Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-ipsecme-traffic-visibility-09

From: "McCann Peter-A001034" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:53:10 -0400

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART) reviewer
for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html
<http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html> ). 

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive. 

Document: draft-ietf-ipsecme-traffic-visibility-09
Reviewer: Pete McCann
Review Date: 2009-10-29
IETF LC End Date: 2009-10-28
IESG Telechat date: unknown 

Summary: One minor issue to discuss

Major issues: none

Minor issues: 

Section 2:
   As can be seen, the WESP format extends the standard ESP header
   by the first 4 octets for IPv4 and by 8 octets for IPv6. The
   WESP header is integrity protected, along with all the fields
   specified for ESP in RFC 4303.
Normally ESP wouldn't need to process encapsulation headers that
appear prior to the SPI.  Won't this require modification of the 
ESP implementation, possibly breaking its modularity?  Would
it be problematic for certain algorithms to include this data?
It might be good to state that.

Nits/editorial comments: none