements made in N2 are regarding the NSDB. The "federation data" 
refers to the NSDB records. No file data is stored in the NSDB. We 
will clarify this point before publication.

>    replica occur simultaneously.

ACK